Ceiling Light-Wow could of been disasterous!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wvlonglegs

Well the other day I worked on my lights on my Winnebago Adventure 34v. By replacing the bulbs I got all to work but one. I replaced bulbs with exact bulbs that I pulled out. The one light that didn't work after replacing the bulbs, I decided I would probably just buy a new 18" 2 bulb light just like the one that was there. It is located in the hallway right outside the bathroom. So the next day I went back down to the garage to see if there were any numbers on the light so I could google it and get it ordered. Wow what I found was the light and all around the ceiling area was HOT! So I ran outside of rv and disconnected the power. Then went back in and pulled the cover and bulbs....had to use a rag due to being so hot! Removed center cover to inspect ballast and wiring....actually looks ok....so not sure what is going on. I am by no chance an electrician so decided to leave the rv unplugged till I can get help to diagnose. I thought I had the switch in the off position when I left it the other day but have flipped it back and forth a few times but not sure now. Could of been DISASTEROUS...could of burnt my rv up and not to mention garage is not very far from a gas well! Guess I was just lucky to have went back down. Anyone know where to get replacement light for lowest price. I figure someone has replaced one of theirs at one point or another. Also if I did leave the switch on could a bad ballast cause it to get that hot and not work?

Your ballast went bad.  I replaced all of my fluorescent ceiling lights with LED replacements  - no ballasts, less energy, no RFI generated, etc.

I watched a video of changing it over to led. Where is best place to get the new led bulbs. Are they very expensive?

These 12" Leds are a little cheaper and have worked great for me

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-RV-LIGHT-BULB-T5-12-fluorescent-tube-replacement-LED-400-LM-Neutral-White-/181986348526?hash=item2a5f3b4dee:g:kZEAAOSw~OVWvoJ1&vxp=mtr

Thank you Catblaster for the offer, but think I am going to switch over to LED's, but do appreciate the offer. John and Cj7365, thank you guys for the info on the bulb prices. I haven't ordered them yet but will soon! Still working on few other projects. Just received and installed (with some difficulty and a few choice words for the Winnebago mfg.) the new cargo door catch latches. Just received my order of the replacement shocks for all the cargo doors plus 2 for under the bed. Also picked up 5 new chrome cargo door clips (ones that hold door open). Waiting on a oil pressure sending unit that I ordered....so can't move the mh till I get it put on. Hoping its the right one. Freightliner dealer said they couldn't get it any more but had a replacement where somehow it ties into the ECM and having to buy expensive wiring harness...long story....but think I found a replacement on eBay...that's if it works....will see! Thought I had all the frame painted but found a spot I didn't get to good once we took the old muffler off. Ordered more Chassis Saver paint. Wanting to make sure everything is painted before installing new muffler. My list of things to do is getting longer...and longer!

Might contact Joe at Cabin Light - www.cabinlights.com. He is pretty knowledgeable and has a great selection of LED bulbs. No financial interest - though I did purchase some lights from him to test.

if your any good with soldering I can send you a few feet of led light strip, thats what I used to convert mine to led, its self stick on one side, it took all of 3 minutes to install once I was able to get my soldering gun to cooperate , after an hour.

I just won an eBay auction for a 16' roll of 5050 WW LED's on eBay for $4.01 :). The same roll, was ~$15+ on the buy it now sales. That gives me 2 18" strips on all 4 fixtures. That should be enough light to open a surgery center

Thanks everyone and thanks for the offer Joe, that is very nice of you but think I am just going to buy the led bulbs. Not sure I have the soldering skills required to do a good job....my hands shake to bad to do any type tedious work. I'd probably have it stuck everywhere I didn't need it to stick! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom