Decisions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catfish17

Hello, I am so new to RVing that I haven't  purchased a truck or travel trailer yet.  Will be purchasing truck this month, either a RAM or F150 V-8s, with tow packages. I have been researching trucks and trailers for about a year. I plan on purchasing TT in April. I really like the idea of the hybrid with all the available room and gross weight. I prefer not to pull more than 6700 gross weight. I will be spending at least 7 months to full time in trailer for at least 2 years. I have rented Class Cs and travel trailer to gain a little experience. I have been looking at forums for education and pitfalls.

Welcome aboard Catfish17. I've never owned a Travel Trailer (although we do have a horse trailer) so the only advice I'd give is to pay close attention to the trailer weights - all of the weights. One of the most common topics here is about RVers who bought trailers that were too heavy for their tow vehicle. It's a dangerous and expensive mistake. Don't count on sales people to steer you in the right direction. Some will, some won't.

Good luck with your search, and let us know if we can help.

Kev

Full timing in a light weight hybrid trailer?  Please say your joking.  Unless you follow the shadow weather. It will become hot, cold and wet almost all the time.  Remember you have canvas that gets wet, transmits heat and cold at an alarming rate, and is prone to damage.  You really need to consider how and where your going to park.  Then think about where your going to put clothes, food, stuff for months at a time.  Putting stuff in totes might be OK for a weekend, but for weeks on end?  Never!

When you purchase that truck, make sure it has the tow capacity and payload (cargo) capacity to hadle the largest trailer you might decide you want. That 6700 lbs is liable to grow by the time you decide on something you can live in, so I'd be shooting for a truck configured with a tow rating of at least 9000 lbs and a CCC or Payload rating north of 1500 lbs. You may be surprised to find that many half ton trucks won't meet that criteria.

Remember that the truck becomes the limiting factor on what trailer you can buy.

To piggyback on what's been said, buy the trailer you want, then purchase a truck to pull it. It is so easy to overload your tow vehicle, or you find yourself limited to only a few TTs, when you buy the truck first.

For what it is worth: We had (just sold it) a 25 foot hard side that had a queen size bed room a full bath, dinette and a separate sofa, and a full bath room with small tub and shower . It had a 40 gallon black water tank, a 40 gallon gray water tank and a fifty gallon fresh water tank.
It's total weight was 5500 pounds. I was pulling it with a 2014 Ram V-8, with tow package and I hardly ever noticed it behind me at interstate speeds. it climbed the  steep NC mountains with out ever dropping down gears.

When we bought the Ram, we hunted around for price and power and looked at Fords, Chevies and the Ram and it was a no brainer. The Ram had the most power and was the cheapest by far.

Good luck with your decision

Jack L

catfish17 said:
Hello, I am so new to RVing that I haven't  purchased a truck or travel trailer yet.  Will be purchasing truck this month, either a RAM or F150 V-8s, with tow packages. I have been researching trucks and trailers for about a year. I plan on purchasing TT in April. I really like the idea of the hybrid with all the available room and gross weight. I prefer not to pull more than 6700 gross weight. I will be spending at least 7 months to full time in trailer for at least 2 years. I have rented Class Cs and travel trailer to gain a little experience. I have been looking at forums for education and pitfalls.
Welcome to the forum. 

Please tell us your NOT planning on buying NEW.  Most people have no idea that the depreciation on a new RV is not like a new car or truck.
It's a LOT worse.  Also new vehicles many times are riddled with problems and need warranty work, whereas a used vehicle has most or all of
the problems fixed before they sell it.
Buying used will get you a lot more vehicle for your money.

One other thing many people do is under estimate the size of TT they need to live in, especially when full time.
The bigger the TT the bigger the tanks, and storage areas.  The quality of bigger units is usually better which can be a BIG benefit.
YES that then means you might very well need a F250 or 2500 series truck to pull it.  Maybe even a diesel?
Besides IF you get the biggest truck you can afford - THEN IF you got a TT too small there would be no problem AND if you did upgrade the TT
to either a bigger TT or a 5th wheel in the future, you would NOT have to buy another truck IF you buy a Bigger truck now. 
Another reason to buy used.

But it's your money and your decision - it's just that we see it over and over people upgrading and upgrading and upgrading and that
does get expensive compared to starting out a little bigger than what you originally thought you should get. JMO.

RedandSilver said:
Welcome to the forum. 

Please tell us your NOT planning on buying NEW.  Most people have no idea that the depreciation on a new RV is not like a new car or truck.
It's a LOT worse.  Also new vehicles many times are riddled with problems and need warranty work, whereas a used vehicle has most or all of
the problems fixed before they sell it.
Buying used will get you a lot more vehicle for your money.

One other thing many people do is under estimate the size of TT they need to live in, especially when full time.
The bigger the TT the bigger the tanks, and storage areas.  The quality of bigger units is usually better which can be a BIG benefit.
YES that then means you might very well need a F250 or 2500 series truck to pull it.  Maybe even a diesel?
Besides IF you get the biggest truck you can afford - THEN IF you got a TT too small there would be no problem AND if you did upgrade the TT
to either a bigger TT or a 5th wheel in the future, you would NOT have to buy another truck IF you buy a Bigger truck now. 
Another reason to buy used.

But it's your money and your decision - it's just that we see it over and over people upgrading and upgrading and upgrading and that
does get expensive compared to starting out a little bigger than what you originally thought you should get. JMO.

I completely disagree.

First why worry about depreciation ? When I buy something, I buy it for me, not for how much money I am going to make or lose down the road.

Secondly I know too many people that have bought used only to find out the vehicle or the trailer they bought had a major hidden defect that cost them a boodle to get fixed

Jack L

JackL said:
First why worry about depreciation ? When I buy something, I buy it for me, not for how much money I am going to make or lose down the road.

Many first time RV'ers buy a new RV only to learn after a year or two that it won't suit their needs... usually they end up wanting something bigger.  Then they lose a bundle on the sale or trade.  Dealers depend on this "phenomenon" to make a profit, but it's largely avoidable if the OP buys gently used and/or spends as much time researching an RV as has been done researching the truck.

JackL said:
Secondly I know too many people that have bought used only to find out the vehicle or the trailer they bought had a major hidden defect that cost them a boodle to get fixed

Condition and care/maintenance by the previous owner(s) are indeed crucial to buying a used RV and having a good experience.  Yet another reason to research diligently, get a professional inspection done (if you are not comfortable checking out the entire RV yourself pre-purchase), and have a cash repair fund established if/when unanticipated repairs do pop up.  You'll still save a bundle over buying new.

What part of the country will you be living in?  Climate should certainly be a consideration.  How much stuff do you want with you,recreation gear,tools,work gear?  How much room do you need to not feel claustrophobic when the rainy days hit?

Just some things to ponder.  Seems like a 150 would Really limit your choices.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom