Coronavirus and traveling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are planning a trip and I will take several precautions.  I am a regular germaphobe to begin with but I don't get sick very often so it works for me.

We avoid big crowds if possible, bump elbows instead of shaking hands, always carry wipes to clean hands after leaving any store or facility that has general public,
Might start carrying disposable gloves for occasions when I go to the gym or another place where lots of people touch a surface.  Might start carrying a bandana so if I feel I am in a situation where I need facemask protection ( someone coughing and I can't escape) I can create my own.  I regularly wash my hands a lot since I have a micro bladder but will concentrate on not touching face.

Otherwise I plan on having fun!!

We stopped in Lake Havasu to pick up some things at Walmart. Grocery shelves were almost empty of some items! Lots of people with carts full to the brim with staples. No hand sanitizer. Only a relatively small amount of toilet paper. It was like in the upper Midwest when a big blizzard is forecast. Kids back in Iowa say no panic there, but there definitely is some here.

Lots of people knocking the media for blowing this out of proportion. You can get the info yourself from the CDC. This is the source the US govt gets their info from. The wildcard here might be the fact that they think the virus was here six weeks ago undetected. If that is the case, there could be thousands walking around infected, and don't even know it. I know where I live, a flu like cold went through here about a month ago. Almost everyone got it. Mild flu like symptoms, coughing for a few days. My crowd is mostly 40s and 50s in age. Since they are hardly testing anyone, who knows if it possibly could have been it. No one I knew went to the hospital. Chances are if you are younger, you have nothing to worry about unless you have existing medical conditions. If you are 60 and up, I would consider avoiding crowds for the next bit of time. I think it would be hard to travel, and not contact large groups. Considering you have to grocery shop every three or four days in general, that would be one of the limiting factors. I guess you could buy more canned goods to limit shopping.  Going to populated tourist attractions could make it hard to avoid contact as well. Its certainly not panic status yet, but the fact that the news gets worse everyday is a little unsettling. I had planned a trip south in the next three weeks. Im watching with interest to see if things settle down, but so far it only gets worse.

Unless something crazy develops between now and then, we are heading to FL in 8 days to visit Kim's parents for a week in their 55+ community. I'm a little worried but we'll take precautions. Kim works in healthcare and is being very realistic about the whole thing.

A good B complex vitamin, some Vitamin C, and D3, along with Zinc and stay hydrated.
That has kept me pretty healthy for the last 4 years.
That, of course, probably doesn't stop me from being a carrier, so following hygiene protocols to try and avoid spreading the stuff to other, not-so-healthy relatives and friends is my main concern.

But I have been doing all that for the last several years, as Margo's heath and immune system have been a bit weak since her heart surgery back in 2018. This corona thing is just another bug.

we have been in Florida since Jan and paying close attention to what is being reported.  We are schedule to leave end of April. I and others in this RV park are paying close attention as we don't want to be trapped away from home.  I can be ready to hit the road in 24 hrs.  Its 1300 miles to get back home.

If I'm not mistaken...hasn't the back of a Lysol can stated that it could kill CORONA virus for many years now? That would indicate to me this has been around longer than just recently, correct?! I'm not worried...take the same precautions for any illness on a daily basis...keep them hands washed and out your face!

Corona Viruses are a family of viruses, this one though is a new variant that has jumped to infecting humans, as such we have little or no immunity to it, so doing things to boost ones immune system will likely be of little help fighting it off.  Think of it the same way as that blackberries are a member of the same family as roses, yet they are very different.

Isaac-1 said:
Corona Viruses are a family of viruses, this one though is a new variant that has jumped to infecting humans, as such we have little or no immunity to it, so doing things to boost ones immune system will likely be of little help fighting it off.  Think of it the same way as that blackberries are a member of the same family as roses, yet they are very different.

Actually, if your immune system is working properly, This is exactly the point of it. It is designed to detect a threat, and react to it quickly, and develop antibodies to prevent future invasions. 
Many of the symptoms we experience are the result of that initial contact with a new threatening "bug"
Since we have probably already had attacks from other Corona Virus variants. Our system, hopefully, will quickly recognize the threat and begin working to battle the threat.

Destin, Atlanta, Raleigh, Nashville and Memphis all appeared on this case map within the last 24 hours. Given the incubation period it has been there for at least a week most likely. I heard about Memphis from a nurses friend who said the nurse is very distraught because it is a confirmed case but they are not reporting it.  It's about to take off, travel or not, use your flu prevention skills as much as possible. This stuff specializes in killing people above 60 which is a lot of us.

Attachments

• 5Z.jpg
    5Z.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 18
Oldgator73 said:
I?m tired of messing around. I?m increasing my intake of scotch and red wine. If this doesn?t stave off COVID-19 maybe I?ll be in enough of a stupor not to care.  8)

My thoughts, exactly. Doesn't alcohol kill viruses? Does it matter what kind? I prefer a good snort or four of Sambuca.

John Stephens said:
My thoughts, exactly. Doesn't alcohol kill viruses? Does it matter what kind? I prefer a good snort or four of Sambuca.

The medical folks say it should be at least 60% alcohol to kill the COVID-19 virus, so that would be a minimum 120 proof. Everclear vodka anyone? ;)

Oldgator73 said:
I?m tired of messing around. I?m increasing my intake of scotch and red wine. If this doesn?t stave off COVID-19 maybe I?ll be in enough of a stupor not to care.  8)
I like your attitude, Oldgator!  Beats the heck out of some of the panic-stricken paranoia I have been seeing and listening to lately.  Reasonable people taking reasonable precautions should work.  If not, well, lots of us are at an advanced age (some of us *very* advanced) and we have to die of something eventually.  I prefer not to panic and not to worry.  Worry is like a rocking chair: it keeps you busy, but gets you nowhere.

;D That is my attitude! Let's quit soiling our pants and bring some reason into it. As you say we are going to check out anyway, let's not do it as prisoners of fear.

"Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step  out of line, the men come and take you away."

From a Buffalo Springfield song that I always think of when people get carried away on something. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KEC
Back
Top Bottom