Check engine light just came on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds like a plan Steve. I am retired with a bad back and I just cannot crawl under the RV or the dash. I have found an RV park to stay in for the next year or so. As Catblaster and I drove through here checking it out today I saw many Sandhill Cranes, a Wood Stork and a Great Blue Heron wandering around the campsites. Looks like a good place to shoot birds, we won't have to go very far.

Planning on heading that way on the 16th. Just found out that Gary lives 2 blocks from my sis.

Should see you on the 18th. will prob. be driving my car unless I have the time to fix a couple little things on my rig before we head that way.

Could you maybe PM "92GA"and "GWCOWGILL" and get their Phone numbers, It might help if we can talk to them when I am looking at the wires and sensors. Maybe with a group effort we can get it right.

Steve

Ok I have sent both of them a PM. Good idea. I am anxious to see the both of you. You won't need reservations at this luxury RV resort, there are lots of vacancies. I went out walking around the park this morning and there are lots of different species here.

Hey Tom, glad you found a good place to land while you approach the problem at hand. Sounds like you'll really enjoy birding there.

Good luck.

I agree it sounds like a bad VSS but tests have to be done. 92GA, I worked on the older models but went to the GM schools up until I retired from teaching in 2002. My son works on the newer models so I have to rely soome on his knowledge even thougjh on occaision he calls me on the antique stuff :) :) :) :). I was teaching the Electronics and computer systrems when I retired so yhes, I am somewhat familiar with the newer systems if I can just get my memory to work. I gave all my manuals and scholl stuff to my son.

Sorry, no I didn't. We have several inchs of snow on the ground and I'm down in the back. I'll get to it in a day or two. Mine probably won't have the same part number, but it may. Mine is a early 95 chassis. I'm hoping the wiring color code is the same. The book says the modules will differ according to tire size and rearend ratio.

The vss module is just where the book said it was. It is mounted on the right side of the steering colum on the brake assembly right above the throttle. Looks like it is held on by 2 small 1/4 inch or so screws. Don't think you can get the part number untill it is removed though. Mine appears to be a small black module. Also looks like it has 1 plug with 6 wires and 1 smaller plug with 1 wire. Might be enough slack that you can unplug the module and test the wires with a meter.

Good luck
Charlie

There is nothing on the right side that I can see that matches your description. On the left side of the steering column is a white thing but I can't count the wires going to it. It is difficult to see under the dash and there is a maze of wires up there. Here is a photo of the white thing, not one of my best shots though.

Attachments

• vss module.jpg
    vss module.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 71
Nope, that's not it. That looks like the dimmer switch to me. Is that mounted on the steering colum? It is a bear to get under to see it. Take your camara and stick it under the dash right in front of the throttle pedal. I said front but I mean where you put your foot. Just sick it under pointed up and take a pic.

Too many wires for the dimmer switch. Th brn/grn/ylw wires are driving lamps, lt & rt T/S.

Here are three photos taken under the dash. In under dash 1 you can see the top of the throttle and brake pedal arm. Under dash 2 is above 1 and 3 is above 2.

Attachments

• under dash 1.jpg
    under dash 1.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 74
  • under dash 2.jpg
    under dash 2.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 67
  • under dash 3.jpg
    under dash 3.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 67
I hate it when they use wire nuts on vehicles. They have a propensity to vibrate loose and or form corrosion inside.

Wish that I recognized any of those switches....... just been too long.

In 2 and a half weeks, I'll be down there and be all over that thing like a bloodhound. I may need to talk to you guys to help but I think as you do that we can get this right!!

Steve

Back
Top Bottom