Campground between Las Vegas and Yosemite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi again.

So, am looking at driving from Las Vegas to Tonopah NV on Hwy 95.  Overnight at Ramada Inn in RV park. Then via Hwy 6 to Benton.  To head onto Mono Lake and Yosemite area would like to go on Hwy 120. Would this be OK in August in 30ft RV? Your comments would be most appreciated.

Also would be interested in alternatives to Ramada Inn RV Park

Highway 120 is Tioga Pass. While weather-wise it should be ok in August, it is a very steep climb up from Lee Vining with dropoffs...views are incredible though.

Wendy,

Am interested in I 120 east of Lee Vining i.e. between Benton and just south of Lee Vining where it joins 395.  Do you know that section of road?

I've been on that section of road a few times but I'm more familiar with the road that runs from US95 about halfway between Beatty and Tonapah to Big Pine. We used to drive that road all the time from Death Valley to Bishop (closest "read" town). It wasn't a bad road, bit of a climb to Westgard Pass (9%) but I don't remember it being terrible. We did it in a 35-foot 5th wheel once but usually did it in a VW vanagon. The world's oldest living things, Bristlecone Pines, are just off the road near the pass. This site has a good writeup on the route although I don't remember the road as having "lots of curves and tight angles." We have friends who used to live and work in Death Valley but had a house at Mono Lake and they usually took that route into Big Pine.

As an aside, whilst traveling along US-95, you'll see several brothels. They sell some pretty cool t-shirts.

Wendy,

I think you mean the road from Ralston to Big Pine.  First the NV266 then CA168.  Not sure I like the look of that route with a one lane section! According to Mapquest the total mileage and time is virtually identical as going via 6 from Tonopah to Benton and then 120 onto Lee Vining.  Does anyone else know this stretch of 120?

Not sure that I'll be wanting to call in at the brothels with my kids!

Also,  how realistic do people think the driving times are on Mapquest in a 30ft motorhome?

That's the road. Last time I drove it was 10 years ago but Mike and I don't remember any one-lane stretch on that highway and we drove it at least once a month for four years. I called a friend who also worked in Death Valley for 4 years and he doesn't remember any one-lane section either. But if the mileage is the same, you could just as easily take the northern route and skip Westgard Pass. Of course, Westgard would be good practice before you tackle Tioga.

As for Mapquest, I don't use it much....seems it's always given me wrong directions.

Tonopah Station (the Ramada) used to be the only one. It's kind of handy, next to the grocery store.

Looks like there's another one, Twister-Inn RV Park, on the east side of town.

There is a BLM campground at Walker Lake, a short distance north of Tonopah.  There are no hookups available, but the view of Walker Lake and the mountain behind are very nice if you don't mind boondocking.  We've always stayed in an upper site, but with a smaller rig you might like to go down the hill closer to the water. 

One of our former forumites, Joe Frost, once said of the trip through Tonopah to Reno, "It makes west Texas look like a metropolis!"  (Meaning it's pretty barren with long stretches between facilities.)  The weather may be quite warm in the summer time.  Beware of cross winds various places along that highway.

Margi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Praise Bus
Back
Top Bottom