Computer fan hardwire into refridgerator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Double Nickle

I have an old Norcold fridge that is not working optimally.  Someone recommended adding a fun to help circulate the cold air and that worked beautifully, except the fan is battery powered and eats up the batteries within a few hours.  I was thinking about hard wiring a computer fan to accomplish the same and was wondering if anyone has done this before and what would be the best wire to draw power from?

Try this one out.

http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-2618VP-FridgeCool-Volt-Exhaust/dp/B002N5YDG2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1381341562&sr=8-3&keywords=rv+refrigerator+fan

I wired a small muffin fan into the 12V at the door switch...it made a big difference I have a pic of it somewhere but its easy. be careful not to short the wires. It will cause you grief.

Bob above has recommended an OUTSIDE fan whereas what you seemed to describe was a battery operated fan INSIDE the fridge.

An inside fan helps circulate the cold air much better in this small box. Fans come in 3 flavours, 12V, 1.5V batteries and 120V. For inside, 12V powering is likely the best and the easiest place to power it is likely to piggy back off the light switch near the door. For an outside fan either 120V or 12V would do and 12V is readily available by stealing it off a 12V fuse located on the back of the fridge. Check the total amperage vs the fuse capacity first though. Similarly, 120V is available from the 120V supply on the back of the fridge.

Since the Norcold always has to have 12 volt sfor control I would recommended using 12 volt for the fan.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom