Cruising speed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had quit using ECON as it didn't seem to do anything, the only info in my Manual is to use it on level ground. 

I am going to try ECON mode and see if it does shift at a lower speed.  Thks for the input.

Derby6 said:
I'll be the first one to post and probably get flamed.
I am VERY comfortable towing and drive like I normally do, which is the posted speed limit to 9 MPH over the limit.  I'b bet I average about 5 MPH over the posted limit.
That being said, most all of my travels have been in 55-65MPH areas.  If I was in a 70-75MPH area, I don't see me adding 9 MPH. 8)

here is the flaming ;) check the speed rating on your trailer tires. if they still are ST tires you are at or over the rating. the speed you pull at is never the problem. it is getting the rolling mass to a full stop in a short enough distance to avoid running over the kid on the moped.
I only tow a mini on the trailer total package under 2k lbs and the MH weighs in at just under 12k I like to keep it under 60 mph. not in a hurry when running the MH anyway.

I go the posted speed limit unless its posted at 75+ mph.... My rv can't go that fast on flat road w/o getting probably 2 mpg :)

Usually I stay at 70-74 mph according to the speedo on the highway.  Yes mpg kinda sucks but we get there faster 6-6.5 mpg is the norm at that speed.  Yea if I slowed down to 55-60 where aerodynamics are drastically less important we can gain 1-2 mpg but on long trips and on the highway I want to get there fast, usually do 500-600 miles a day sometimes more.

I do not use cruise, crawl up the hills and coast down sometimes touching the 82 mph speed limit.  38+ ft rv pulling a wrangler unlimited

Seems like every trip at least one dp and numerous trailers fly by me.  There was a dp in Florida that had to be going 80..... Several diesel pickups pulling trailers doing the same...... And likewise numerous people staying in the 55-60 area...... 

I think its just do what you feel comfortable with and also the mpg you are willing to deal with. 

I always wonder where all of the 55-62 people (always the majority of responses to this question) are. I drive 65-68 and usually on interstates. I pass another RV once in a blue moon; certainly much less often than one passes me!
Ernie

Like others, my normal highway speed is 62 mph.  I am glad when the 5th wheel or travel trailer going past at 75 mph is down the road.  Sometimes kinda scary driving next to them while they pass at high speeds.

Ernie n Tara said:
I always wonder where all of the 55-62 people (always the majority of responses to this question) are.

Ernie, they're probably in the dozen of so states that limit towing to 55mph. Or, as with me, stay at 55 regardless of the state I'm in.

But like, you, I seldom pass, but am passed often by those going faster than me while towing. The only time I ever pass is when going up a steep grade and the truck in front of me is heavily loaded with their caution lights on.

It's funny but the one's that go by real fast (65-70 MPH) are usually resting at the next rest stop when we pull in.  I don't think they gain very much by going over 60.  And they have to work much harder to do it, passing slower vehicles, and stopping for fuel more often.  ;)

I tow between 61 and 65 and it seems like I am the slowest vehicle on the road.  Just fast enough to stay in the right lane and have everyone pass me.  I change lanes fewer times at that speed.  Disengage cruise control when temp falls to within 1 or 2 degrees of freezing or in hilly/mountainous terrain.  You are smarter than your cruise.

Being my ST tire are rated for 65 MPH I won't drive anywhere near 65 MPH. Now as for the speed I typically tow at is what I feel is safe for me and those around me. Typically on the highway I set the cruise for 55 MPH. This gives me better control of the RV if a deer to step out on the road, grandma back out of driveway, etc. Not to mention give my ST tires room for speed. Yes I've got China made ST tire but never had a single blowout still 3 years rolling.

Since I work with both Sheriff's department and the Fire department I seen my far share of vehicle accident involving trucks and trailers both small and large versions. Every single one of those accidents could of been avoided by slowing down. The last bad one as a Semi-truck traveling speed limit couldn't react fast enough to slowing traffic so instead of rear ending the vehicle ahead he went into on coming traffic hoping to get lucky and didn't... It was a head on with another vehicle. Got to remember you towing a RV that weighs as much if not more than your tow vehicle and stopping it is not going to happen as fast as just the truck alone so please consider you speed wisely.

I'm thankful Idaho does NOT have a minimum speed law so you can drive as slow as you wish. If your holding up more than 3 vehicles you must yield to the traffic behind you. No biggy...

Joezeppy said:
Hey there.  Yes, I really pay attention to keeping my finger on that cruise cancel button Joe, on the interstates, I've found that when we hit the bridges, getting off the accelerator is the key to not allowing the dolphin effect to take over on the bridge due to rough pavement.  Even with our very capable F350, once the bouncing starts, it's an uncomfortable ride.

Why hit the CC cancel button ?  Just tap the brake pedal and get your foot on the accelerator pedal right away.  Easy when driving undulating roads or bridge spans. When clear just engage the CC to on and continue at normal preset speed.

carson said:
Why hit the CC cancel button ?  Just tap the brake pedal and get your foot on the accelerator pedal right away.  Easy when driving undulating roads or bridge spans. When clear just engage the CC to on and continue at normal preset speed.
????  Yea, that's exactly the point without using your foot.  Once clear, I just touch the resume and continue.  Easy day, no contention here.

I find that our MH will easily go 80, but we choose to go between 55 and 60.  Last year we did a 10 state loop and going across some open spaces the wind would literally throw us into the next lane if we were going too fast, slowing down gave us much more control.  Driving down the road it seems like we are a huge billboard susceptible to cross winds that you can't even see.  We just let those who choose to go the posted speed limits (mostly over 70) fly by us!

Mikie

It's not usually an issue of power, it's stability and more time to react if something goes wrong.  My old 460 would easily pull my trailer as fast as I dared to take it.  Gobs of torque....but one nasty wind gust, and things can turn ugly at high speeds.  The thing is, out here.....it can go from perfectly calm to a 40+ MPH gust out of nowhere.  You have to anticipate it all the time.

I'll stay at 55.  Maybe I'm being too conservative, but I've never had an incident towing. 

jje1960 said:
????  Yea, that's exactly the point without using your foot.  Once clear, I just touch the resume and continue.  Easy day, no contention here.

Using the foot is easier and preferred for me as well. The buttons are brailled, but they have to be sensed if not looked at. After so many years it's just a motor movement -- and faster.

jje1960 said:
Hey there.  Yes, I really pay attention to keeping my finger on that cruise cancel button Joe, on the interstates, I've found that when we hit the bridges, getting off the accelerator is the key to not allowing the dolphin effect to take over on the bridge due to rough pavement.  Even with our very capable F350, once the bouncing starts, it's an uncomfortable ride.

The first thing I thought about was those "Bridge freezes before roadway" signs but I knew that was not the issue here. Bouncing - that makes sense - some of those bridge transitions can be brutal.

As for the cancel button vs. brake debate, here's my $.02: I use the cancel button for "regular" disengagement of cruise. I find it a smoother transition, especially when going uphill. The brake pedal, however, is my natural go-to method for quick/emergency situations.

WOW I think mopar1973man hit it on the head, Some people forget that what they are towing quite possibly outweighs the TV!
I am still researching and LEARNING, going RVing is not simple it takes planning and knowhow, of which I have very little of my own.
I have been reading up for months now and pick up something new every time I log on.
Gary you are an encyclopedia thanks for all your input.
Gary a little help where can I find all the abbreviations being used, I figured out some like single rear wheel and dual rear wheel, but wondered if there was a glossary?

newbiesteve
Steve D
[email protected]

a little help where can I find all the abbreviations being used, I figured out some like single rear wheel and dual rear wheel, but wondered if there was a glossary?

Try the Glossary button on the tool bar at the top of every page.

WA has a tow speed limit like CA, so NOW I stick with 55~60. I say now because one time I ran hard across the state to Idaho at ~72ish. Heavy on the ish.
I knew better and know better. Nothing bad happened, lucky us.
In state, I can find a proper trucker and form up a nice distance behind him, and enjoy the safety of a second set of eyes up ahead. I stay back and don't push, leave room for others to pass. When we part ways it is usually with a flash of lights and a wave.

Back
Top Bottom