Campgrounds in Wyoming near Yellowstone NP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

librarylady

Our trip has been planned for months and we have reservations in West Yellowstone, Montana for our Yellowstone NP visit.  We're banking/hoping that the park will open before we plan to arrive in late June.  My concern right now is that Montana requires that visitors from out of state quarantine for 14 days which doesn't fit in with the rest of our vacation.  Aside from the NP itself, does anyone know of campgrounds in Wyoming that are closer than ones in Jackson and Cody?

West of West Yellowstone on Hwy 20 are two KOAs, Mountainside (7 miles) and West Gate (6 miles).

North on Hwy 191 is Bakers Hole Campground and Hebgen Basin Campground. Both about 3 miles.

Never stayed in any of these because we had friends that lived in the area and "camped" in their yard.

South of Yellowstone there is nothing much north of Jackson as you have a common entrance gate for Grand Tetons NP and Yellowstone NP.  Though there are some options on Hwy 26 which may be slightly closer to Yellowstone than Jackson is, such as this one https://yellowstonerv.com/  which is probably the closest commercial campground to Yellowstone from the south, though you are looking at a significant drive as you must pass through a large part of Grand Tetons NP to get to Yellowstone.

p.s. when we were there 3 years ago we stayed at the Longhorn RV ranch in Dubouis, very nice campground, though the staff seemed a bit off putting, before going on to Yellowstone where we stayed in the park in 3 campgrounds.

There are also a couple of campgrounds at Grand Tetons, that are a bit closer to the southside, most notably Gros Ventre and Colter Bay, note there is Colter Bay RV park which accepts reservations, and Colter Bay campground which I think is dry camping which does not. (I think I have that right)

librarylady said:
Our trip has been planned for months and we have reservations in West Yellowstone, Montana for our Yellowstone NP visit.  We're banking/hoping that the park will open before we plan to arrive in late June.  My concern right now is that Montana requires that visitors from out of state quarantine for 14 days which doesn't fit in with the rest of our vacation.  Aside from the NP itself, does anyone know of campgrounds in Wyoming that are closer than ones in Jackson and Cody?

As of now Wyoming is asking anyone, including residents, to self quarantine for 14 days upon entering the state.  But nobody?s tracking license plates.  Lots of out of state RV?s on I-80 through my little town.

So, enjoy your vacation, social distance, wear a mask when shopping.  Hopefully the National Park will be open.

The RV parks we?ve visited recently have been great.  Common areas closed, but open for business.

There are FS campgrounds just outside of Cooke City that almost always have open sites. No services. Either way I can?t imagine you will be arrested if you are visiting the park. As someone else said, practice social distancing (though how the NPS will manage that in the zoo that is a Yellowstone in the summer I have no idea!) and wear a mask.

Flagg Ranch is in WY, just outside the South Gate. 
In Idaho there are a few CG's in Island Park.  Rt 20N.

PancakeBill said:
Flagg Ranch is in WY, just outside the South Gate. 
In Idaho there are a few CG's in Island Park.  Rt 20N.

Last year we stayed at Jared's Wild Rose Resort in Idaho, about 20 minutes from the western gate to Yellowstone.  Avoid this place at all costs!  Not lanscaped, that includes mowing, our "pull through" site had a tree sitting in the middle of one end of the site, so it was a pull in site.  Also, we were literally four feet from the rig next site over, I measured.  Once again, stay away!

I recently, 4/13-4/17, drove from Seattle to Indy. Saw all the self quarantine requirements for every state, but can tell you that it is truly SELF quarantine. No one is going to stop you, or hassle you. If the NP is open, you can bet the states around it will be also. BTW, I just finished 15 days of self quarantine when I returned home. My wife is a RN and she wouldn't let me get away with anything less.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!  We've been very careful here at home - limiting trips to the grocery store, etc. -  and will continue to do the same on the road.  As the mother-in-law of a police officer, I feel very confident that law enforcement just about everywhere has better things to do than to check on every person who enters the state!

Live in Montana... and yes you are still asked if you enter state, that you self quarantine. The covid cases are very low, zero in our county, so yes, a concern with tourists coming. Thinking that when park opens, Mt will not still be in a self quarantine,  as they know, it won't happen.

Close to park towns are basically West Yellowstone area. Cody 50 miles away, Gariner is OK, but still like 15 miles from Mammoth.... cooke city campgrounds did not open till July last year, snow and budget.

It will be interesting year in Yellowstone this year...

Have fun...

According to today?s local fish wrap Teton County officials are working with state officials and the federales to get Teton and Yellowstone open by Memorial Day, perhaps by May 15th.

Update... PART of Yellowstone opens May 18th, ONLY wyoming entrances, east and south... All Montana entrances are stillclosed, and looking like won't open till June 1st... such a mess, with only one major park road open... north section of park is still closed...

Montana governor just announced no 14 day quarantine after June 1st... guessing park entrances will all be open that day too...

Back
Top Bottom