Can my 1/2 ton tow a small 5th wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is the high country model which is built quite a bit heavier duty the sticker in the door says combined weight should not exceed 1491#
My web source for GM online ordering guide shows server issues so I can't look at GM trucks RAWR specs for a 7200 GVWR 1500 hd truck.

There is a max tow package with a higher RAWR package for carrying more pin/GN hitch loads. If I can find it I'll post it for you.

Any how your 1500 can tow a 5th wheel trailer. It all depend on the trailers loaded gross weight and the trailers fully loaded pin weight doesn't exceed the trucks RAWR as it carrying all the pin weight.

Check out this website for smaller 5th wheel trailers for any size 1/2 ton truck. http://www.allencampermfg.com/5th-Wheel-Floor-Plans.html

All these # are confusing. My gross vehicle weight cap is 7000 lbs, my Gross Combined Wt Rating
15000 lbs The fifth wheel hich max weight is 9700 the max trailering weight is 9700. I did find a 5th wheel they say weighs 2000 lbs. guess I still need to find out the toung weight

grashley said:
Steve, the official GMC web site says a 2016 GMC 2500 6.0L gas 4x4 CC RB has a payload of 3152#.  The SAME web site shows a curb weight of 6525# and a GVWR of 9500#.  That is a difference of only 2975#.  They also claim 14,000# 5er capacity.  If you figure a 20% pin wt of 2,800# + 200# hitch + 300# for 2 passengers, you have 3,300# carried by the truck.  That clearly exceeds printed limits on their web site.  I guess you pull it without a hitch and have a naked jockey driving (save weight of their clothes).
Similar results for the diesel and the 3500 models.  Same is true for Ford.

http://www.gmc.com/2015-sierra-2500hd-pickup-truck/features-specs/options.html

I realize that different 5er's have different pin wt %.  For ALL 5er's on the Keystone web site, the Cougar Xlite, as a model had the LOWEST average pin weight of 17.4%, varying from 15.6% to 18.6%  One Springdale model had a pin wt of only 14.5%.  These are DRY pin weights.  Almost anything in the 5er will increase pin weight, and most will increase % of weight on the pin.
Average pin weight for the entire Keystone line, excluding Toy Haulers was 19.7%.  TH averaged 22.6% pin wt.

Manufacturers use 15% pin weight in their calculations, but the current Keystone line lists only 1 5er with a dry pin weight of 15.0% or less.  Out of 148 models, only 7 have a pin weight less than 17.0%  THEIR 15% ASSUMPTION IS NOT REALISTIC.

Just because the manufacturer makes a claim does NOT mean it can be done in real life.
IT DOESNT MATTER!!!  IF ITS STATED AS FACT- "THEN A RESONABLE PERSON WHO USES THAT INFORMATION AS TRUE IS NOT IN THE WRONG" - THE MANAFACTURER IS LIABLE. TRY READING A LITTLE LAW AND LESS PREACHING

and even so the OP asked "Can my 1/2 ton tow a small 5th wheel " stick to the OP question not some random stuff you found or your opinion i am stating fact and the answer is YES YES YES all day long "your 1/2ton can tow a SMALL 5th wheel". if not all these 1/2 ton manufactures and RV manufactures would be in court all day every day . Just saying!!! - it is not my opinion

The manufacturer's brochure figures are maximums (i.e. "up to" numbers) and individual vehicles can and will vary. Installed options, driver & passenger weights, etc. all have an effect. No need to get twisted up in the legalities - the car companies have lots of lawyers to worry about that. You can bet they have their legal butt well-covered with caveats anyway.

Take the GCWR and GVWR as gospel; everything else is derived from those or dependent on actual loading. 

lol years ago (late 60s early 70s ) we had a Mustateer 19 ft or so trailer
http://media.photobucket.com/user/Barrym-h/media/PIC03368.jpg.html?filters[term]=1966%20sprite%20musketeer&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1&o=0

anyway my dad who is an engineer used to pull it with an Austin maxi
http://www.knaggen.se/images/Austin/1969-1981-austin-maxi.gif

my dad used to load the trailer and put the tow bar on the bathroom scale - by loading correctly he could put all the heavy stuff over the axle and keep the the hitch weight to under 200 lbs and not overload the rear so the tail wouldn't wag the dog so to speak. a lesson i learnt well - with my current 5er in the front of the  trailer is less than 200 lbs of gear the majority of the heavy stuff sits just behind the rear axle or over it IE (freezer etc.)thereby keeping the pin weight as low as possible (given there is a built in genny and 2 - 30lb propane tanks) - also by using air bags to keep the load level i put less weight on the rear of the truck and distribute it a little more evenly.  Today's trailers are not engineered like the ones of days gone by - careful attention is paid to weight distribution, mostly because of liability issues (everyone want to sue everyone else and take no accountability) manufacture are very very aware of this so they build in margins unlike a salesperson who understates everything just to get a sale.

if you are smart like your dad was,  then you can safely tow almost anything with any vehicle.

I'll bet he also took weather, and terrain into his speed calculations instead of the posted limit.

now days....in our litigious society,  people are just more concerned in finding supporting documentation so they can relieved of any accountability.

TonyDtorch said:
if you are smart like your dad was,  then you can safely tow almost anything with any vehicle. I'll bet he also took weather, and terrain into his speed.

now days....in our litigious society,  people are just more concerned in finding supporting documentation so they can relieved of any accountability.

it was funny we pulled that trailer all over europe through the swiss alps,  france,germany, austria, italy, andora, spain by the time i was 11 i had seen all of europe at least once and most countries 4-5 times  and that crazy guy did it doing 70 - 80 mph never once had a problem.

