Canadian leaving the motorhome in the US

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

savy50

I am a Canadian with a motorhome on vacation for the winter and planning to leave the motorhome in the US for the summer. Can we do that? 

Sure...I got a place to leave it.  Be sure to fill it with fuel first and leave the keys.  ;)

I don't see why you couldn't as long as you paid for wherever it's stored.  Of course, there could be some strange temporary vehicle importation law I don't know about. 

I have done so in the past without incident.  But as Friz says there are some basic things you will need to do depending on where it will be located.  we left ours here in St Petersburg, so there was the extreme heat and humidity that we had to deal with.  we used stabilizer in the gas and diesel, left one of the vents open just a crack, heavily sprayed for bugs, drained all the water tanks, and put RV antifreeze (yes antifreeze) in the P traps and a bit in both grey and black tanks.  We didn't cover the tires, and they showed no decay.

Ed 

The reason I ask it's because I herd you are not insured after 6 months out of your province by your insurance company and you need to have license plate of the state you are if the vehicle is there over  6 months

As for insurance, it depends on the policy.  I never had a problem with the plate, but it was in a locked storage facility, was not moved, so who would know.  I think if you were to store it at a  campground that was open to the public, and if the police wanted to take issue, then you might have a problem, I really don't know, it never became an issue.  I know the site we used to park in was adamant that every unit had to have current tags or they would not let you stay.

Ed

I have left my fifth wheel at the storage facility in Congress, AZ with no problems. Checked with customs & Border folks. They could care less, checked with my insurance company, no problem ( that could be different in some provinces, I have heard that Ontario has some issues with it being out of province more than 6 months. Lots of Canadians do it.
Bob

Back
Top Bottom