CPAP/BIPAP machines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You want an inverter and they make any number of portable units.  I have used one to power my old Respironics unit that cost about $40.  Just match the draw of the CPAP.

I finally got to try the CPAP machine in the motorhome using the 12V power cord which plugs directly into a 12V source. I first tried it into the cigarette lighter output at the side of the bed . It would operate the machine OK without the humidifier, but as soon as I used the humidifier the system would NOT turn on properly. Yes, I was told there would be a problem. I assume that the voltage dropped below its operating (turn-on) level. The input voltage must be between 11 and 17V. I next moved the machine to the kitchen where there is another outlet. I tried it there and everything worked. The output voltage dropped down to 11.86V. The machine was set at a pressure of 9 cm and the humidifier was set at 5. The current was just over 4 Amps. The manual for the cord says to use a 5 Amp fuse so everything looks about right.

My conclusion is that my system will work perfectly OK on 12VDC as long as the voltage is at 11V minimum. The outlet by the bed is NOT adequate.

I am now trying to find the best way to get a pair of #10's from the battery to my side of the bet.

Jeff:
Since you now have a pair of wires from the battery area to the point of use why not pull in a set of larger wires and use the 12VDC direct. More efficient than converting from 12VDC to 120VAC and then back to 12VDC ;D.

Wayne:

Since installing the inverter bedroom outlet for the CPAP I have extended an extension cord from it for the MotoSat controller, modem, and router as well as our DVR and TV so it serves triple duty as a source of 110 when we are boondocking. :)

Jeff

OK, that makes a lot of sense.

My MH does not have a big inverter. It had a 300 Watt unit which just supplied the electronics. It committed suicide so I replaced it with a Zantrex RS400 a 400 Watt pure sine-wave unit which now supplies the electronics. It also supplies the TV in the bedroom so I could extend the wires and use that to supply the CPAP machine. However, the amount of work to make the installation neat is about the same for 12VDC or the 120VAC. All of my 12V wiring in the bedroom area uses #14, so I plan to install at least #10 maybe #6. The problem is finding a good source and path.

A couple of things:
There is a noise reduction kit available from Respironics. I haven't seen it but read about it on the CPAP forum. It apparently fits over the filter housing. About $15 as I recall.

Although the RemStar M Series Plus has a smart card, it only records useage and maybe average AHI.

The Pro models record a bunch of stuff such as average hypopneas per hour, obstructive apneas per hour, mask leak rate and a ton of other stuff. Respironics sells software and a card reader that lets you transfer the info to your laptop.
(It requites a special card reader with a special driver but it can be bought on-line from other sources for $35 rather than the $100 plus that Respironics wants.)

I check the info every few days to see how things are going. I have been able to drop my pressure to 12 cm H2o as a result of the monitoring while working with my sleep doctor.

If you are interested in that aspect of your treatment you might want to see if your DME will let  you trade units - mine did.

If I only do shore power, I do not need an inverter, correct?  It's like plugging it in at home.  Will it be an issue over the summer with the AC going?

meyerhaus said:
If I only do shore power, I do not need an inverter, correct?  It's like plugging it in at home. 

Exactly like it.

Will it be an issue over the summer with the AC going?

Big maybe on that.  On occasion, the combination of a campground full of RVs running A/C full blast will overtax inadequate cg wiring causing the power to drop below 105VAC -- a brownout.  This spells trouble for your AC and other motors running, including I suspect CPAPs.  That said, the situation is peculiar to a given campground and is fairly rare.  Just keep a eye on your AC voltage.  An inexpensive voltmeter plugged into a conveniently visible outlet is all you need for keeping posted on the voltage.

1. Do these things require you by purchase oxygen or is it merely compressed air?
2. If you were retired and willing to spend an extra hour to be in bed, are they necessary?

Dick,

They merely provide pressurized air to keep the airways open. Obstructive sleep apnea results in the airway being blocked, starving the brain of oxygen. The brain says "wake up and breathe", which you do, but not fully. After breathing, you fall asleep and the airway gets blocked again, and the cycle repeats, up to a few hundred times a night. Bottom line is that you don't get continual deep, recuperative sleep, and feel sleepy during the day.

A better explanation here.

No purchase of oxygen required, and an extra hour in bed doesn't really help.

I also use a Respironics .......I tried using the coach's Xantrex Freedom 2000 inverter but the overhead was too hard on our batteries over eight hours.

What is overhead? Do these things consume more power than the furnace (at 45 degrees outside)?

Dick Zeiter said:
1. Do these things require you by purchase oxygen or is it merely compressed air?
2. If you were retired and willing to spend an extra hour to be in bed, are they necessary?

Dick, as mentioned elsewhere, these things range from simple air pumps to more sophisticated devices with measurements and adjustments.

Your second question is the important one.  Sleep apnea is extremely hard on the heart.  Starving the heart, not to mention the brain, of oxygen can result in a heart attack.  Staying in bed an additional hour repeating the problem doesn't sound like such a good idea now, does it? ;D

If you have, or suspect, heart problems and sleep apnea I strongly suggest asking your doctor about arranging a sleep test.

Dick Zeiter said:
Is it because I am overweight? If I get thinner will the problem go away?

I've quite overweight, and my doctor says I stand a very good chance of the symptoms of my sleep apnea lessening if I lose a considerable amount of weight.

The sleep doc told me that there is a flap of skin at the back of the throat that closes and prevents your breathing.  He said that surgery can clear this up in about 50% of the cases, while the CPAP machine works in about 90% of the cases.  If you think you have sleep apnea (I didn't know I had it until my ex tape recorded me one night), by all means see a doctor, you'll be glad you did!!!

Steve

Increased weight exacerbates the problem, but there's no way to know if weight loss will solve the problem without a sleep study (before & after) and without medical advice.

BTW some folks opt for surgery to solve the problem. Again, you need to seek advice from a medical professional.

Re: CPAP/BIPAP machines
? Reply #33 on: Today at 03:17:08 PM ?   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Increased weight exacerbates the problem, but there's no way to know if weight loss will solve the problem without a sleep study (before & after) and without medical advice.

I'm far from an expert on the subject, but I do read a lot about health issues.  If a doctor told me I weigh too much and the extra weight might be causing my breathing problems, I'd be getting myself onto a diet pronto!  If you could solve the problem and cut down on your medical expenses and drug usage, why would you NOT lose weight if there was even a chance it might help???

Now, those of you who know me might say "she can talk, look at her."  Yes, I'm thinner than many people but once I turned 40 I starting working at keeping my weight down.  The reason is that I never wanted to be like my older sister whom I loved dearly, but she gained WAY too much weight and caused her own Type 2 diabetes, heart problems, high blood pressure, diabetic retinopathy, and things I probably don't even know about.  She was in sad shape when she died last year.  By then she had lost weight, but it was too late.  The damage had been done slowly over a number of years.  So, for goodness sake - if you're overweight only you can do anything about it.  And, if you're starting to need things like CPAP machines or multiple drugs, the worst is yet to come.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh.  I surely don't mean it to be.  Many of you are my friends and it bothers me greatly to see you starting to have PREVENTABLE health problems.  It doesn't help to grow old if you don't have the quality of life to go with it.  Please do yourself and the ones who love you a big favor and make the lifestyle changes you need to make before it's too late.

ArdraF

If a doctor told me I weigh too much and the extra weight might be causing my breathing problems, I'd be getting myself onto a diet pronto!

Whilst I understand and appreciate the concern, with all due respects, lecturing us folks who know we're overweight is like telling a smoker that they should give up smoking. Some folks have mental challenges to losing weight, others have physical challenges, some have genetic challenges, and yet others have biological challenges. Apologies, but I'm not medically trained and may be using the wrong terms.

I'm currently at the heaviest I've ever been, but a lecture doesn't do it for me. In fact, I consider it quite presumptuous of anyone other than my physician to lecture me on losing weight.

Having weighed just half of my current weight not too many years ago, having seen my weight yo-yo since I was a child, and being a reformed smoker, I believe I understand a little of the challenges.

Yes, I'm doing something about it, but lectures from well-intentioned friends are just the recipe to cause recission or reversal of the efforts  ;)

BTW diets are not necessarily the right answer, and usually don't work.

Dick,

I was curious and decided to Google Sleep Apnea and Obesity.  There's a lot available, but this brand new study might be of special interest to you in view of your question.  It's taken from the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/02/090206081319.htm

Hope it helps.

ArdraF

Short questions, not trying to start anything, just curious -

If you miss a night (or two) using the CPAP, is that a serious health issue? Had a guy in Death Valley tell us he was going to die if we didn't let him run his generator all night so he could keep his CPAP running.

Wendy
Mojave National Preserve
Hole-in-the-Wall

Highly unlikely Wendy, but it would affect him the next day and could be a hazard if he's driving.

Dick Zeiter said:

While the condition seems to be prevalent with overweight people (including me), I'm not sure that is the only cause. You need to have a discussion with your Dr. about the causes. I do know one person that was EXTREMELY overweight and the condition went away when they lost a lot of weight (almost 200 lbs.) but that may be the exception rather than the norm.

After I went onto the CPAP I was much more rested after a nights sleep and the constant heartburn that I had suffered with for years went away. Not sure why this was but it sure did. I never fell asleep during the day but I was always tired -- no matter how many hours I slept.

Woody

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom