Delayed light / flickering lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodgal

We have a 2011 Heartland Big Country fifth wheel that we are living in full-time for approx. 4 months. We are hooked up to 50amp service.  The first problem started in the bedroom when I turned on the light switch, the lights were delayed coming on.  At first it was only a half second, then it kept getting longer while noticing the switch was getting hot. Okay, we won't use that light switch and use our lamp instead until we move the rig avoiding a mobile service call.  Well, yesterday, I turn on the kitchen lights and after a minute, they started flickering. Ok, now we won't use the overhead kitchen lights anymore.  All other lights, sockets and appliances work just fine (so far). Can anyone shed any light (no pun intended) on our Dilemma?  Neither one of us are that mechanically inclined and if it involves a simple fix or quick diagnostic solution, we can at least try some recommended remedies.

It sounds like you have two problems. Bad switch contacts are about all that might account for the problem in the bedroom. While it might be possible to clean the contacts, it is probably easier to replace the switch.

The kitchen problem is also indicative of a ad connection, nut the location is less certain. Try tightening all of the connections on the fuse panel. If that doesn't help, that switch might also need replacing. A loose buld socket in the light fixture is also possible, but less likely.

Joel

I had a similar problem in my 2008 Keystone Challenger 5er. The lights would go dim for a few seconds, then back to normal. most of the lights in the trailer(s) are 12v dc. Turned out that the converter was bad/weak. When I metered the converter, I got 12v. that was fine for the lights. When there was a little extra demand on the converter/charger, that's when the lights would dim. I installed a new converter, the problem went away.

Remove the wires from the bedroom switch and connect them to each other. Don't worry, you won't get a shock. Your lights should go on and stay on. If everything is OK, you'll need a new switch. Do the same thing for the kitchen switch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom