Compter Help needed to remove googleads.g.doubleclick.net from registry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think you can get to many web sites if you block doubleclick somehow . Its about the first thing that loads if you watch.Super anti spyware takes it out  every time you run it,but its back the next time  you scan.

I have doubleclick (and many other ad servers) blocked using AdBlock Plus and all it does is stop the ads.  It has no effect on the other features of any web site.  Deleting cookies will have no effect either.  They are just text files.  You do want to configure your privacy settings to block all third party cookies, they serve no useful purpose for you, just for the advertisers.

Is there a reason that adding 127.0.0.1 googleads.g.doubleclick.net or even just 127.0.0.1 doubleclick.net to their HOSTS file wouldn't work?

It would work, but just for those specific domains.  Addons like AdBlock Plus block all of the numerous domains used by companies like doubleclick.  You need something that will block *.doubleclick.* for starters and the HOSTS file can't handle wild cards.

If by "The fix I posted" you are talking about an entry in the hosts file.

This sort of works.. By that I mean if you absolutly do not want to visit that web site then by putting it in your hosts file and re-directing to 127.0.0.1 you block it, by name 100%

127.0.0.1 is the loop back address for YOUR computer. since the page is not there it can not load.

THe problem is: IN this case the page that bothers him is a redirect page.. When he does a search the search engine sends him to the doubleclick page which then passes him on to his desired page.

IF he blocks the doubleclick page he will "Kill" that search engine for all intents.

But when it comes to blocking a URL.. that does work and work well.  Just causes a lot of 404 errors.

Thanks for all the input. I only click on sites that I am familiar with and do not want to block any sites since the ones I do go to I know.  I will look at the Adblock Plus.  There are other sites that claim to remove.  I found this on the internet that explains what this does.

Googleads.g.doubleclick.com is added by a nasty browser hijacker that modifies Windows hosts file to redirect yahoo, google, bing and other search engine queries to http:// Googleads.g.doubleclick.com or other random spam sites. The hijacker may install additional threats and alter system files to prevent its detection. When activated, Googleads.g.doubleclick.com may use security holes to attach itself to files or programs inside the system. Googleads.g.doubleclick.com may monitor your surfing actions and lead to your computer to run sluggishly.

Kurt63 said:
Googleads.g.doubleclick.com is added by a nasty browser hijacker that modifies Windows hosts file to redirect yahoo, google, bing and other search engine queries to http:// Googleads.g.doubleclick.com or other random spam sites. The hijacker may install additional threats and alter system files to prevent its detection. When activated, Googleads.g.doubleclick.com may use security holes to attach itself to files or programs inside the system. Googleads.g.doubleclick.com may monitor your surfing actions and lead to your computer to run sluggishly.
If this is correct, then check your hosts file to see if there is an entry there.  If so, delete it or "rem" it out.  Open hosts file with Notepad.

For XP, it is usually located here - C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc  You'll have to turn on hidden files view in Explorer to get there.

I've been running a HOSTS file for several years, and it makes third party ads simply disappear.  I'm using the one available from mvps.org, there are others also available on the Net.  Just Google Hosts File.

The MVPS Hosts file, along with detailed instructions on how it works, how to install it, etc. is at http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

For those of you who want to use hosts.mvps (or something similar) as a hosts file and develop a web site on your computer, you may have anonymous user set to off.  If so, you will get beaten to death with prompts for username and password for each request that goes to the local host.  You will have to allow anonymous user to avoid this.  If you don't know what I'm talking about then your probably won't encounter the problem.

Back
Top Bottom