Buffalo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Onyrlef

Not that kind, the fish. This past week I undertook a relatively difficult upstream paddle on a local river. About 5 mi. into it I noticed large schools of 3-4lb buffalo ( carp) feeding along the banks. Growing up we'd always considered Buffalo to be a trash fish, but I'm now hearing they're quite good to eat when properly prepared. I noticed too, that if I approached quietly I could get right on top of them without spooking them off. On that note, I've procured a telescoping gig and the plan is to stalk and gig a few fish to check them out. I've also youtubed a few videos where anglers catch them on a hook baited with corn, but the current runs fairly swift and I'm not sure about that method, there anyway.

I have known of people that eat carp, but I would not. I know what they eat.
Matt_C

I have known of people that eat carp, but I would not. I know what they eat.
Matt_C
People have been eating both catfish and mullet since forever and they're bottom feeders. People eat pork, ever seen what a pig will eat?

Not that kind, the fish. This past week I undertook a relatively difficult upstream paddle on a local river. About 5 mi. into it I noticed large schools of 3-4lb buffalo ( carp) feeding along the banks. Growing up we'd always considered Buffalo to be a trash fish, but I'm now hearing they're quite good to eat when properly prepared. I noticed too, that if I approached quietly I could get right on top of them without spooking them off. On that note, I've procured a telescoping gig and the plan is to stalk and gig a few fish to check them out. I've also youtubed a few videos where anglers catch them on a hook baited with corn, but the current runs fairly swift and I'm not sure about that method, there anyway.
I've had pickled carp. It was pretty good, and the pickling dissolved the bones.

That said, make sure you check you state's fishing regs about the gigging. Just because they're not considered a sport fish doesn't mean you can take them with any method.

I've had pickled carp. It was pretty good, and the pickling dissolved the bones.

That said, make sure you check you state's fishing regs about the gigging. Just because they're not considered a sport fish doesn't mean you can take them with any method.
I did and couldn’t find a thing on it. I was concerned because I remembered in Colorado they’d throw away the key if you were caught gigging Salmon or Brown Trout. You couldn’t even be in possession of a gig in Colorado.

I did and couldn’t find a thing on it. I was concerned because I remembered in Colorado they’d throw away the key if you were caught gigging Salmon or Brown Trout. You couldn’t even be in possession of a gig in Colorado.
Yes, that's what I meant. I'm pretty confident that there isn't any (or many) states that have a rule against gigging "non-game" fish like carp - or Buffalo, which is actually a member of the sucker family. I know that in CA and here in AR they actually have archery tournaments for carp.

I did and couldn’t find a thing on it. I was concerned because I remembered in Colorado they’d throw away the key if you were caught gigging Salmon or Brown Trout.
Was a long time ago but I remember folks using a fishing bow & arrow setup to catch carp at a nearby lake. Wonder what regs something like that these days might look like...

Of course, Google offers all kinds of info:
Can you fish with a bow and arrow?

Section 2.25 - Bow and Arrow Fishing (a) Bow and arrow fishing is permitted only for the taking of carp, goldfish, Sacramento (Western) Sucker, Sacramento blackfish, hardhead, Sacramento pikeminnow and lamprey, all year, except in: (1) Designated salmon spawning areas (See Fish and Game Code Section 1505).

Was a long time ago but I remember folks using a fishing bow & arrow setup to catch carp at a nearby lake. Wonder what regs something like that these days might look like...

Of course, Google offers all kinds of info:
I did some more research after Tulecreeper rudely reminded me there are laws. As long as it's not a gamefish you can use dynamite here in Texas ( not really), but you can gig and use a spear (bow). However I think, at least in Texas, you could use an assault rifle with.a 30 rd. clip, if you're 12, have a fishing license, a blood alcohol less than 4.0 and at least one 4'x6' American flag flying from the bed of your truck.

Last edited:
Growing up in Detroit, lots of people ate carp and loved it. We would do snag fishing for them and sell them to folks that drove by making a few bucks. Too young to know how they were prepared besides being very slow cooked in a big pot with lots of wonderful spices.

Last edited:
I did some more research after Tulecreeper rudely reminded me there are laws. As long as it's not a gamefish you can use dynamite here in Texas ( not really), but you can gig and use a spear (bow). However I think, at least in Texas, you could use an assault rifle with.a 30 rd. clip, if you're 12, have a fishing license, a blood alcohol less than 4.0 and at least one American flag at least 4'x6' flying from the bed of your truck.
Sorry, force of habit. :cool:

Well, I don't know all the rules, but Indiana still has these on it's books.

Here's a couple good ones:

1. In Muncie, Indiana it’s a crime to carry fishing tackle into a cemetery.
  2. In Indiana and Kansas, no one may catch fish with their bare hands.

I think any fish can taste great if you spice it up.

While most Americans do not like a lot of bones in fish, many Asians are the opposite, and think the more bones make a tastier fish.

-Don- Reno, NV

I like it. I’m not into killing for fun or anything I don’t eat so if I do manage to gig a few and they fry up well I told my bride I may invest in a bow fishing rig.
In many lakes, the carp are causing a terrible fisheries problem by muddying up the water, spoiling nesting habitat for more desirable fish, and just plain overpopulating. So, many Fish & Game agencies see this as a way to "thin the herd".

In many lakes, the carp are causing a terrible fisheries problem by muddying up the water, spoiling nesting habitat for more desirable fish, and just plain overpopulating. So, many Fish & Game agencies see this as a way to "thin the herd".
That makes sense.

That makes sense.
There are also a few local companies that take the catch and turn it into fertilizer. And, of course, in some areas many SE Asians hang around and take some of it for themselves at the end of the day. It doesn't all go to the landfill.

i've eaten carp long ago and they are very earthy tasting. one thing for sure, there is a lot of meat on one.
the only way i would ever eat any again is it were cooked in a smoker all spiced up.
here's a pic of one of the weed control grass carp they use in lakes here that are catch and release only
got it on my ultralite outfit in the kayak.

Attachments

• grass carp.jpg
    grass carp.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom