Canadians going south?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hfx_Cdn said:
      Besides, there are no bans or controls on long guns, which are included in the statistics.

Ed

Perhaps you could rewrite Wikipedias pages for them with your new laws. They seem to think that there are controls on ALL guns and gun owners in Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Canada

An example of a control: "As a general rule, under the Criminal Code, the maximum magazine capacity is five rounds for most magazines designed for rifles that shoot centre-fire ammunition in a semi-automatic fashion, or ten rounds for most handgun magazines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Firearms_Registry

Another example of a control: "However, the government brought forward regulatory changes to bring in an amnesty for rifle and shotgun owners facing prosecution for failing to register their firearms. The government extended this one-year amnesty four times, with the most recent amnesty having expired on May 16, 2011.[32]"

The truth is out there. I'm offended that someone would try to mislead us on the facts about guns in Canada.  ;D

This is my last post on this subject. I'd hate for someone to get so riled up they had to resort to name calling.

Ken

Ken, maybe if you had of read the 2 wiki quotes, you would have seen that the Gun Registry was abolished, as for limiting magazine sizes, I said gun not magazines.  Once again, you see what you think agrees with your point of view.  So, go ahead and be incensed, I know you won't change your views, and it isn't likely I'll change mine.  Let's talk RVing or tourism and not guns.

Ed

Agreed, have a Merry Christmas, from a hot and steamy Florida, even if the weatherwoman lied to us, I doubt that it will hit 83 or 84 today to tie or break the record, it is in the 80's at noon.

Ed

Merry Christmas from a balmy Montreal, currently 61 degrees F. Tomorrow and Friday in the 40's and Saturday the hammer drops, By Sunday we should be out of here to share some of that warm Florida stuff!!

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Agreed, have a Merry Christmas, from a hot and steamy Florida, even if the weatherwoman lied to us, I doubt that it will hit 83 or 84 today to tie or break the record, it is in the 80's at noon.

Ed

Yes but it looks like we may end up with the hottest December on record.  84 degrees here in Lakeland.  ;D

Well, we're looking at a few inches of snow in the city, and up to several feet in the high country by Sunday.  Sort of negates the benefits of coming south all the way from Canada this time of year, doesn't it?  ;)

Stu, where is your place here in Florida.  We are trying to get a few from the forum to get together in the new year.  Nothing is set, but Rene & Lucille, Tom Seiler, and Donna and I are the ones talking about it.  Rene's in Lakeland, Tom is near Orlando, and we're in Pinellas Park.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Stu, where is your place here in Florida.  We are trying to get a few from the forum to get together in the new year.  Nothing is set, but Rene & Lucille, Tom Seiler, and Donna and I are the ones talking about it.  Rene's in Lakeland, Tom is near Orlando, and we're in Pinellas Park.

Ed

Ed, he's in Naples.  Quite a little ride.  Any other member interested?

Frizzle, there are a lot more Cubans in Florida than Canadians at any time, so any separation would be them not us.  Besides, Rene's from NH and Tom's an American who fulltimes, I'm the onliest Canadian so far.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Frizzle, there are a lot more Cubans in Florida than Canadians at any time, so any separation would be them not us.  Besides, Rene's from NH and Tom's an American who fulltimes, I'm the onliest Canadian so far.

Ed

Yeah, good point....but enjoy the float out to sea either way.  LOL

BigLarry said:
Sorry guys, I posted a Shell station in Oklahoma where we fill up when we're up that way.  Our local Loves truck stop up the road here in Bryan is $2.06.  The local Wal Mart is $1.94 per gallon.

Well I know it's a week later Larry but the regular here is $1.61 this morning.  It actually went down in the week before Christmas. (SW Missouri)

steveblonde said:
This post was not intended to be a political statement but i can assure you rebelsun that unless you have been in that position personally, you dont have a clue what your talking about and incites violence  - your statement is offensive i therefore ask you to retract it - thank you
I do know what I am talking about, and my statement in no way incites violence, but (like my guns) is defensive in nature.
That's one of the problems in today's PC culture, everyone is offended by something!
As for me, I'm "offended", that a group of Canadians (or anyone from any other country, for that matter), would choose to tell us, as a Country, and as citizens of that country, what we should, or shouldn't do with guns in our own Country.  We have a Constitution, and a Second Amendment, in which gun ownership is clearly defined, and "Shall not be infringed", which has been affirmed by the Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS). 

If you choose to live in a country in which gun ownership is not allowed, and self-defense is severely restricted, that is your choice.  I will not go on any Canadian websites or message boards, nor will I go to Canada and try to change your laws, or your perception of guns, and I for one, would appreciate your reciprocity, when it comes to you telling us, how we should outlaw or manage guns in our country, to be more like it is in your country.  You are more than welcome to enter our country, just as we are welcome to enter your country, but you must accept our culture, when you are guests in our country, just as we must accept your culture, and your laws, when we are guests in your country.

You can complain to the moderators if you like, they can delete me if they like, you can argue with me, or you can ignore my posts, and live your life, as you see fit in your Canadian culture.  We have our own culture in this country, which includes the natural rights to firearms ownership and possession, as well as self-defense, which are affirmed by the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, a document I once took an Oath to "Uphold and Defend".  Although I'm now retired, I still take the U.S. constitution, and the 27 Amendments, as the governing gospel of our Republic.

Rebelsun this was a post about Canadian going south due to a low Canadian Dollar.

"As for me, I'm "offended", that a group of Canadians (or anyone from any other country, for that matter), would choose to tell us, as a Country, and as citizens of that country, what we should, or shouldn't do with guns in our own Country."

at what point did i tell what you should or shouldn't do in your own country?

"If you choose to live in a country in which gun ownership is not allowed, and self-defense is severely restricted, that is your choice"

gun ownership is allowed in Canada by all means in fact when a friend of mine wanted a handgun permit i was one of his Character witnesses for his permit

"I will not go on any Canadian websites or message boards, nor will I go to Canada and try to change your laws, or your perception of guns, and I for one, would appreciate your reciprocity, when it comes to you telling us, how we should outlaw or manage guns in our country, to be more like it is in your country."

I don't recall this being an "American only" website nor do i recall telling you how you should manage your guns

"We have our own culture in this country, which includes the natural rights to firearms ownership and possession, as well as self-defense, which are affirmed by the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, a document I once took an Oath to "Uphold and Defend".  Although I'm now retired, I still take the U.S. constitution, and the 27 Amendments, as the governing gospel of our Republic."

I'm sorry i did not realize that you spoke for ALL Americans

For the record i have about 50 AMERICAN friends from all over the country some carry guns some don't. Just because you live in Washington State and dope is legal it doesn't mean you have to smoke it, just because you have the right to bare arms, doesn't mean you have to stand on a soap box. My intent was never to insult you personally but to inquire about Canadian going south nothing more or nothing less

- your statement " The truth is, if you do nothing, you will die 100% of the time, when dealing with criminals, thugs, and terrorists." is what is inciting violence - i have dealt with criminals thugs and terrorists I'm still here and I've done nothing plenty of times and I'm not dead yet and for the record yes i have looked down the barrel of  loaded gun in an armed robbery - and a knife and a motloff cocktail and a pitbull and been the victim  of an attempted vehicular manslaughter .( i used to run the roughest bar in town )

steveblonde said:
Rebelsun this was a post about Canadian going south due to a low Canadian Dollar.

For the record i have about 50 AMERICAN friends from all over the country some carry guns some don't. Just because you live in Washington State and dope is legal it doesn't mean you have to smoke it, just because you have the right to bare arms, doesn't mean you have to stand on a soap box. My intent was never to insult you personally but to inquire about Canadian going south nothing more or nothing less

You should look more closely at Rebelsuns post. He clearly states that he is from Boston and winters in Florida. Your blood pressure is so high ( pun intended ) that you've confused him and myself. I'm from Washington and yes marijuana is legal there as it in in several other states. In fact your own country is very marijuana friendly. BC is loaded with dope heads. Perhaps your province is too.

Ken

We stay close to the pool at our winter park and I spend a couple of hours there most days. The standard discussion topic is food; what to eat and where. On occasion the subjects of religion, politics, and guns come up (we do have Canadians in most discussions). My response to all three, although I have definte opinions, is to simply drop out of the conversion unless I have relevant facts to offer; most others do the same.

It seems to me that opinions may be changed by communicating facts, and this discussion has provided some, but no ones opinion is changed by argument or disparaging comment. I should note that complete facts are appropriate,  not just partial. For example, I suspect that Canadian law is similar to Australian in that one can indeed get a handgun permit, but the wespon is secured at s gun club or equivalent when not being used. Even if I'm wong about that, the example stands. You may own a handgun in Austrlia, but not in the sense that youncan in the US. Please be complete.

Thanks for keeping this civil,

Ernie

Rebelsun, also to speak to your post, the NRA was and is very active not only in Canada, but also throughout the Hemisphere.  I know you said that "you" wouldn't try to influence Canadian Laws, through your support of the NRA, that is precisely what you are doing.  The article is dated in 2013, but their activities have not deminished:
http://www.americasquarterly.org/content/nras-Hemispheric-reach 
Or to quote Wikipedia "It has opposed Canadian gun registry,[42] supported Brazilian gun rights,[43][44] and criticized Australian gun laws.[45]"
    Neither Steve, nor I have made any comment as to your Laws, or Amendments, or your right to carry arms.  I did make the comment that I know RVrs and snowbirds who now feel unsafe visiting your fine country, but in no way did I mean we want to change your laws, I know that isn't going to happen.

Ed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RVMan78
Back
Top Bottom