Buffalo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i've eaten carp long ago and they are very earthy tasting. one thing for sure, there is a lot of meat on one.
the only way i would ever eat any again is it were cooked in a smoker all spiced up.
here's a pic of one of the weed control grass carp they use in lakes here that are catch and release only
got it on my ultralite outfit in the kayak.
What did you catch it on?

i've eaten carp long ago and they are very earthy tasting. one thing for sure, there is a lot of meat on one.
the only way i would ever eat any again is it were cooked in a smoker all spiced up.
here's a pic of one of the weed control grass carp they use in lakes here that are catch and release only
got it on my ultralite outfit in the kayak.
The old timers stewed carp with tons of spices and a ham bone or two kind of like a good wild Turkey recipe. I never had it smoked with lots spices but that could be really good! Real soul food… good stuff done up right.

I don't know about him, but here the Grass Carp are very difficult to catch. Mainly because they are herbivores. I see them in a few of the lakes while bass fishing, and they can be huge. I've been told that they can be caught with pieces of watermelon, or sometimes if you can find a fruiting mulberry tree you can use the mulberries for bait. I've never tried it, but a lot of the ones I've seen are over 3-feet long so I imagine it would be quite a fight.

I don't know about him, but here the Grass Carp are very difficult to catch. Mainly because they are herbivores. I see them in a few of the lakes while bass fishing, and they can be huge. I've been told that they can be caught with pieces of watermelon, or sometimes if you can find a fruiting mulberry tree you can use the mulberries for bait. I've never tried it, but a lot of the ones I've seen are over 3-feet long so I imagine it would be quite a fight.
Some guy on YouTube uses corn. He says they’re real fighters. I’m going out tomorrow, weather permitting. The Buffalo I’m after are in a swift flowing River, just below a dam. I’m taking a gig and I’ve rigged some tackle to try catching some with corn.

Some guy on YouTube uses corn. He says they’re real fighters. I’m going out tomorrow, weather permitting. The Buffalo I’m after are in a swift flowing River, just below a dam. I’m taking a gig and I’ve rigged some tackle to try catching some with corn.
There are a few sub-species of Buffalo. I think you have the Smallmouth type. They get pretty dang big. I think the TX state record is 82 pounds. Take pictures.

caught it on red wigglers. saw a show called Ky Affield and they had a segment on fishing for them at that lake and the guy was in some kind of Carp Fishing club and had some special concoction with a lot of stinky ingredients.

Well, I don't know all the rules, but Indiana still has these on it's books.

Here's a couple good ones:

1. In Muncie, Indiana it’s a crime to carry fishing tackle into a cemetery.
  2. In Indiana and Kansas, no one may catch fish with their bare hands.
I remember one year during the construction of Lake Monroe in IN. there was severe flooding in farmers fields along contributory streams. Dad, my BIL and I used dip-nets to catch carp trying to get back in the streams when flood waters were receding. We filled the bed of dad's pickup with carp we planned to use for fertilizer.
A man stopped in a black Cadillac and asked if he could have some because his family like to eat them.
Dad said yes and the man filled the trunk of his Calillac, thanked dad and happily drove away. None of us thought to ask how he cooked them so they were good to eat, but he did mention having to remove the mud vein first while cleaning them.

Today on the Walbash river, the state DNR uses electricity to make some kind of foreign invasive fish surface, dip them up into vats, then destroy them.
When driving a boat on the river, the sound/vibration of the motor causes these invasive fish to jump out of the water into boats, with some occupants being hurt by a flying fish.

I remember one year during the construction of Lake Monroe in IN. there was severe flooding in farmers fields along contributory streams. Dad, my BIL and I used dip-nets to catch carp trying to get back in the streams when flood waters were receding. We filled the bed of dad's pickup with carp we planned to use for fertilizer.
A man stopped in a black Cadillac and asked if he could have some because his family like to eat them.
Dad said yes and the man filled the trunk of his Calillac, thanked dad and happily drove away. None of us thought to ask how he cooked them so they were good to eat, but he did mention having to remove the mud vein first while cleaning them.

Today on the Walbash river, the state DNR uses electricity to make some kind of foreign invasive fish surface, dip them up into vats, then destroy them.
When driving a boat on the river, the sound/vibration of the motor causes these invasive fish to jump out of the water into boats, with some occupants being hurt by a flying fish.
Those are Asian Carp.

Well?

So the gig bounced off the buffalo as if I were trying to gig a cinder block, best I came up with were some scales that were size of a quarter. I swear one of 'em looked back and said "you talking to me". Anyway I've got a heavier gig, industrial size, on the way and I'm going to attach it to a heavier pole. I ended up bending the telescoping gig pole, so it and the gig are headed back to Amazon. Tried the corn but no luck.

So the gig bounced off the buffalo as if I were trying to gig a cinder block, best I came up with were some scales that were size of a quarter. I swear one of 'em looked back and said "you talking to me". Anyway I've got a heavier gig, industrial size, on the way and I'm going to attach it to a heavier pole. I ended up bending the telescoping gig pole, so it and the gig are headed back to Amazon. Tried the corn but no luck.
I think you might need something like this on a broom or rake handle.

1694892583540.jpeg

A pig will eat anything plant or animal, its omnivorous. . This video explains and shows how to remove the mud vein and clean carp:
Uh, no. There is no "mud vein". It's not that carp are stinky - they're not, they're just slimy - or that they taste bad - they don't, the meat is actually pretty good - it's simply that there are so many bones in them that it is difficult to get nothing but meat. The only way I've eaten it when it wasn't full of tiny bones was when it was pickled. Apparently the pickling dissolved most of them.

And the lateral line is only the part of the nervous system that allows the fish to be able to sense movement in the water; it has nothing to do with the smell of the flesh.

Pressure cook carp & can it . Make a " salmon patty " & fry. Your guests will brag on the salmon.
I can honestly say I got fooled.

Wow some Texas bashing! ANyway, As a kid we caught carp or sunfish, used them in eht garden. Some folks would fill a bucket for cooking.

When stationed at Da Nang, I actually had a part time job at the USO. The Viet Namese workers we had there made us a banquet, Cooked up the biggest carp I had ever seen, it was quite good.

At least where I grew up in OK there were white bellied carp and yellow bellied species in the same rivers and lakes. The white carp are very good when pressure cooked but the yellow tastes bad. There are also what we called mud catfish with dark bellies that are also not fit to eat.

I've also heard alligator gar are tasty but they are bony also. Their teeth make them hard to deal with. Most people take them with a bow and arrow so the arrow acts like a handle.

Last edited:
Wow some Texas bashing! ANyway, As a kid we caught carp or sunfish, used them in eht garden. Some folks would fill a bucket for cooking.

When stationed at Da Nang, I actually had a part time job at the USO. The Viet Namese workers we had there made us a banquet, Cooked up the biggest carp I had ever seen, it was quite good.
Wow, it’s Texas humor, we’re allowed that here.

At least where I grew up in OK there were white bellied carp and yellow bellied species in the same rivers and lakes. The white carp are very good when pressure cooked but the yellow tastes bad. There are also what we called mud catfish with dark bellies that are also not fit to eat.

I've also heard alligator gar are tasty but they are bony also. Their teeth make them hard to deal with. Most people take them with a bow and arrow so the arrow acts like a handle.
You eat the back strap on alligator gar, no bones and it’s very good. There are seasons on them here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom