Camp Ground Etiquette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am loving the stories and great input here. Thank you! We are more than happy to be sociable and like the suggestion of setting up camp chairs to reflect openness, which is what we instinctively did on our first outing I am realizing, and exchanged greetings as folks passed by with their kiddos or dogs.

There was also a field of friendly horses near our campsite which was a gathering place for people to come to pet and feed carrots. That was a real treat. 

We are looking forward to meeting people as we travel and it is a lot of fun to see the variety of trailers and rigs and individuality folks bring to their camp site set up. We were definitely checking out the set ups of others as we walked each day and it was part of the fun.

Unexpected kindnesses or connections with fellow travelers are something we anticipate offering and receiving and know that kind of thing will unfold naturally.

I've only been RVing for a few months, and I've already had my fill of old dudes who want to offer me their "nickel's worth of free advice" during setup or teardown. It's condescending of them to assume I don't already know the basic camper thing they're interrupting me to "explain." I just smile and say thanks, but it sure is frustrating. The "RV park" lifestyle seems to come with its own set of neighbor yuckiness. I got a trailer so I could get AWAY from all of that nonsense!

jesseo715 said:
I've only been RVing for a few months, and I've already had my fill of old dudes who want to offer me their "nickel's worth of free advice" during setup or teardown. It's condescending of them to assume I don't already know the basic camper thing they're interrupting me to "explain." I just smile and say thanks, but it sure is frustrating. The "RV park" lifestyle seems to come with its own set of neighbor yuckiness. I got a trailer so I could get AWAY from all of that nonsense!

They are not always "old" dudes.  There are lots of young experts out there too.?  I have to agree with you though.  Sometimes, I am doing something that makes perfect sense and someone wants to chime in and tell me how to I can do it better not understanding that I already thought the whole thing through.  Now I have to stop and explain my thought process to someone who has no business interrupting me.

In a perfect world I would have the space camping to be alone but campgrounds can't make any money giving me that much space or at least I couldn't afford to stay therefore they did.

Most of my experiences have been positive though.  One campground had the fire rings so close to the next spot I wondered if they ever considered there is 50+ gallons of fuel a few feet from the fires.  Another guy told me he "Didn't know the law but...." and then went on to explain that my tail lights needed lit that the Dolly lights didn't cut it.  If you don't know the law then keep quiet!

Most times when someone is annoying me it isn't that they are trying too (loud music etc) it is just the proximity of space.

jesseo715 said:

I am an old dude who has been camping off and on for many years.  I never offer unneeded advice unless it is obvious someone is having a problem or has done something obviously wrong to the point where it would be dangerous for them.  I have NEVER been approached by another RVer offering unsolicited advice but HAVE been approached by many who just want to start a friendly conversation.  Since you want to get away from "all that nonsense" it may be best if you search out campsites that offer a degree of privacy that you seem to be seeking.  In the meantime, us 'old dudes' will continue to enjoy ourselves socializing with other 'old dudes.'.................lol

Bill

I have NEVER been approached by another RVer offering unsolicited advice...

Then you're fortunate, Bill.

When I was in the Tetons recently, spaces in my loop were snug, and I had to back my rig in. There was a large log right at the back end of the space, and I had to get out and look around to be sure I wasn't hitting trees on the roof or upper sides. But just as I stopped with my tow bar a couple of inches short of the log, an older gentleman (well, maybe not older than me) ran over from the next site and tried to gesture me a little further in. But I got out to look (I'd seen it in my camera) to confirm I was exactly where I wanted to be, and had to explain to him that if I went back any further that when I leveled it would first dump all the air, then extend the jacks. And that lowering of the coach would put the tow bar on the log, which I obviously didn't want.

He was well meaning, but I saw he was driving a gasser and he evidently didn't understand that I had to deal with the coach going lower first.

That wasn't the first time I've had someone offer unsolicited advice, but fortunately it's rare.

Bill N said:
I am an old dude who has been camping off and on for many years.  I never offer unneeded advice unless it is obvious someone is having a problem or has done something obviously wrong to the point where it would be dangerous for them.  I have NEVER been approached by another RVer offering unsolicited advice but HAVE been approached by many who just want to start a friendly conversation.  Since you want to get away from "all that nonsense" it may be best if you search out campsites that offer a degree of privacy that you seem to be seeking.  In the meantime, us 'old dudes' will continue to enjoy ourselves socializing with other 'old dudes.'.................lol

Bill
:):)

The best advice I can offer is this.  If you are a social person, continue to be a social person.  If you are more of an introvert, that is what you are probably going to be the most comfortable doing when you are camping.....so continue to camp like that.  The bottom line is that your camping experience is YOUR time, to do what you like to do best....whether it's socializing, or spending time away from the others around you.  Having said that, I'm not condoning being rude to others, but being firm in your commitment to do what you planned on doing during YOUR camping time.  Of course, there can and will be exceptions to this occasionally, when something may unexpectedly comes up, but try to stay on course with your plans........and when something different happens, accept the fact that nothing in life is certain and there will always be "exceptions from the norm".

I am an old dude who has been camping off and on for many years.  I never offer unneeded advice and...I have NEVER been approached by another RVer offering unsolicited advice.
But then again I take about two minutes to set up after I arrive at my site so there isn't much time for anyone to offer help.

I'm pretty new at the whole RV camping thing, but I have found that the degree of friendliness at a campground is a direct reflection of the ratio of travelers to those who live there full time (or at least for the season). Invariably when I am at a campground that is totally or mostly short term stay, like one or two nights, the folks are open and friendly. When the bulk of the people in the campground are full timers they are more inclined to ignore the person setting up and staying for the night. I'm OK with it either way, but many of my nicest experiences while stopping at RV parks has nothing to do with the park or the amenities but is more based on the nice folks that I met and the interesting conversations that I have had. Oh, and having a dog with you certainly encourages neighbors to come by and comment.

jesseo715 said:
I've only been RVing for a few months, and I've already had my fill of old dudes who want to offer me their "nickel's worth of free advice" during setup or teardown. It's condescending of them ...
It isn't just younger people who get this unasked and unwelcome "help". We are 62 and 64, and we have been camping for 40 years. My husband grew up on a farm, and he has been towing trailers since he was 14. We have had trailers for more than 30 years. We pull up to a campground and we're backing in. We normally use small radios to communicate, but the radios weren't working so DH stopped a minute. Over ran this guy we had never seen waving and trying to direct Kevin into the site. Gee guy, get away! We didn't ask for your help, and we are perfectly capable of handling this as soon as we get on the same radio channel. We told him we could manage, and he got all huffy. He was a pain the entire time we were there.

That being said, I have occasionally seen a new owner (identified by dealer tags on the trailer and standing by the dump valve, staring at it) and asked if they had any questions. Some would then ask for help (which we would give) while others said "Nope, I've got this," in which case I smile and say "Great."

Old Racer said:
Oldgator, you will understand this. We camped in Louisiana next to some LSU folks, friendly, cooking some good Cajun food, and all the LSU Shirts, etc. you can imagine. One little 5 year old daughter adopted me as a grandfather, sang and danced for me. A little sprinkle came up, we opened out Gator umbrella, they came, took their child, never looked our way or spoke to us again!

Really, folks, it's only a game! ? Really!!!!!!!

Could'a been worse. You might have raised a 'Bama umbrella.
I hear that SEC folks take that stuff real serious.

LarsMac said:
Could'a been worse. You might have raised a 'Bama umbrella.
I hear that SEC folks take that stuff real serious.

Not bad since "bama" is also an SEC team, what may set off alarms is any team from the ACC, "noles" "Canes"

This is why my wife and I were determined to get the smallest trailer we could find.  So we could still go in the private unserviced tenting sites.  We couldn't imagine staying in the large RV sites with absolutely no privacy.  Just RV - Picnic Table - RV - Table - RV and so on... We're not anti-social but I'll admit that we don't get along with everyone, and we're not the type to be fake-friendly to someone we don't like.  So the small sites are perfect.  Just a wave or nod to the neighbour if you happen to see them between the trees.  No awkward conversations, just camp and enjoy.  We don't camp to be social, we camp for the peace and quiet, which is also why we go places that have no cell reception.

But that's just us lol

OP, you said that the person was 5-10 feet away from your unit.  If it was 10 feet the person might be on his site not yours.  Also, at 10 feet, he might be looking for something else.  More than once with different units, we have had a neighbor looking at our unit.  Either my DW or I have gone out, and learned that the person was looking at our unit because they like it and have questions about our unit.  Just a thought.

Bill N said:

Bill

Thanks for the unneeded advice.  ;)

I should clarify that there are 10x as many really cool "old dudes" at the campgrounds as there are nosy, know-it-alls. When most of the campers are retired folk, it's just bound to be old dudes who are the culprits. No offense meant to all old dudes.  I like you all and I hope to be one of you relatively soon.  :)

Funny, I was just going to ask about old dudettes to see if I qualify.

Had a guy (would that be old dude or just old geezer??) ask my why I was filling with water since I was leaving.  Asked me how big my tank was, and I did the math for him of the weight of a gallon of water.  Was on my way to GNR so explained I needed to arrive with a full water tank.  He was pleasantly chatty and then understood why I was taking on ballast.

We lived in Japan for several years and camped in a tent. Many times we were the only Americans in the CG. One time we had rented a tent at the AF base and I was having a hard time getting it set up. A really nice Japanese fellow came over and without any introduction (he didn't speak English and I didn't speak Japanese) he started helping me get the tent up. He had beer and I had beer. The more we drank and worked at the tent the more we understood each other. We got the tent up and had a great weekend with our new friend. Another time we pulled in the CG, got set up,and started to get our dinner ready. Again, we were the only Americans in the park. Some folks came over and in broken English invited us to join them. Practically the entire CG had gathered in the common area and brought their food and drink to share. We sat for hours eating, drinking and just having a great time.

So, to each his own as to whether or not you socialize in the CG. I refuse to be a pest (my wife would argue that point) but I also refuse to be a recluse while camping.

vito55 said:
Oh, and having a dog with you certainly encourages neighbors to come by and comment.

Just keep in mind that not all of us feel that way. While the vast majority of folks are courteous with their dogs, some figure "everyone loves dogs" and let them wander all over the place on a 20' leash. Don't get me wrong, I'll pet a friendly dog if we're talking with the owners but I won't go out of my way to get all mushy about your mutt.

Back
Top Bottom