California vs Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Arch Hoagland said:
The thing I've noticed about Florida is their roads are the smoothest in the country.
You know when I moved here I hated the fact there are toll roads everywhere since I had lived in California most of my life where toll roads are as rare as alligators. Then my BIL visited and drove me around. He used the toll roads and I was shocked at how smooth and nice they were. They actually use the money to keep the roads in great repair. I got a SunPass immediately. I have been back to California twice since then and I was shocked at how bad some of the roads are. I-40 is like driving off road. In fact when Lou S. took me out to the Race Track in Death Valley it was smoother.

I'd like to trade governors with Florida.

our gas is going up 20 cents per gallon in Nov. (the first of several increases) and the registration fees are going way up too.

[quote author=TonyDtorch]our gas is going up 20 cents per gallon in Nov. (the first of several increases) and the registration fees are going way up too.[/quote]

I don't look forward to the increases, but hopefully we'll get some of those roads fixed.

When we go to the MidWest (twice a year), we use several toll roads, and I always remark how well maintained they are. But, they're usually freeways, and some secondary roads make CA roads seem smooth.

Born in California, lived in California, moved away from California never to return,except when required by travel. Never had a desire to see Florida. Maybe someday we'll make the trek east, although it is not even on the radar.

Tom said:
I don't look forward to the increases, but hopefully we'll get some of those roads fixed.

When we go to the MidWest (twice a year), we use several toll roads, and I always remark how well maintained they are. But, they're usually freeways, and some secondary roads make CA roads seem smooth.

Back in the 70's our roads here in California were the pride of the nation.  They're are at the point of being dangerous now.

kdbgoat said:
I was stationed in San Diego for the summer of 1980 and enjoyed it as much as a sailor could on $211 a month. It rained once when I was there, poured about 40 drops to the acre! I also lived in Florida for a while. I enjoyed both places. The biggest drawback I would have living in California would be the cost of living. I have a few friends and a bunch of family in Florida.

...What ...Everyone was paid $211 per month as a Private E1 for involuntary servitude in 1971 !....    10 years later and you guys never even got a pay raise ?

Yes the worst part of CA is the cost of living....and the roads.  ;)

Tom said:
I often think that it would be difficult to pick a single 'ideal' place to live the rest of our days; Every place we've been has pros and cons.
I totally get that. Every place I have been has some good things about it. Every place also has some negatives. We intend on eventually buying a condo in the Midwest near kids and grandkids while continuing to travel. Is the Midwest my favorite part of the country? No, but family makes it seem just fine. It will be a lot more relaxing to pay family to watch the place and handle anything that comes up rather than a management company. I guess when we can't travel any more I will put up a wall sized mural of the Rockies and live on memories.

[quote author=UTTransplant]Is the Midwest my favorite part of the country? No, but family makes it seem just fine.[/quote]

Same here. I don't like the humidity (it's 80 degrees and 94% RH this week and I'm glad we're not there), and I'm not a big fan of the winter snow. But Chris has to have her Grandma fix. We could stay with either family, but having the town home gives us the ability to have our own time.

Several years ago, while Chris was staying with one of the families (I was at home), I asked her to look around for an apartment we could rent, to see if we liked the idea of our own place there. She found a nice place, but they wouldn't give any discount for paying a year's rent in advance, and they wanted to go through all kinds of 'qualifying' stuff. Had I been there, I would have grabbed a suitcase, gone to the bank and picked up $12,000 (a year's rent) in $1 bills, and dumped it on the counter asking "does this qualify?" Instead, I told Chris to go buy a place, which she did.

It will be a lot more relaxing to pay family to watch the place and handle anything that comes up rather than a management company.

I figure 'the bank of Dad' has paid forward somewhat  ;D but we obviously repay the kids for stuff they need to buy for us.

TonyDtorch said:
...What ...Everyone was paid $211 per month as a Private E1 for involuntary servitude in 1971 !....    10 years later and you guys never even got a pay raise ?

My bad, $211 per pay period, twice a month.

interesting thread.
I was born in CA but left as a little tike...
Military bratt but most of my upbringing happened midwest and east coast
have lived in FL since mid 1994 except for a 10 month stretch
as an adult I have traveled a lot for work all over the 48 and a good bit to Canada too...but never to CA, except a short ski / work visit to Tahoe
but for some reason I am drawn to CA. 
Everything I see.... Yosemite is a prime example... is right on up there with the most beautiful place in the world IMHO.
but
I can never imagine myself living there.  A shame really

kdbgoat said:
I was stationed in San Diego for the summer of 1980 and enjoyed it as much as a sailor could on $211 a month. It rained once when I was there, poured about 40 drops to the acre! I also lived in Florida for a while. I enjoyed both places. The biggest drawback I would have living in California would be the cost of living. I have a few friends and a bunch of family in Florida.
I was stationed there in feb-june of 82 2 months before i went anywhere with the raincoat, bet they would like that weather for a little while now.

I grew up in the Pacific Northwest but the Navy brought me to San Diego in the late 70s, and I've lived here ever since. In the Navy, I was fortunate enough to be stationed Pensacola, Fl for awhile, and thought it was a real nice place.

The San Diego area is, IMO, one of the most beautiful parts of our country, with arguably some of the best year-around weather in the world. With tall mountains to the east, an international border to the south, beautiful beaches to the west and (thankfully) a barrier between us and LA to the north (Camp Pendleton) what's not to like?

Well... how about the largest budget deficit in the country, the highest overall tax rates in the country, some of the highest vehicle registration fees in the country, the highest electrical rates in the country (our electrical bill was $985.00 last month) the highest water rates in the country, the highest gasoline prices in the country (typically), the highest population in the country, the highest homeless population in the country, (would mentioning the highest illegal alien population in the country be too political?) some of the worst roads in the country... but hey, it's sure nice weather out here.

Kev

Born in 1944 in Tillamook, OR.  When I was 15 we moved to Fillmore, CA.  One year later (1960) moved to Santa Cruz, CA. In 1999 moved to Oregon City, OR near Portland.  In 2009 moved to Ocala, FL.  Love it here.
I agree with Arch, Florida roads are great.  California's roads are horrible, especially I-5.

wackymac said:
Born in 1944 in Tillamook, OR.  When I was 15 we moved to Fillmore, CA.  One year later (1960) moved to Santa Cruz, CA. In 1999 moved to Oregon City, OR near Portland.  In 2009 moved to Ocala, FL.  Love it here.
I agree with Arch, Florida roads are great.  California's roads are horrible, especially I-5.
Sounds like you were following me around mac. I lived in Ventura in the 60s, 70s and 80s then in Santa Cruz in the 90s and now I live near Orlando.

Paradise is transient,  you need a house on wheels to live there. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom