Campground Costs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[quote author=Rene T]Maybe Tom can add these two to the forum acronym list.  COE and FHU[/quote]

It's done. See here.

thomasamski said:
Like anything else in life you get what you pay for. I'd rather pay a few extra dollars to stay at a decent KOA or a similar RV park than to save a few bucks and put up with undesirables and their noisy animals and  kids.

Stayed at two KOAs this summer and both had noisy animals and kids and much inflated prices along with locations practically on top of busy and noisy interstate highways.  To me $47 for this privilege is more than a "few extra dollars" over $30.  Best places were state parks, some with full hookups and most with only water and electric but all had dump stations.  Down side were that many required advance reservations during peak summer months.

Not a big fan of KOA's, but we stayed in at least three KOA's over the summer and never paid more than $39 a night. Stayed in Fort Collins KOA for almost a month. Will stay there again. The two others were off the highway and no worse than any other CG off the highway and better than some. We try not to stay at highway CGs for any extended period of time for obvious reasons.

Well to stick my oar in.

COE is great, $10 with old farts card.  Water & electric, no sewer.

City and country parks are sometimes inexpensive gems.

Passport America.

Military FamCamps for retirees.

I averaged $25/night on my Popup trip to Oregon.  I wasn't interested in sewer, but I learned quickly that a nice bathhouse was important and I wanted wifi.

Joel

I avoid KOA's with a vengeance - had a bad expensive miserable experience in one once and swore to never grace another KOA with my presence...

Just joined Passport America this morning and more than saved the cost of joining in my 5 night stay I am currently on - will try others now in my travels....$23.00 rate went to $12.00 a night - $60.00 for 5 nights vs $115.00 - so $60 plus $44.00 for membership = $104.!! Happy, Happy, Happy....

I tend to prefer the smaller privately owned non-chin campgrounds and usually get a pretty good deal...my target is under $30.00 per night, and sometimes stay a week or more to make that happen.

Good Luck.

Jim

Include me in the crowd that rarely uses a KOA - they are nearly always expensive for what you actually get. They pay KOA corporate a very hefty commission on every site rental, and that basically adds to whatever the local per night costs may be. And we aren't interested in the "family oriented" facilities anyway.  There are a few, though, that we patronize when in the area.

Tom said:
It's done. See here.
There are quite a few that could be added. Like BLM, NPS, USFS. And, my favorite is RON for Remain Over Night since I usually can never spell overnighter correctly.

joelmyer said:
.... $10 with old farts card. 

I resemble that, but I prefer the more politically correct term Old Geezer. ;)

[quote author=Flyboy]There are quite a few that could be added. Like BLM, NPS, USFS. And, my favorite is RON for Remain Over Night...[/quote]

The list of acronyms in our forum library was not intended to be for "RV-related terms"; It came from the days of old. RV-related terms belong in our Glossary of RV Terms (link in the menu above). I have other changes I need to make to that file; One for a rainy day.

Tom,
HELP!!  I couldn't find it in the Glossary. There was no RV Terms that I could find. I know I'm doing something wrong.

Rene, the whole glossary is RV related terms.

Tom, I've come across several posts you made where you linked a file you called Acronyms.  When I click on that link in a 2007 post, I get a blank screen.  Is the link broke or has the file been discarded?  For many newer RVers, and I include myself in the category, the acronyms can be a bit challenging.  The Glossary is fine for what it is, but if you search the page for FHU, you don't get Full Hookup.  In fact, you don't get anything.  The only way you get there is if you know what FHU means. 

Didn't mean to post my previous message.  I found the Acronym file.  Can't get there unless you go to the library and use that search box.   

Let's just do away with using acronyms or if you do, get in the habit of breaking down the acronym within parentheses. That would make it so much easier for everyone especially the newbies. I've been on this forum for a 3 1/2  years and every day I see acronyms which I'm not familiar with. Sometimes, I think people just make them up as they go.  :-[

Please post the link to the 2007 message containing the 'broken' link and I'll fix it. When I made the last upgrade to the software that runs our library, it broke all the library-related links in prior forum messages (many hundreds). I found and fixed almost all of them, but I obviously missed a few.

The 'normal' way you'd find this or any other library file would be to use the Search feature in the Library (not the Search button above). When we post a link, as Ned just did, it's just a convenience, but it becomes one more link I might miss and fail to update in future.

[quote author=Rene T]... I couldn't find it in the Glossary. There was no RV Terms that I could find.[/quote]

Click the Glossary button in the menu above, and the RV-related terms are listed alphabetically. For convenience, you could click the subgroups A-C, D-F .... V-X at the top of the list to see a drop-down menu of terms within that alphabetical range. As Ned said, they're all RV-related terms. There are even alternate terms for other countries, specifically the UK.

For convenience, each term is followed by a link to Return to top of page.

Back
Top Bottom