Camping at Walmart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We often forget to lock the doors. Even though I am retired military and was required to qualify yearly with am M16 (shot expert for 24 years) I am anti gun. But if it makes you feel better then by all means, arm up.
I used to forget to lock the doors on the RV. Our S&B was out in the country and we often left for long weekends or vacations without locking the house.
Then, on the occasion of having our toad stolen from a campground, my wife said she heard someone try the door of the RV (which fortunately was locked that time) in the middle of the night. You can bet that I lock that door every night now.

I used to forget to lock the doors on the RV. Our S&B was out in the country and we often left for long weekends or vacations without locking the house.
Then, on the occasion of having our toad stolen from a campground, my wife said she heard someone try the door of the RV (which fortunately was locked that time) in the middle of the night. You can bet that I lock that door every night now.
Some people are convinced they will never be the victim of evil so they don't have to take steps to protect themselves or their families. Some also think that police will be there in time to protect them. I support the police but realize they can't be everywhere at all times.

My first duty station was Barksdale AFB in Bossier City, LA. We lived in a little one bedroom apartment. One night we went to bed and as soon as I got in bed I heard the front door open. I could see the door from the bed. This guy, he was about 6’5”, just walked in. I got out of bed, grabbed him by the shoulders, turned him around and ushered him out. He was drunk and got confused as to which apartment the party was in.
Fast forward to Las Vegas. We were stationed at Nellis AFB. In three years we lived in four different houses. Robbed at each one. Even when we moved on base.
Never was robbed in the RV’s. We fulltimed for 5 years. Never had a problem. Still forget to lock the doors. Just don’t worry about it much.

Some people are convinced they will never be the victim of evil so they don't have to take steps to protect themselves or their families. Some also think that police will be there in time to protect them. I support the police but realize they can't be everywhere at all times.
You might be right. We just don’t worry about it. If I would have shot and killed the guy in my previous post I’m sure it would have ruled justified. It was Louisiana in 1975. He would be dead for being drunk and lost and I would have to live with killing him the rest of my life. But like I said before, you think you need to be armed, have at it.

During the interaction with the cops the next morning, a sheriff's deputy said, "too bad you didn't have a gun." Told him, "No, too bad the dog didn't wake me up."
Later on, after they were caught, we found that the people who had stolen the Jeep were wanted for murder in Ohio (jeep was stolen in MS). I was very glad at that point that the dog didn't wake me, as I figure that someone who has already killed somebody would probably be quicker on the trigger than I would have been. I still lock the door every night, even though my wife isn't here to insist anymore.

You might be right. We just don’t worry about it. If I would have shot and killed the guy in my previous post I’m sure it would have ruled justified. It was Louisiana in 1975. He would be dead for being drunk and lost and I would have to live with killing him the rest of my life. But like I said before, you think you need to be armed, have at it.
You were fortunate. It could have just as well been some crazy person with a gun and you would not here to post your comments.

Who “camps” at a Walmart? It an overnight stop at best if local ordinances allow. Don’t even try it in the Orlando area. As far as shooting people goes… good luck. May not get arrested but the lawsuit down the road will probably put you in the poorhouse for life. Criminals have more rights than you do these days.

Who “camps” at a Walmart? It an overnight stop at best if local ordinances allow. Don’t even try it in the Orlando area. As far as shooting people goes… good luck. May not get arrested but the lawsuit down the road will probably put you in the poorhouse for life. Criminals have more rights than you do these days.
Some places they do but in your home not so much. What do you propose for an alternative? Is it to be a victim?

I was employed as a civilian with the US government. One of my assignments was Whiteman AFB, MO. We had ”friends” that lived out in the boonies on a bit of acreage. There was a right of way through their property for another house behind them. The “friend” of ours was obsessed with the guy using the right of way. He had a locked gate but the authorities said he had to give the guy a key. So what he did was smear dog feces all over the lock. He harassed this guy almost every day. Well, one did Jay, our “friend”, met the guy at the gate (Jay always carried a pistol) and ended up shooting and killing the guy. The other guy was not armed. There was video but you couldn’t see what happened, you only hear. Anyway, it went to trial. Jay and his wife lost their house and property (attorney fees) and he lost his job at one of the local schools. Luckily for him he was retired AF so he did have some income. So yeah. He had been itching to get rid of the guy and he did and he was found not guilTy. But it cost him a bunch.

I was employed as a civilian with the US government. One of my assignments was Whiteman AFB, MO. We had ”friends” that lived out in the boonies on a bit of acreage. There was a right of way through their property for another house behind them. The “friend” of ours was obsessed with the guy using the right of way. He had a locked gate but the authorities said he had to give the guy a key. So what he did was smear dog feces all over the lock. He harassed this guy almost every day. Well, one did Jay, our “friend”, met the guy at the gate (Jay always carried a pistol) and ended up shooting and killing the guy. The other guy was not armed. There was video but you couldn’t see what happened, you only hear. Anyway, it went to trial. Jay and his wife lost their house and property (attorney fees) and he lost his job at one of the local schools. Luckily for him he was retired AF so he did have some income. So yeah. He had been itching to get rid of the guy and he did and he was found not guilTy. But it cost him a bunch.
So everyone who carries a firearm is looking for an excuse to kill people? Got it.

I am also not sure what this story has to do with protecting your home whether it is permanent or mobile.

I would assume we are getting very, very close to the ban on discussing guns here. The subject always gets heated, and no one is going to change anyone else’s mind. I have never figured out why people need to challenge the way others live. It doesn’t affect you, so ignore it.

I would say your friend served everything he got. It sounds like the neighbor only wanted to use the right of way that was legal. All your friend had to do was work with the guy. He was totally wrong locking the gate and the local authorities told him that. Then putting feces in the lock, come on. That’s being just childish and stupid.

Last edited:
I would say your friend served everything he got. It sounds like the neighbor only wanted to use the right of way that was legal. All your friend had to do was work with the guy. He was totally wrong locking the gate and the local authorities told him that. Then putting feces in the lock, come on. That’s being just childress and stupid.
I agree with you completely. My guess is he knew about the ROW before he bought the property and should have not made the purchase if he did not like that idea.

So everyone who carries a firearm is looking for an excuse to kill people? Got it.

I am also not sure what this story has to do with protecting your home whether it is permanent or mobile.
I was replying to this:
May not get arrested but the lawsuit down the road will probably put you in the poorhouse for life.

I would say your friend served everything he got. It sounds like the neighbor only wanted to use the right of way that was legal. All your friend had to do was work with the guy. He was totally wrong locking the gate and the local authorities told him that. Then putting feces in the lock, come on. That’s being just childish and stupid.
I put “friend” in parentheses to indicate he wasn’t really a friend.

I have only ever stayed at walmart, why? Because I dont have a clue how an RV works, and have only had it for 6 weeks or so, how to plug it in, how to dump anything - BUT I am learning, going to a camp ground is on my agenda as is, frying an egg on the propane stove AND flushing the toilet and emptying the tanks. I did learn I needed a connector to plug my 1997 LTVWB into my house, bought that, and hired someone to get rid of the pink stuff, which apparently is antifreeze - had to wait to get a helper all the companies only served those who bought their rig from them OR were long term customers oh I did stay overnight in my sons driveway, but I didnt want to plug anything in to his house unless I ruin his wiring, come to find out I couldn t have anyway because my van was 30 amp and without connector plugging in not possible - learning!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom