Canadian Maritimes (Marabito's)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ron,

Here's what we did.  We booked the short ferry Port Aux Basque (6 hours) both ways.  Then we drove the west to east road to St Johns stopping at several places and after visiting St Johns area we drove back on the same road but stopped at several different places.  At that time the cost was about equal, e.g., the extra diesel for the MH verses the extra cost for the longer 14 hour ferry plus a sleeping cabin was about equal.  We were very pleased because there are MANY side roads that go out the various peninsulas from that road to and from St Johns.  BTW, you'll be surprised how far the longer ferry (14 Hours) dock is from St Johns.

JerryF

Why Ardra! It's only 85 miles ( 9 miles from Grandmothers house ). Thats just a short drive in Newfoundland as most important business or
important doctors visits has to be done in St Johns for the most part. Think of the poor folks in Labrador. If they need a CAT scan or other
advanced test its at least three days travel each way. For that matter there is only one CAT scanner for the entire province.

Dave

Jerry:

Thanks for the information.  Right now, depending on what we find in NB and Nova Scotia, we might not go over to New Foundland.  From a photographic point of view, do you think it is that different and worth doing?  Remember, when this is over, I am scheduled to go to Lake Louise and back home.  Fuel costs are pretty high.  I can afford it, but is it worth it?

Ron, we're from and love the Maritimes, but Newfoundland is very different from all 3 Maritime Provinces.  It really depends on what type of scenery and local customs that turns you on.  In fact, within the Maritimes, only PEI offers similar landscape throughout, it is lush farms with small rolling hills, all adjacent to the sea.  Both NB and NS offer very diverse landscape, from similar to PEI along the Straight, to deap forests, to beautifull valleys, and rocky harsh sea coast.  Newfoundland has mostly the latter, but it has things like inland fresh water fiords, icebergs this time of the year, lighthouses, etc.  It's sort of like trying to pick which of your kids you love the best, they are all slightly different, and you love them all.

Ron,

The photos are excellent in Newfoundland.  You'll be able to get many great coastal water scenes with buildings or boats in them.  We even have a set of pics of the many colorful houses.  A few examples are attached.  Go for it.  We really loved NF and would go again!  Look at it this way, you'll probably never get there again.  It's a long trip from Big-D to Newfoundland.

JerryF

Attachments

• Boat-02 (Small).JPG
    Boat-02 (Small).JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Houses-06 (Small).JPG
    Houses-06 (Small).JPG
    53 KB · Views: 31
  • QV-02 (Small).JPG
    QV-02 (Small).JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 35
  • TicleCove-24 (Small).JPG
    TicleCove-24 (Small).JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 37
We arrived at Timberland Acres in Trenton, ME today. We see the Ron & Shirley's Wanderlodge  three sites away from us but they are out and about somewhere.  Will catch up with them later.

Well, here is an update.  You know that the Brincks and Marabito's are at Timberland Acres in Trenton, ME. We will be here for two weeks and the Brincks for a month.

The Maine coastline is interesting.  Anywhere else is primarily trees, unless cleared for farming.  We stayed four days near Gardiner, ME and had cool weather.  At night we were in the 50's and days really never got above the low 70's.  That has changed here.  Mornings are in the 60's and days have been up in the low 80's.  Quite hot yesterday because it was bright sunshine all day.

We explored the coast pretty thoroughly from Portland all the way up to Bellfast.  I've provided two links here of images captured in that area.

http://picasaweb.google.com/remarabito/SouthernMaineCoast

http://picasaweb.google.com/remarabito/MidCoastRegionOfMaine

These images were all taken during overcast conditions.  We saw some sunshine only one afternoon back at camp.  It is a little different up here near Acadia National Park.

Ron,

We spoke your name many times today, as we saw scenery.  I saw some of the most breath taking scenery in my life.  Granted we had a beautifully sunny  day (of which there seem to be few)  The waves crashing along rocky beaches and the cliffs with light houses and coves with wonderful villages, tons of whales swimming off shore would delight you to no end.  Only you can make the decison "will I be sorry if I miss it?"  I am glad we came despite the  ferry ride,  expense etc.  It is fantastic. 

Then again as we all know, no two trips are the same and I would not want you  cussing me if you got bad weather and no good shots.  When I get a good signal I will post a few of our photos in my daily log.  We did lots of oooooo's and ahhhhhhhhh's today on the Irish Loop Tour south of St. John's,NL.

Betty

Betty:

When you see my images from Acadia, you will like them a lot better.  I have to sort them so far and clean up a few things.  I got in a full day yesterday with sunlight and this morning, I left at 4:00 am to get sunrise or fog shots, whichever happened to be there.  I got the fog.  Never saw the sun until around 9:00 am.  By that time, I was headed back to camp for some breakfast.

We are going to try to get in a game of golf tomorrow.

We still plan on the trip over, unless I see all I need in NB or Nova Scotia.  I'm sure we will take the shorter ferry.

I hope our paths cross.  I want to sign the canvas image you have.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom