Can my 1/2 ton tow a small 5th wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to drive 700 miles to get to the closest mountain.  :). I wouldn't be afraid of a 10% grade but wouldn't want to do one all day.

Thats pretty cool we have

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highwood_Pass

Open main menu

Edi****ch this page
Highwood Pass
Highwood Pass
Arethusa-Storm-Mist-Highwood-aerial.JPG
Misty Range towering above Kananaskis Trail in the Highwood Pass
Elevation 2,206 m (7,238 ft)[1][2]
Traversed by Kananaskis Trail
Location Kananaskis, Alberta, Canada
Range Misty Range
Coordinates 50?35′58″N 114?59′16″W

Highwood Pass from Alberta Highway 40
Highwood Pass is a mountain pass in Kananaskis Country, Alberta, Canada. It lies west of Mount Rae and Mount Arethusa of the Misty Range, south of the Elbow Pass. Highwood Pass is the highest paved pass in Canada.[3]

It lies within the Peter Lougheed Provincial Park. The Highwood River originates in the pass.

Kananaskis Trail runs through the pass, and offers access to a multitude of camping grounds and recreational areas.

But one of these days i will make it to Texas

Steve,

Those wiki pix are BEAUTIFUL!!  You are fortunate to live in such a beautiful area!  Don't expect views like that in Texas.  It is nice, but very different.

grashley said:
Steve,

Those wiki pix are BEAUTIFUL!!  You are fortunate to live in such a beautiful area!  Don't expect views like that in Texas.  It is nice, but very different.

Indeed.  :)

Steve,

Across Canada is on our list...unfortunately, I have never been past Ontario in my travels in Canada even though most of my family have...  and some of my vehicles are from there..

Great pics..

Grassy

I agree that he is too close to the edge if not over.

One thing I'd like to chime in on are the comments about 1/2 trucks and the perceived loss of safety because they have more powerful engines then in years past. When and only when you follow the manufacturers guide for towing and build in a safety factor, you should be fine, so long as you drive with common sense. That is true for 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton rigs. Yes, engines are more powerful, braking and suspension systems have enjoyed the ride of increased technology as well.
I would feel far safer in a newer 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton then in an older any of the three that people have modded to try to get to modern equivalents. I have a modded 73 Camaro that's fast as hell, still drives like a 73 Chevy.

grassy - the best part of Canada is West of Ontario lol - just kidding i love the Maritimes but Western Canada is very very cool

Well I have come to the conclusion that a 2 axel up to 23 ft weighing in the low 3,500 lb I'll be fine. Sounds like I'm going need to add a quiet generator?

If you want quiet generator your going to want a honda or a yamaha and a really big pocket book the quieter the genny the more it costs lol

One of our Rockwood's claim to fame is that it's half-ton towable. I don't care what they say- no way I would tow that thing with a half-ton. But ours is on the higher end of the weight scale...

i like this guide its simple to understand and its great for users of all levels

http://www.everything-about-rving.com/can-passengers-ride-in-a-travel-trailer-or-5th-wheel-trailer-going-down-the-road.html

tdst51 said:
One of our Rockwood's claim to fame is that it's half-ton towable. I don't care what they say- no way I would tow that thing with a half-ton. But ours is on the higher end of the weight scale...
I towed my rockwood for several thousand miles with a 2005 f150 it was under all of the limits and handled fine.
So I'll say it can be done but following the limits from the manufacturer. You probably won't enjoy how hard the truck my work and the gas mileage be poor.

Sure can get a "spirited "discussion going just by saying 1/2 ton and 5th wheel in the same sentence.

Stetay said:
Well I have come to the conclusion that a 2 axel up to 23 ft weighing in the low 3,500 lb I'll be fine. Sounds like I'm going need to add a quiet generator?
Check out the Forest River Flagstaff Micro Lite series, especially the 21 and 23 ft models with the optional Murphy Bed. They give you a queen sized bed that is up out of the way during the day; almost like and extra slide out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom