Damage from use of low sulfur diesel in a Class C that requires ultra low sulfur

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travelman23

I have a 3.0 mercedes turbo diesel in a 2008 class C MH purchased new this year. On a recent trip to Yellowstone Park and back to Michigan, I was unable to consistantly refuel with ultra low diesel fuel due to liited availablility. The manual clearly states that use of low sulfur diesel will seriously damage the" aftertreatment device DFP." I logged about 4000 miles on that trip and have put on another 2000 miles since then. The engine seems fine. Here are my questions:
1) How likely am I to have damaged this engine with less than 100% useage of ultra low sulfur diesel fuel?
2) What would be an estimate of repairs asociated with this damage ?
I realize that I can only expect ball park estimates but that is all I am looking for.
Thanks in advance...

Follow the manufacturers recommendations.  The would be considered the authority on what fuels can be used and what damages are like to occur if the improper fuel is used.

I can't comment on the MB diesel impacts directly but have some knowledge of the impacts on the Cummins as used in the Dodge pickups.

What you have done is contaminated the after burner in the exhaust system at worst.  This may require a service at a dealer before the scheduled time.  If you have been driving hard and the system was hot, you should have already experienced the burner cleaning the system.  IF no malfunction indication has showed up, you may even have avoided the early dealer service.  Only time wil tell.

The replacement of damaged parts on the Dodge Cummins engine is in excess of $4,000.  It depends on the amount of damage but I was told this would be a good ballpark figure.

In the future, by planning fuel stops at large truck stops, you should always find ULSD in the future.  I just completed a 3000 mile trip and onlly one truck stop had LSD but also had ULSD so there would not have been an issue.  Last winter, I found a few Truck stops that had LSD but all had ULSD.

One additional caution, DO NOT ILDE ANYMORE THAT ABSOLUTLEY NECESSARY as that will also clog the system.  The ranchers here have learned an expensive lesson as they let the trucks idle while they repair fences etc. in the winter to keep the truck warm.  They have had to replace the system in as little as about 4000 miles at the $4,000 price.  They are not happy!!

Thanks to both of you.
I have done quite a bit of research since posting this entry. I plan to take the MH in to have the DPF filter checked and cleaned if necessary. I will be more dilligent in getting ultra low sulfur fuel in the future ! The vehicle has had no engines lights on or evidence of smoke form the exhaust. I hope it is fine...

Odds are the other fuel you used may have been ULSD anyway. According to EPA sampling of fuel pumps, about 96% of all diesel pumps have ULSD whether they are so-labeled or not. The EPA found numerous pumps with no label that have ULSD and also pumps labeled LSD that have ULSD. That's because the refiners are making nearly 100% ULSD these days, so that's what the fuel stations can buy, unless they are purchasing marine or off-road diesel.

At this point in time, I would just continue to drive and hope for the best.  I doubt that there will be any long term effects but that is me.  G

Talk to a good mechanic familiar with your engine and see what he says and go from there.

Thanks Guys, I had been making the assumption that the green pump nozzles were low sulfur and the yellow nozzles were ultra low sulfur pumps but I checked out our local BP station and the green nozzle was 15ppm ultra low sulfur. I may have been having a melt down for nothing !!! The forum participants have been life savers. Thanks agaim.

I've seen green and yellow nozzles on both diesel and gas.

Me too Don, and I usually follow the hose to see where it goes before pumping unless, of course, I'm at a truck island at Flying J. I'm still concerned I'll make a mistake one day, but I won't be the first.

The pump handle colors are meaningless. Pumps certified to have ULSD will be conspicuously labeled  right on the pump, per EPA regulations. The same regulation states that pumps dispensing the older LSD diesel must also be labeled, but this has not been so rigorously enforced as the ULSD labeling requirement.
A sample ULSD label from the EPA is included below. This is a sample - individual labels may vary but must contain substantially the same information.

Attachments

• ULSD label.JPG
    ULSD label.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 14
We filled up today in Newton, IA (can you believe  ???, only $3.989/gallon) at a Cenex store. There was only 1 diesel dispenser, on the furthest island in the station. There were 3 hoses, 2 black handles for the 89 octane gas and the diesel (which were right next to each other, with only a yellow label above the handles to differentiate and a yellow handle for the E-85 gas on the other end of the pump.

MosULSD engines can runabout two tanks of the LSD wthout problem, for instance a trip into an out of Mexico.  Long term usage would dmge the afterburn. 

Ron said:
Diesel was $3.979 at Flying J in Beach ND the other day.

With it's new pricing schedule, FJ has probably lost me as a customer. I used my credit card with a 5% rebate on fuel, had no credit card surcharge and was in and out of the station with no problems or waiting (except for the slow nozzle fill).

I have the new CAT engine, of course it requires that I use ULSD also. I have run a few gallons of LSD in it as well, with no harm to the engine. for the record, it is an 07 engine. I would stay away from the newer CAT engines. The regeneration units on them are giving them fits. I have to admit, I don't like the MD engines. I had one and had nothing but problems with it. Anyway, to avoid problems with finding fuel in the future, I would get a fuel stop directory from the next truck stop you are in. The book is only 15 dollars, and well worth it. It list all the truck stopd across the country, and Canada. Then you can plan your trips if you need to. Hope this helps.
Milt

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom