Camping World CEO tells CNBC Trump supporters should not shop at his businesses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SeilerBird said:
Oh good, we have transitioned from politics to guns. We need someone to bring up god for the hat trick.
Isn't the word 'god' supposed to be capitalized ?    now the Grammar police are coming... :)

Oldgator73 said:
I cannot say if the post was political or not. I don't know Sarge's political leanings and to my knowledge he did not divulge them. As to a business publicly announcing their political beliefs, I feel it is not good business sense. Having said that, I am glad some businesses do so. It gives me a window into what is in their heart. There are some restaurants, businesses and products that I used to enjoy but no longer eat, patronize or buy because of their public political stance. As for Camping World, I cannot remember ever being in one. I have not heard good things about CW on this forum so I doubt I will shop there.

To clarify a bit as to what I said above; the CW CEO said if you support Neo Nazis, the KKK or White Supremacy you are not welcome in his establishments. Of course you would have to outwardly display your support of these groups for anyone to know you did. I don't see this as a political statement. I see it as a moral statement. I agree with him. I rescind my earlier statement about not shopping at CW. I might find one in the near future and buy a little something.

TonyDtorch said:
Isn't the word 'god' supposed to be capitalized ?    now the Grammar police are coming... :)

Not the word god. But the name God, yes.

I don't spend money at businesses that hire "Undocumented Immigrants"..

I'm a big believer in voting with my wallet.

TonyDtorch said:
I don't spend money at businesses that hire "Undocumented Immigrants"..

It's just my own little way of a political business boycott.
Well then you must not eat any vegetables or fruits unless you grow them yourself.

SeilerBird said:
Well then you must not eat any vegetables or fruits unless you grow them yourself.

Yep...I remember not buying any grapes back in the 60's

and I had plenty of tax free money... I was making a good living as an "Undocumented Pharmacist"...... ;D

Bill N said:
Most of my life I was not much on politics.  I could not remember what the left and the right stood for nor did I care.  I was in the military and politicking in the service is verboten.  You can vote but that's about it.  As for the Hollywood folks, I now find that it is difficult for me to watch the movies of some of the more obnoxious political actors.  One particular favorite really disappointed me with some of his political rants. I had watched one of his movies several times but I just stopped it during the last viewing because all I could think of was his politics.  I am really disheartened to see this country evolving into something that I never envisioned and it has taken about the last 30 years for this to happen.  Now that I am pretty late into my life I am almost happy that I will not be here to see what eventually happens to our great country.  I guess some call it progress but I call it slow destruction.  JMHO and I hope this thread is NOT shut down as long as political rants are not posted.  It is good to get a feeling for the thoughts of others with whom you share a common pursuit.

This pretty much sums it up for me as well, except I was never in the military.

I agree. As long as the post revolve around RV related opinions, and how they effect us in the RV community, it will not be shut down. Most of us don't care about what the political leaning are.  If it effects me as an RV'er, then I care.  This is about informing the community about things that concern them and their day to day living requirements.

Oh good, we have transitioned from politics to guns. We need someone to bring up god for the hat trick.

If someone starts talking about their invisible friend.........that would be a negative hat trick :p :p

I totally get your point, Marty.  As a business owner myself, I have clients all over the political spectrum, but I keep my political views to myself so as to not alienate any clients.  This is just smart business sense.  I really don't get it at all.

Steve

I agree Steve, I was in that position once as well. I was once in the construction industry, concrete contractor.  I never cared  one bit about a customers personal politics. I provided a service, they needed the results. I didn't have to like everyone I worked for, that wasn't an requirement.  I did a good job, they paid a fair price. I always believed that commerce worked that way.

SargeW said:
I agree Steve, I was in that position once as well. I was once in the construction industry, concrete contractor.  I never cared  one bit about a customers personal politics. I provided a service, they needed the results. I didn't have to like everyone I worked for, that wasn't an requirement.  I did a good job, they paid a fair price. I always believed that commerce worked that way.

If was as simple as politics I would agree with you. But when it goes beyond politics into out and out hate, Neo Nazis, KKK, White Supremacy and any other hate groups, I would have to decline to do business with them. I have to look my family in the eye everyday.

Just because he's a CEO doesn't mean he's the brightest person there or even a good business person.  I've been hearing a lot of dumb comments recently from CEOs who should know better than to put personal opinions above their company and its shareholders.

ArdraF

Thoughts on the original post...

1) I agree with Sarge that doing this is a very poor business decision. However,

2) Regardless of how many people voted for Trump in the election, his approval rating has consistently dropped to the low 30's since the election and this is something that Lemonis may be taking into consideration. He may figure he's not going to alienate half of the population, but instead, only 30-35%, and

3) He recently stated, and it was covered by this forum, on a cable news network that he doesn't consider himself an RV salesman or even the owner of retail store operations. Instead, he considers himself to be an insurance salesman, wanting to gain the majority of his income from insurance sales through Good Sam. So if he alienates CW shoppers, he probably doesn't care.

But it's still a bad business move to alienate any number of customers regardless of your political opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom