Clogged toilet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

capm2020

The toilet in our RV got clogged this morning, presumably from too much "stuff" attempting to be flushed.

After this happened, we attempted to use a stick to help push the blockage down the pipe. It didn't help

We drained the black tank, but the toilet is still clogged. I pushed a hose through the blockage into the tank below, but the toilet is still clogged.

Tomorrow I'll use the black tank flush and see if it helps. I don't see how the toilet can stay clogged when the tank is empty. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Seldon

It seems the hose sprayer is used to help clean out residue from the bowl after a flush.

I can't get the water and debris to flush at all even after draining the tank.

I doubt very much that the black tank flush will work.
You have what we call a poo pyramid. Did you by chance keep the tank drain valve open all the time when using the toilet? Many newbies do that and what happens is all the fluid runs out the drain and the solids stay in the tank building a poo pyramid and it will get hard as concrete.
You’re going to have to use a stick or pressure washer to break up the pile and use plenty of water.

Oh and welcome to the forum

Last edited:
I doubt very much that the black tank flush will work.
You have what we call a poo pyramid. Did you by chance keep the tank drain valve open all the time when using the toilet? Many newbies do that and what happens is all the fluid runs out the drain and the solids stay in the tank building a poo pyramid .
You’re going to have to use a stick or pressure washer to break up the pile and use plenty of water.

Oh and welcome to the forum
And all the chemicals in the world will not work. It must be physically removed.

I had a blockage in our, new to us motor home… I thought it might be a poo pyramid, and couldn’t get it cleared with a stick or wire.. What it was a poor design, where the toilet dumped into a right angle fitting before entering the holding tank… What worked was a good old household toilet plunger… It’ll still plug once in awhile if we aren’t careful, but a quick and easy use of the plunger and no more plug..
Butch

I had a blockage in our, new to us motor home… I thought it might be a poo pyramid, and couldn’t get it cleared with a stick or wire.. What it was a poor design, where the toilet dumped into a right angle fitting before entering the holding tank… What worked was a good old household toilet plunger… It’ll still plug once in awhile if we aren’t careful, but a quick and easy use of the plunger and no more plug..
Butch
You may has some burrs sticking up where they cut off the pipe and didn’t bother to remove them. Toilet paper and solids could get hung up on those burrs.

From the description, I doubt if there is a poo pyramid. What Seldon describes is a jam in the pipe between toilet bowl and black tank - he says he was able to push a hose through it. That probably means it wasn't a macerator toilet either, but that needs to be verified. Chemical clog removers may in fact work on this type of jam. Also a drain snake. And maybe a high pressure hose nozzle if there is enough opening left to let the water get through.

Many RV gravity-drop toilets have a 45 degree bend in the drop pipe, so that nobody has to see anything nasty. Unfortunately, that increases the risk of a paper (and whatever) jam in the pipe, often right at the bend.

Our class A has that 45 degree bend pipe as well. After several times of clearing the pipe clear up to the toilet opening with water and awning rod we had determined we were not using enough water with each flush. Problem solved

Ours has a 90 degree elbow connecting our toilet to the black tank and we have never had a plugging problem.
I would suspect that something other than TP and or poo was flushed. Paper towels maybe??
Using a drain snake should certainly solve the problem.

Safe travels and all the best.

I can't get the water and debris to flush at all even after draining the tank.
You didn't say if this is a new to you RV or is it one that you have had for a long time and this never happened before? Based on your description I tend to think that it is a plug in the line between the toilet and the black tank. If that is the case you probably need to use a flexible plumbing snake abut you might try using a plunger first. More information might help us to help you.

The plunger really works well, with hardly any mess like a snake or stick… We boondock and try and conserve water and holding tank space, so that probably doesn’t help…
Butch

I appreciate the replies. Fortunately the problem is solved!

The RV is s 2014 Dutchmen Denali. I think the previous owners maintained it well, but who knows.

After an extra long tank wash this morning I again tried pushing a hose through the blockage. I saw a couple of bubbles, but it still didn't clear.

I decided to bring in a hose and blast water down the pipe. At first the toilet started to fill, but then I was able to push the hose deeper, and suddenly the toilet drained. It seems the blockage was in the pipe between the toilet and the tank.

Thanks for all the input!

Try this; if it doesn't come out of a human body, don't put it in the commode. There are many of us RVers that have a small waste can with a lid, lined with a walmart bag, to hold everything else. IMO the worst thing to attempt to flush is feminine hygiene products.
The solids in the black tank should be completely covered with liquid to prevent problems.
When flushing solids use plenty of water, and keep the black tank dump valve closed until you have at least 3/4 tank.

I have what I think are two 45 degree turns. It has clogged a couple of times. I keep a hose with the male connector cut off on hand.

When it clogs, or even when it starts making bubbles, I shove that trimmed hose down the pipe with a healthy dose of force. This usually does the trick.

After I clear a clog in the toilet down pipe I almost always get another clog when I drain the black tank. The Rhino Blaster has always been able to break it up with zero mess. I put a knife valve downstream of it to give it some clog busting 'pressure'.

Attachments

• IMG_2880.jpeg
    IMG_2880.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I appreciate the replies. Fortunately the problem is solved!

The RV is s 2014 Dutchmen Denali. I think the previous owners maintained it well, but who knows.

After an extra long tank wash this morning I again tried pushing a hose through the blockage. I saw a couple of bubbles, but it still didn't clear.

I decided to bring in a hose and blast water down the pipe. At first the toilet started to fill, but then I was able to push the hose deeper, and suddenly the toilet drained. It seems the blockage was in the pipe between the toilet and the tank.

Thanks for all the input!
Looks like you had too much input at one time

I made a "Home made master blaster" (That's a valterra product_)

The problem I saw / see with that is the yellow nozzle will likely break off the first time you use if if your toilet is offset (Like the OP's_ with a couple of angles in the drop pipe.

So I took a 1/2" PVC pipe. capped it and drilled a hole in it. Slighly less than 1/4 Inch (The first drill bit I grabbed that was "About" a quarter inch. 7/32ths as I recall). The hole is in the side of the cap . Hose fitting and valve on top.. Works well and blasts sideways.

That sucker managed to blast the sensors clear a couple of times... alas not often.

I made a "Home made master blaster" (That's a valterra product_)

The problem I saw / see with that is the yellow nozzle will likely break off the first time you use if if your toilet is offset (Like the OP's_ with a couple of angles in the drop pipe.

So I took a 1/2" PVC pipe. capped it and drilled a hole in it. Slighly less than 1/4 Inch (The first drill bit I grabbed that was "About" a quarter inch. 7/32ths as I recall). The hole is in the side of the cap . Hose fitting and valve on top.. Works well and blasts sideways.

That sucker managed to blast the sensors clear a couple of times... alas not often.

When we took possession of my dad's 5th wheel from his estate he had a similar one but built with copper pipe vs. the PVC. It works well. I use it every couple of a month in the summer after dumping to make sure all of the "stuff" is flushed out.

Back
Top Bottom