Campground Costs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigJohn

DW and I spend 6-7 mo in our RV per yr over 3-4 trips. To hold down costs we attempt to stay in one spot a week or more  and do day trips.  Several yrs back we quite staying at a national chain. A couple yrs ago we quite staying in CG highly rated by Woodalls and others. By looking around we have found some very nice parks charging a reasonable fee. If on our path we stay at State parks or COE CGs, however DW likes FHU so she can wash clothes and indulge in a long showers. This thread is nothing against the CGs but the price and service has become disconnected.

Like everything else in life.  It is a cost of doing business.  Even once reasonable state parks are becoming out of range for a lot of folks.  Just to compare look at your cost of health care

We have a great time staying at Elks Lodge RV parks. I've only been a member for 18 years or so, but many of our travel days are spent at lodges for $15 - $25 per night. Some have full hook-ups, some have just a spot to park. Depending on your needs that night it may be just what you need. Fraternal Order of Eagles also have some RV parks as do some of the other fraternal organizations like Moose, etc.

If you're a charitable type person who can spend a little money helping others, joining one of these groups with a side benefit of the RV parks is a good thing. In my opinion, my charity money goes in a more direct manner to helping people and avoids some of the high overhead that organizations like the Red Cross, American Cancer, etc tend to have. I like to help people who need some assistance, not spend money to give a CEO a million dollar salary.

Ken

BigJohn said:
If on our path we stay at State parks or COE CGs, however DW likes FHU so she can wash clothes and indulge in a long showers.

What is COE and FHU. I wish people would just spell out the word they want to get across to us "not so smart" people.

Ive come to the conclusion that you can spend as much as you want or as little as you want and get some good camping. Between overnight parking at walmart, boondocking on BLM land (or COE) and full hook up spots in resorts with golf courses and swimming pools, there is a really wide range. 

I expect to do a some of both boondocking and full hook up camping, depending on where we are.  We have the advantage of DH being a disabled American vet, so we can get discounted camping in a lot of places for at least short times. We also plan on taking advantage of passportamerica or something similar to help with cutting the costs also. The fullhookup sites will be good every so often for doing laundry in the RV (thats on my list of have to haves) rather than taking things to the laundromat.

Caryl

Like anything else in life you get what you pay for. I'd rather pay a few extra dollars to stay at a decent KOA or a similar RV park than to save a few bucks and put up with undesirables and their noisy animals and  kids.

thomasamski said:
Like anything else in life you get what you pay for. I'd rather pay a few extra dollars to stay at a decent KOA or a similar RV park than to save a few bucks and put up with undesirables and their noisy animals and  kids.

I agree. While traveling between destinations, we tend to stay at KOAs or similar. I hate pulling into a park and not feeling safe. Just my 2 cents.

I think the point was that there are still some nice parks available at more reasonable prices, so you don't necessarily have to give up a good experience to save money.  County, state & federal parks are one source, especially if you qualify for disabled or senior pricing, but there are mom & pop parks and "places less traveled" as well. We find as much as $10/night difference in parks that are relatively near each other with similar facilities. It just takes some looking around, or driving a few miles off the beaten path. Many of these parks use Passport America discounts to attract business.

That said, the price of a FHU site has shot up tremendously in the past few years, to the point where a motel room is price competitive. Some of it is the demand for amenities - sewer, high-amp power, wifi, cable tv, pool, etc.) and some of it is the increased cost of doing business these days.  Liability insurance, credit card processing, health regulation & inspections, ADA requirements, etc. All these things have value, but the aggregate cost is beginning to push campsites out of reach for many.

Rene T said:
What is COE and FHU. I wish people would just spell out the word they want to get across to us "not so smart" people.
All you have to do is type COE into the address bar of your browser and it will answer your question.

I don't know what browser you're using, Tom, but doing as you suggest in Firefox finds numerous possibilities for the COE abbreviation, including use as a last name. and Corps of Engineers isn't even the first (or even the second) referenced. Here's one line from the search (without even clicking) that shows several:

Acronym, Definition. COE, Corps Of Engineers (US Army). COE, Center Of Excellence. COE, Church of England. COE, Common Operating Environment.

And it's the first one I saw (not first in the list) that shows the Corps first. And here's another (again, without clicking):

90+ items - What does COE stand for? Definition of COE. The World's most ...

So it can be rather confusing done that way. But the glossary link above can provide a definition.

I realize the CG's costs are going up. But I find there is a disconnect between the price and value of the service. Why should I pay $40-50 a night for a site when by looking around a decent site can be found for less? Obviously we avoid the trashy parks with kids and pets roaming around. But frankly we have stayed in some expensive parks that are dumps and unpleasant. Just saying spending a little time looking around a nice site can be found for a reasonable fee.

Rene T said:
I am in the same boat.  One reason I don't Text Message much  :eek:

It wouldn't be as much fun without all of the acronyms and abbreviations.

BigJohn said:
I realize the Cog's costs are going up. But I find there is a disconnect between the price and value of the service. Why should I pay $40-50 a night for a site when by looking around a decent site can be found for less? Obviously we avoid the trashy parks with kids and pets roaming around. But frankly we have stayed in some expensive parks that are dumps and unpleasant. Just saying spending a little time looking around a nice site can be found for a reasonable fee.
I fully agree.  I have noticed even KOAs that are not close to a big attraction can be very over priced for what you get.  For that reason I shy away from them.  In fact, the only time I do stay at one is when it is the CG selected by our RV club to spend the weekend. 
Just a few weeks ago I paid $14/night at a State park (Fenton Lake NM) for electric and water.  Great little park.  The only down side is there is no dump station within 40 miles of the park and now showers.  We can go about 6 days if we conserve water use and sewer use.  It has FW at the site but the holding tanks will only hold so much.  This is the same price at all the NM State parks.  Most due have dump stations and showers. 

BigJohn said:
...however DW likes FHU so she can wash clothes and indulge in a long showers.

This narrows your list considerably.  At some point, DW needs to weigh the cost benefit of the long shower. 

As to the disconnect, I haven't noticed.  Personally I don't like KOA's.  I find them over priced and the ones I've driven through have a high percentage of RVing families.  Families have children.  Children are noisy.  If I want that, I go visit my grand children.  :)   

$20.00 ,full hook up, Real clean, Neosho , Missouri .  Stage Stop Campground, Quite except ,for a few cattle and something (not dogs) howling in the distance. A lot better than the KOA at $40.00 with  Train track and Interstate traffic all night.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boklm
Back
Top Bottom