TonyDtorch said:
if you are smart like your dad was,  then you can safely tow almost anything with any vehicle.

I'll bet he also took weather, and terrain into his speed calculations instead of the posted limit.

Indeed.  We've produced a generation of people that have next to zero coping skills.

Steve,
My father was also an engineer.  How careful your father was is very smart and admirable.  Many people pulling campers today - not so much.

I do not wish to argue, but numbers do lie.  As Gary said, forget the rest of the "claims" and make sure you are within GVWR and GCVWR.  If you pull a max weight 5er, typically loaded, you will be well over these numbers.

Can it be done? Yes.  Can it be done safely ???????  The lawyers will tell you it's your fault if you are over GVWR or GCVWR.

Have you ever seen a Scamp 5th wheel? They can certainly be handled by a half-ton. There are a few o.der units with the crawl-in beds that I have seen towerd by a half-ton, but they aren't very common. As other have said, look at your weights and make a good decision.

On our trip to Alaska this year, I saw a Ford F150 in front of a Crossroads Cruiser 5th wheel at a campground just outside of Watson Lake. This is a 33' trailer with 3 slides and I was amazed that the OP was towing it with a 1/2 ton truck. The next day I went to dump my black tank and the Cruiser was in front of me. I started talking to the owner and asked him how he was able to tow a trailer that weighs about 11,000 pounds loaded with a half ton truck.
He was from Montreal so he spoke English with a French accent. A little hard to understand, but his reply was plenty of power and brakes with no sag on the rear end from the weight of the trailer. I watched him leave and the truck and trailer were level with no air bag. I know that it's a long way from Montreal to Watson Lake, Yukon.
Would I do this? Heck no, but that little crazy French Canadian did.  ???

He may have had the F150HD  3.5 Ecoboost with its 8200 GVWR and 4800 RAWR load E tires.
This truck is good for around 2300-2400 lb loads and carries tow ratings up to 11k range.

longhaul said:
He may have had the F150HD  3.5 Ecoboost with its 8200 GVWR and 4800 RAWR load E tires.
This truck is good for around 2300-2400 lb loads and carries tow ratings up to 11k range.

Yep...

But even then, he's likely on the ragged edge of the truck's limitations if not over it.  I don't want to be in front of him coming down a long steep grade if his trailer brakes go on vacation. 

Hey Stetya,
There are a lot of nice TTs out there you could pull with your half ton no problem. An equalizer hitch and you can rock.
Start at a couple of RV places and get an idea what floor plans would fit your needs.
Branch out to some Craigs list ads to see what is available privately in your area.
Use the NADA/RV (National Automobile Dealers Ass.) sight to get an idea of what a private TT should be worth in your zip area and to also get the manufactures specs on the trailer. Get the trailer model number from those #s next to the door.
Winters coming deals are plentiful.
Be careful though, with winter on the way everything should be winterized and will be difficult to see how all the accessories work (Water pump, water heater, air conditioner etc.)
But you have lots of time between now and spring to shop and have some fun doing it.

I think keep it under 4,800 lbs and it will be like it's not even back there.
JMO though.

Oak

He could have modded his suspension but he is definitely pushing the limit.  I guess he is part of the "if it can pull it, all must be ok" crowd...I guess that is the opposite of the "weight police".  In our travels this summer , we saw what appeared to be a Ford Ranger pulling a 27 ish 5th,...did not look happy but it was going down the road.

With the p/u engines getting much stronger and their weight capabilities not increasing at the same rate, we are seeing many more overloaded tvs..

And this is becoming a boon for the cops because they are stopping these rigs that just don't look right..

I do not understand the resistance to a bit too much TV..

Actually, I think I would feel more comfortable towing Maxed out on the Alaska highway due to the slow speeds involved than I would on one of our high passes here in the US where everyone driving fast with lots of high speed turns, especially down hill.  Summit Pass at 4500 ft. elevation is the highest thing there with one slow, steep grade going up the east side.  Once we left Dawson Creek, we seldom drove over 50, slowing to 20 for rough spots regularly.

That is indeed a problem....the engines are getting so powerful these days that the truck will easily move the load.  Handling it and stopping it, especially if something goes wrong....that's another story.

I have a Dodge Ram 1500 pulling a 27rks keystone xlite. Had a multiple page thread  on here last summer. I took the trailer, completely loaded with two people, two dogs, full fuel and all camping equipment to a certified scale.  I even put a weekend worth of firewood in the bed.  We were under weight in all respects. I then took the weight ticket to the dealer to see if the truck could handle the load and if it would void the warranty. The dealer said pull the trailer. I pulled it about 2500 miles this last summer and never had the slightest problem.

A caveat, I live in Iowa and it's fairly flat. The pin weight is 100 pounds from max cargo load. Again this is with truck and trailer fully loaded. I got the feeling from the dealer that the rated max is the rated max. No safety margin noted.

Also, if I was doing it over again, I would get the 2500, if for no other reason than to put this entire thing out of my head.

Jimdamedic said:
A caveat, I live in Iowa and it's fairly flat. The pin weight is 100 pounds from max cargo load. Again this is with truck and trailer fully loaded. I got the feeling from the dealer that the rated max is the rated max. No safety margin noted.

Also, if I was doing it over again, I would get the 2500, if for no other reason than to put this entire thing out of my head.

Out here in the mountain West, you might not like the performance as well.  There are a lot of half tons that can pull my trailer and stay in spec....but towing 10-12% grades at 10,000' of elevation, I wanted something a little beefier.  Heck, we have an 8% grade running right through the middle of the city :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom