Cougar322qbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cajunrzr  - have you stopped at the scales to determine your weights?
I am looking at the 32qb.
It would be good to know some real world numbers if you got them.

cajunrzr, well up over 600 and counting !!!  All I have to say is stay away from the scales, what you don't no won't hurt you, what you will know mite cost you. Thanks for all the info on trailer and 5th wheel. I purchased a new diesel truck on wensday i was holding off till i made sure i had enough truck after reading your posts the wait was over LOL. So i got a 2500 dodge  that i will be putting air bags on because I'm not paying 3000 to 5000 more for a 3500 that only has 500 pounds more payload that comes from leaf springs only, the rest of the trucks are the same. I will be right on the limits (for payload only)so the air bags should make up the rest. As for the 30 amp problem that could be a big problem for me because almost all my local campgrounds are 30 amp only. Also I wanted to be able to run this camper off a generator, i do a lot of dry camping also, So being a 50 amp i may not able to run it on the gen. The 322 that's at my dealer only has one air unit i believe its 15.5 btu. Are your ac units 13.5 or 15.5? I don't mean to pry but about how much were you able to pick the unit up for, Just trying to see if my dealer is in the ballpark. Thanks again, Jay

Congrats on the truck Jay!!!! My camper originally only had one A/C and was a 30 amp. I upgraded to the second A/C before i purchased. My unit has a sunlight in the bunkhouse over the 5th wheel, thats the hole they use to install the second A/C, so no cutting was involved. It actually comes from the factory as an option.... second A/C was a $700 upgrade and i said do it. Whenever i go to a 30 amp spot, the only thing i cannot run is the second A/C. I have the 15.5 as my main unit for sure, and i believe my front A/C is 13.5. Jay and i know ive said it a few times now, but go withy the 2500lb. bags. I love the dodge trucks, they already come pretty stiff in the back, ( compared to Ford, Chevy not so bad) so u wont need the 5000lb. bags, youll just be wasteing the few extra bucks. As a matter of fact, u really dont need them at all, but i also like having the extra insurance and prolly would install them too. As for what i paid for my unit, i have no problem sharing at all, but it was over a year ago, so im taking a shot at it. I want to say around $35k, ill ask the wife, she remembers better than me. I just make the money! haha!

Cajunrzr,  Thanks for the #'s on trailer. My local dealer has a 2011 without the new painted front end that there all coming through with now, so this 2011 was a early build i would have to believe.  I could save 2 to 3 grand by going with this one rather than a newer one with painted  front end.  But I'm thinking maybe if all the new ones are coming this way it may make the trailer look dated at resale time?  Don't N if worth the extra money.  The dealer wants my trailer(if sold out right could get 12,000 to 14,000 for, from what i see on line) and 20,000 cash with is not to bad and I really didn't start dealing hard on those #'s wasn't sure if that was the one yet. The only other trailer we think we like better is a Sabre 32bhok this is a rear 3 bunk with outside kitchen takes the place of the forth bunk which to me is worth having because i love to grill when camping and has a fridge for beer, ha ha. Don't like the decor as much as cougar but like the floor plan and the trailer looks to be built extremely well, what stood out to me was it having 8 lug rims have never seen this on a trailer before. Over all looked nice, but can not see one in person my local dealer is very small and does not have this model and is very pricey compared to what i see on line. I don't think i could ever order a trailer without walking through it first, pics just are not the same. Picked up the truck on Sat morn Love it (does ride pretty stiff glad i didn't go with a 3500) not use to a solid front axle, just need to get use to coming from a Chevy.  Now that i have the truck i will search harder for the trailer and with spring here a lot of used ones will be popping up.    Jay

Attachments

• DSC00298.JPG
    DSC00298.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC00299.JPG
    DSC00299.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC00300.JPG
    DSC00300.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 18
Jay, thats so weird that you are stuck between those two because i was too. My dealer had both on the lot and was really sold on the Sabre while i was offshore (just looking at the 2 online). Once i went to the dealer, i went Cougar within 20 minutes hands down. The sabre is very nice, the outside to me is flashier than the cougar, and it has some great features. But the use of space in my opinion (and wifes) was horrible. The rear bunkroom is the smallest thing ive ever seen. I wouldnt even consider it a bunkroom, but more of a storage space. I have 2 kids, ages 10 and 8, and there is absolutely no way they could have survived. The outside kitchen is cool, ill admit, (my parents and my inlaws both have TT's with the outdoor kitchens). The stove is a mickey mouse operation and i wouldnt use it for anything more than heating up some canned corn (seriously). The sink and fridge is probably the thing u will use most. But if u want more useable interior room, the cougar all the way. And as u have already had a camper, u possibly have all the necessary outdoor cooking equipment anyways. I bought me a damn nice outdoor stove( the cougar has gas lines already plumbed outside and alng the camper) then i went and got me 20' of high pressure hose with quick connects, fitted the stove with matching fittings and im in business. The stove folds and stows in the belly compartment nicely. I agree u need to see both units in person though. Keep me updated!

Also, this site is not letting me view any pics

can anyone else looking at this site see the pics i posted or is it just cajunrzr???

Its prolly just me, i cant pics in any of the posts from everyone. I have a ticket submitted to the moderators..... i think i did it right.

Thanks Tom just wanted to make sure it wasn't something on my side.  Jay

cajunrzr, what size hitch did you go with, I'm assuming the 16k looks about right for our needs.  They make a 15k now that is a little cheaper but uses the old rail system, was this a option for you also, or not out yet? I'm spending a lot of money with new truck and trailer, but need to find somewhere to try to save some. Just don't want to be sorry down the road.  Talk to local dealer and he said that the capture plate is no big deal to take off, just a couple of min ,not like the old ones some were welded on. He is giving me a price of 1,700 to 1,900 hitch installed.  Pretty expensive!!  There is a 18k for sale used in local paper more than what i need but half price. Looks much bigger and heavier than the 16k and i don't need any extra payload weight.

Jay, if im not mistaking i have the 12k. And my capture plate is welded on so thats where my headache comes in at. I have not seen the bolted ones yet. That price the dealer is giving u installed isnt that bad for a new one.

Ray, i have the 20" rims on the tundra and the stock tires that came with it were great tires, just the load rating and sidewall thickness scared me a lil. I went back with the same tires just one up on the rating and an inch taller to give me more sidewall. They are goodyear tires, but the type and exact size i forgot and im in the middle of the gulf of mexico right now and wont be home till next tuesday, but as soon as i get home ill let you know.

cajanrzr, not only do you get away with pulling this camper with your truck you also go up one size on your tires to play with the gear ratio, my Chevy had 245 tires with 410 gears and i could not go up one size because i would not be able to pull my TT that I have now and have good power still(so i had to keep those wimpy 245 do you know how bad i wanted to put at least 265). Before I had my camper I would run a set of 305 equal to 33" tires that have sat in my basement since we bought our first camper( and if i may say the truck looked bad_ _ _). I would only run those in the summer time, they were on a set of after market rims, and ran stock in the winter. I needed all the gear i had with out taking away any gear from oversized tires. So just another  factor to amaze us with your truck/trailer combo.

HAHA, yeah i guess i did. i probably defy most of the standards with my setup, but it works. I gaurantee that everyone reads this and shakes their heads the whole time. Im not completely ignoring the safety of my setup, i know it limits. everything i own is kept up to the highest standards possible. I am currently using this setup and camp regularly, but the furthest campground i drive to is exactly 83 miles from home. We are waiting for the long pulls for when we get the 3/4 or 1 ton. The truck has enough power to turn the larger diameter tires as the gearing in the rear end are low enough to handle it. As a matter of fact, it actually improved hauling, handling, and ride comfort going with the bigger tires. And the people i meet at the campgrounds always come over and see the setup, some have negative input, but most is positive. A few tundra guys come over and say they wish they would have gone 5er instead of TT but werent sure of its capabilities. But they all walk away saying their next one will be a 5er.

cajunrzr, I bought my hitch this weekend, I found a 2 year old 14k upgraded to a 16k pullrite superglide in my local paper. It"s the 4 pin setup, so i got the hitch, the 2 cross rails, and the capture plate that came off a keystone Laredo 5er.  All I need is frame brackets and 4 pins that hold the cross rails.  I was able to pick this up for 500.00 !!!  This is a 1600.00 dollar hitch so I'm siked.  Not sure what the pins and brackets will run me But  I'm sure to be ahead cost wise. Hitch was in great shape just needs a little cleaning up no rust stored inside when not in use or under the bed cover when on the truck.  That's the good news the bad news is now that I have my hitch the 322QBS that was at my local dealer has been  sold!!!!  So my search goes on looking for something used, or will have to order the 322 and wait 6 to 8 weeks to get.  MY fault did not take action on the 322 when we saw it, still wasn't sure it was to one. Can't wait to long now July is coming and we  need to know how were going cross country.

Jay, that is a smokin deal on that hitch. The pins and brackets shouldnt be much, and you will definantly be ahead on the price game. Im sorry to hear about the lose on the 322. Had you gone and seen the Cougar and the Sabre in person yet? Had you made a solid decision on a unit? I wouldnt be so quick to settle on another if u did.  Ask that dealer to look for a 322 for you. Im not sure if dealers can swap units kinda like car dealers do cause i think  rv units are on consignment like boat dealers are. But, im sure there is a dealer within a reasonable driving distance that has one.

cujunrzr, For me the choice is the 322qba, but my wife is undecided on which one she likes the best.  I'm sure we can find another 322 somewhere around us, we have two cougar dealers around us one is about 15 Min's away and the other is 1 1/2 hours away, the next one is about 3 to 4 hours away.  My next option is road trip to get one somewhere down in the southern states.  Hopefully won't have to go that route.

Just thought id update everyone, i purchased a 2011 F-250 Lariat 4x4 over the weekend. I have not pulled the 5er with it yet, im getting my hitch swapped today and wont be camping again for another few weeks. This truck so far is amazing though, i cant wait to hook it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom