Change of Plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldgator73

Sometime last year we made a decision to sell our truck and TT. I am getting another knee replacement the end of this month and another one the end of the summer. We also discussed spending next summer in Spain with the grandkids. This pandemic has got us thinking about a different plan. Keep the TT. Sell the truck. Purchase an unrestricted price of property in the NC mountains. The property has to have a river or stream that we can park the TT next to. Our son says he will chip in and he will live down there in his homemade Class C. We have found some nice properties in the $15,000-$50,000 range from 2-10 acres. If we had it now we would be there during this crisis. We do not need utilities since we would rely on solar and generator for power. We would bring our drinking water and I have a Blue Buddy or whatever it?s called. Might just build an outhouse. This could be a contingency plan for us.

This same line of thinking has me anxious to move on the property I've been investigating here in PA, however with everything in PA slowed to a crawl I'm having my doubts I can get anything accomplished before the end of the year. Real estate activities are closed and with very few exceptions can't even get title work done. If I had the piece today, would cancel my workamping job and hunker down the rest of the year

Hard to believe but Real Estate has been deemed an essential business along with liquor stores and gun shops. We called about one piece of property and we were asked how soon we could come see it. The other consideration is if we wait a few months prices are due to drop.

Oldgator73 said:
Hard to believe but Real Estate has been deemed an essential business along with liquor stores and gun shops.

Both liquor and real estate are non-essential in PA. Stay at home order: "... ordered to stay at home except as needed to access, support, or provide life sustaining business, emergency, or government services." When I drove up a couple days ago to walk the property again, even though I was alone I was technically breaking the law.

Back2PA said:
Both liquor and real estate are non-essential in PA. Stay at home order: "... ordered to stay at home except as needed to access, support, or provide life sustaining business, emergency, or government services." When I drove up a couple days ago to walk the property again, even though I was alone I was technically breaking the law.

Our liquor stores are open in Delaware. The agent I spoke with in NC said Real Estate was deemed essential there. So I guess each state sets their own rules.

Stay at Home order in Montana:  liquor stores, real estate, anyplace that sells guns are essential.  Can't say I agree with it, but that's the way it is.  Ok - maybe I agree with the liquor store part of it.

kportra said:
Stay at Home order in Montana:  liquor stores, real estate, anyplace that sells guns are essential.  Can't say I agree with it, but that's the way it is.  Ok - maybe I agree with the liquor store part of it.

Who would of ever thought liquor and guns would be deemed essential. I kid about liquor stores. We could live without it. Haven?t owned a gun since I was 15; 54 years. As far as real estate, I could certainly wait until this crisis is over to look at land.

Hard to believe but Real Estate has been deemed an essential business along with liquor stores and gun shops.
Before Colorado went into lockdown, Denver did, and it rated liquor stores as non-essential, to start with. But after the long, long lines (around the block long) at liquor stores as people tried to beat the deadline to get their supplies, the mayor changed liquor to essential.

Larry N. said:
Before Colorado went into lockdown, Denver did, and it rated liquor stores as non-essential, to start with. But after the long, long lines (around the block long) at liquor stores as people tried to beat the deadline to get their supplies, the mayor changed liquor to essential.

I think that the main idea is to avoid rampant moonshining and bootlegging.

Gator, you're getting another end of April and then another next summer.  How many knees do you have?  ;)  Hopefully if you're going in for a redo, they'll get it right this time. 

The last time we ordered groceries on line, I decided it would be nice to have a big 1.5 liter bottle of scotch in the pantry.  When I hit the order button, we were told they weren't delivering at the time.  Since they didn't state when that would change, we cancelled the order.  While I quit drinking periodically, I'm thinking this time it would be nice to have a scotch or two, or maybe 3 or 4 while watching the news. 

uchu said:
I think that the main idea is to avoid rampant moonshining and bootlegging.
And I'll bet the tax revenue is part of the picture. Not sure about other states but here in NY taxes on liquor are high - the state would lose a lot of revenue if they deemed liquor stores nonessential.

Let's not quibble about the meaning of "essential".  If you were in the process of selling your home or business when this hit, does it need to go on hold?  Could have a severe impact on somebody's well-being.  Is there much public safety to be gained by stopping real estate transactions?  An "open house" showing would still be banned under most closure rules (too many people), but a husband & wife viewing a potential house with an agent is a minimal risk situation.  Similar reasoning applies to in & out businesses like liquor stores, where customers don't linger and crowds rarely form. Again, social distancing rules still apply (or are supposed to, anyway).  Should we allow people to go to Home Depot to buy essential plumbing repair parts but not non-essential lawn fertilizer or paint? 

It's essential that we maintain as much of our culture and lifestyle as in practical under the circumstances. And equally important that we do not disrupt economic activity without a strong reason. 

Just my $0.02

garyb1st said:
Gator, you're getting another end of April and then another next summer.  How many knees do you have?  ;)  Hopefully if you're going in for a redo, they'll get it right this time.

Having my left redone. It?s worse than before the replacement. I?ve been through extensive PT and a manipulation under anesthesia. Nothing worked.

Oldgator73 said:
Hard to believe but Real Estate has been deemed an essential business along with liquor stores and gun shops. We called about one piece of property and we were asked how soon we could come see it. The other consideration is if we wait a few months prices are due to drop.

We have been taking day trips to look (from a distance) at properties. We pack a picnic lunch.

In MA, gun stores are or are not essential depending on what day it is. Maybe they will make up their minds soon.

Oldgator73 said:
Having my left redone. It?s worse than before the replacement. I?ve been through extensive PT and a manipulation under anesthesia. Nothing worked.

Hope you have better luck this time.  I've had significant knee pain from time to time and thought I might need surgery as well.  Fortunately so far I've dodged the bullet. 

Gun ownership to me is a personal decision, like the decision to have or not have knee surgery. But for me and my motorhome, it is like the American Express Travel Card. Don't leave home without it.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Let's not quibble about the meaning of "essential".  If you were in the process of selling your home or business when this hit, does it need to go on hold?  Could have a severe impact on somebody's well-being.  Is there much public safety to be gained by stopping real estate transactions?  An "open house" showing would still be banned under most closure rules (too many people), but a husband & wife viewing a potential house with an agent is a minimal risk situation.  Similar reasoning applies to in & out businesses like liquor stores, where customers don't linger and crowds rarely form. Again, social distancing rules still apply (or are supposed to, anyway).  Should we allow people to go to Home Depot to buy essential plumbing repair parts but not non-essential lawn fertilizer or paint? 

It's essential that we maintain as much of our culture and lifestyle as in practical under the circumstances. And equally important that we do not disrupt economic activity without a strong reason. 

Just my $0.02

There you go again Gary, attempting to inject common sense into a situation. You should have posted in the joke section  ;) ;D

LTG said:
Gun ownership to me is a personal decision, like the decision to have or not have knee surgery. But for me and my motorhome, it is like the American Express Travel Card. Don't leave home without it.

Knee surgery for me is the choice of walking or not. I have never needed a gun but I do need new knees.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Superskip
Back
Top Bottom