Coming soon to your windows 7 computers.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
8Muddypaws said:
Let me know if it works.  Several users have reported that there is a bug in SpyBots code that stops the changes from taking effect.

It seems to do exactly as the V1.3 did but I am not sure how to check it out without dumping the appropriate register entries and examining them!! Is there still a register editor available in win10?? Even then, Microsoft should be very capable of simply ignoring them should they choose to....

Regedit works the same as always in Windows 10, but use it only if you know the risks.

Or as an alternative you could go to system privacy settings and look at the individual items should now be disabled. 

I just updated one of my remaining W7 systems last night and haven't had time to futz with it.  Maybe this afternoon.

Anyone,

Just wonderin' about this?  I have a new unknown folder that appeared on my C:\ drive.

This folder is $windows.*BT but where I put the * there really is an S like symbol turned 90 degrees to the right. Sorry no keyboard symbol for that character.

In this folder there are 9 other folders and 5 files one of which is setup.exe (79KB).  When I click on setup.exe I get a screen showing the new WIN10 Logo and a little further below that is the word INSTALL.  No I did not click on install because I m not yet ready for WIN10.

Is this the way Microsoft sent any of you folks their free version of WIN 10??

JerryF

Yup.  That's exactly what it is.  But the normal way to install is via the windows logo in your system tray.  It'll work either way though.

That's the Windows 10 update.  The easiest way is as 8Muddypaws (your mother had a funny sense of humor in names) is via the icon in the system tray when you're ready.  After the update, there will be a Windows.old folder there as well, and that will contain your previous Windows version if you decide to roll back in the first 30 days.

After the update, there will be a Windows.old folder there as well, and that will contain your previous Windows version if you decide to roll back in the first 30 days.

....And can that folder simply be deleted once satisfied with W10? My preference has always been a clean install but that "FREE" part got to me. That and I don't want the hassle of re-installing the software I already have and use!!

Once you're sure you're not going back, or 30 days has elapsed, you can delete both of those folders and regain the disk space.

I know of many successful upgrades that kept all of the previous software intact, including 2 of our computers, and only a very few that had problems.

After reading all of this,  why is it that so many are willing to jump on the band wagon and willy-nilly install this NEW FREE W-10,  MS history is not really good when it comes to newer and bigger and better.  Can't seem to leave well enough alone for a while.

I guess I am just paranoid living in my aluminum foil lined house....

Tom Hoffman said:
After reading all of this,  why is it that so many are willing to jump on the band wagon and willy-nilly install this NEW FREE W-10,  MS history is not really good when it comes to newer and bigger and better.  Can't seem to leave well enough alone for a while.

I guess I am just paranoid living in my aluminum foil lined house....

Not sure about this willy-nilly stuff but I have been using Windows since if first came out. I have also used Apple DOS, Microsoft DOS, a bit of Linux and a couple of others. My judgement is that Microsoft has done a really good job this time for my uses of it with the possible exception of the data extortion that may be happening. I did not just "jump into W10" without a lot of forethought. The "FREE' only caught my attention and curiosity. I paid for many of the other versions or had them preinstalled on new 'puters I had bought.

Perhaps just a bit paranoid... but the good news is that heavier tinfoil is now readily available.... Just my 2 cents...

Some of us like to live 'on the bleeding edge'.

I'm a Windows insider (beta tester) and am already gearing up to test the first major update to W10.  What do I get out of this?  I get to tell MS what they've done wrong before everyone else.  (sometimes, like with the start menu in W8, they don't listen)

I really like W10.  So far I have not found a program or device I can't get to work in it except for a USB to serial adapter that won't  work because it's a counterfeit chip.

Mostly it's just fun.

I guess I shot myself in the foot, when I made my blanket statement regarding W-10.  The OS that was ticking over in the back of my paranoid mind was "VISTA"  my wife had it on a new Lap Top and it was a nightmare for her.

Guess I'd better order that NEW heavy duty super duper 28 gage  Aluminum foil. ;D

Just have to pull the nice metal ear flaps down again ang back in my burrow. ;D ;D

8Muddypaws said:
I really like W10.  So far I have not found a program or device I can't get to work in it except for a USB to serial adapter that won't  work because it's a counterfeit chip.
I have my notebook set up to dual boot Win 7 and Win 10. I found that AutoCAD 2013 will not install on Win 10 so I have to run Win 7 when I need to use AutoCAD.

Ned said:
Once you're sure you're not going back, or 30 days has elapsed, you can delete both of those folders and regain the disk space.

I know of many successful upgrades that kept all of the previous software intact, including 2 of our computers, and only a very few that had problems.

Hmmm, was thinking of doing just that today for the files windows.old and windows.~BT but on this  upgraded Windows10 computer, I can no longer find them. They were there before!!

Is it possible that after the 30 days Windows came along and did it for me?? How nice, if so!!

You may have to turn on view hidden files, it may have been turned off.

Ned said:

Ned, is there any way to make use of the OLD (win-7)?  Like an alternate boot or maybe a virtual Machine?

Ned said:
You may have to turn on view hidden files, it may have been turned off.

Good thought but... When I look up how to for W10, I find:
  •   Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.
But... On my Machine the only folder in the Control Panel  I find is Personalization and, no Folder Options within it. Any other way to get there?

On the other hand I did find these files while the previous notes on the subject here were new.

I have found several anomalies in the W10 web pages, when asking for W10 help ends up pointing to W7 info which no longer works in the new O/S.??? A work in progress maybe??

Just Lou said:
Ned, is there any way to make use of the OLD (win-7)?  Like an alternate boot or maybe a virtual Machine?

If you have an original disc you could probably install it on a new partition and use a Dual boot. Otherwise, doubtful!  Installing full image of W7, if you have one, on a new partition would also install all your other applications too and then you would have to figure out how to make into dual boot. Was easily done in previous versions but with W10....I don't know.

A friend of mine has done it but has not shared the details yet and he has access to all the original O/M files as he builds machines as a hobby.  JMHO.

Alfa38User said:
If you have an original disc you could probably install it on a new partition and use a Dual boot. Otherwise, doubtful!  Installing full image of W7, if you have one, on a new partition would also install all your other applications too and then you would have to figure out how to make into dual boot. Was easily done in previous versions but with W10....I don't know. A friend of mine has done it but has not shared the details yet.  JMHO.
I understand all that, but that wasn't my question.  I do not have a win-7 disk.

BTW - the answer to your previous question about changing folder options, is that when you get to the personalization page, you need to click on "tools" from the drop down menu.

Just using the W10 version of your W7 back up to make a dual boot w7/W10 install is not possible. At least that is what I tried to say the first time!! Sorry!

That does it Just Lou. It is too bad the W10 Help I quoted did not say that!!! And and all View Hidden Files items are unchecked so the files show (as they always have done on my machines)!!

Still no joy here!!

Back
Top Bottom