Diesel Cost???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
gr8pyrs said:
Cannot answer about Mexico but here is some data for the states.

Sure wish I could find diesel in CT for the price shown in New England! Here's it's around $3.199. Went up from $3.09 about a week ago.

Sure wish I could find diesel in CT for the price shown in New England! Here's it's around $3.199. Went up from $3.09 about a week ago.

Things are changing fast!  :(
The data is from 7/31 which is a week ago.
That site posts their new numbers around 5PM on Wednesdays.

Well more good news.... :mad: :mad:  Do I hear $4.00/gal?

Aug 7, 11:11 AM EDT

BP Shutdown to Remove 8 Pct. of US Crude

By MARY PEMBERTON
Associated Press Writer

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) -- Oil company BP scrambled Monday to assess the pipeline corrosion that will shut shipments from the nation's biggest oil field, removing about 8 percent of daily U.S. crude production and driving oil and gasoline prices sharply higher.

BP, which is already facing a criminal investigation over a large spill in March at the same Prudhoe Bay oil field, said it did not know how long the field would be offline. "I don't even know how long it's going to take to shut it down," said Tom Williams, BP's senior tax and royalty counsel.

The news sent the price of light, sweet crude oil up $1.59 to $76.35 a barrel in electronic trading Monday on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Gasoline prices rose more than 4 cents to $2.2725 on the Nymex.

I've been hoping it would go down a little so I can fill the motor home tank. I have to go out this morning and do it before I have to take out a loan!!! :mad: :mad: At least I have a half tank so it won't hurt quite so much. We had planned to stay on our lot in FL this winter but now it's beginning to look like it's time to take the wheels off.

James Godward said:
Flying J in Belgrade is 3.309 this morning and the rest of town is 3.259

Jim- I have had some great luck this summer not yet paying the $3 price anywhere. I did it again yesterday. I left Emigrant with a tank  that was not quite full but that I thought would get me to Casper where F J was showing $2.899 and I made it.  ;D With the 1 cent discount I filled over a 100 gallons at $2.889. I'm sure the next fill in about a 1000 miles will be another story.

We filled motorhome with diesel in Homer, Alaska yesterday (8/7) and it was $2.98 per gallon.  This same price had been posted all week.  Newspapers here are full of Pipeline stories.  People are worried.  Paper said 89% of state's revenue comes from oil industry in one form or another. The State treasury has a 60 day reserve, then Alaska's economy will be in a world of hurt.

Betty
Still miles and miles to go before hitting home.

The whole Four Corners area is $3.07 - $3.24 .... that includes Cortez and Durango, Colorado, and Farmington, New Mexico. We were staying below $3 last week but overnight it jumped 20-cents a gallon. Go figure.

Leo,

Have they changed the exit in Casper yet?? We stopped there once and had to unhook to get out since there was no exit around the building. Couldn't make the swing from the pumps to the exit.

Jim Dick said:
Leo,

Have they changed the exit in Casper yet?? We stopped there once and had to unhook to get out since there was no exit around the building. Couldn't make the swing from the pumps to the exit.

No its still the same but I was able to make a large circle in truck parking area -possibly because it was around noon and truck parking was not nearly full.

crude oil is separated into light to heavy hydrocarbons.  Only a certain amount of diesel and heating oil can be extracted from a barrel of oil but almost all of a barrel of oil can be cracked into lighter hydrocarbons like gasoline.  And blame the high cost of all it on lack of refining capacity.  Did you know we import gasoline from France?

jamesnaddie said:
crude oil is separated into light to heavy hydrocarbons.? Only a certain amount of diesel and heating oil can be extracted from a barrel of oil but almost all of a barrel of oil can be cracked into lighter hydrocarbons like gasoline.? And blame the high cost of all it on lack of refining capacity.? Did you know we import gasoline from France?

I'm not sure what the point oif your comment is but sure they make a lot of products from oil including bituem,fuel oil,lubricants, diesel fuel, chemical feedstocks, kerosine, gasoline, LPG, and refinery gas. The increasing improvement in the economy domestically and internationally as well as growth in countries such as China and India means all these uses increase and thus put pressure on refinery capacity as well. In addition, the increasing EPA requirements means it takes more of a barrel of oil to produce a gallon of diesel fuel and gas thus decreasing the output putting further pressure on refinery capacity.

blueblood said:
No its still the same but I was able to make a large circle in truck parking area -possibly because it was around noon and truck parking was not nearly full.

Thanks, Leo. I'll continue to avoid that one. :) The lot was full when we were there so I had no choice. Don't know if you are aware of it but George & Lucy Akers had a ranch just down the road in Douglas. George is up there somewhere for the summer. His Mom and Son still live in the area.

gr8pyrs said:
[...] removing about 8 percent of daily U.S. crude production [...]

Hope my calculation is right: the loss of 8 percent of the U.S. production means the loss of 0,006 percent of the world's production. Does that justify this increase of the price we see now?  ???

The cost of diesel here in Portland has jumped almost forty cents in the last two weeks. Where I buy it , it went from $2.83 to $3.19. Down where I work by I5 it's $3.45 at a Union 76.

f-221 said:
Hope my calculation is right: the loss of 8 percent of the U.S. production means the loss of 0,006 percent of the world's production. Does that justify this increase of the price we see now?  ???

In a word, ABSOLUTLYNOT!!!! I firmly believe most of the increases in petrolium costs are greed and nothing but greed. Gas stations increase prices immediately when something happens to affect the market. They NEVER lower prices when things favor the market!

Jim Dick said:
In a word, ABSOLUTLYNOT!!!! I firmly believe most of the increases in petrolium costs are greed and nothing but greed. Gas stations increase prices immediately when something happens to affect the market. They NEVER lower prices when things favor the market!

Jim - I disagree. We live in a market based economy; one that has and is serving us consumers well. Further, I ran a gas station in AZ years ago and its not a gold mine; the margins are very thin. If a station can raise it prices and still sell the volume it needs to remain profitable then it should; as should any business.

As to the original question, the question simply relects a complete lack of understanding of how gassoline is ultimately priced. Any one wanting to really be informed should take the time to understand the complexities of oil futures, crude oil differences and usage by country and region and its impact on prices, geopolitical impacts  and many other factors that determine final price. It would be nice to be able to have the simple answer but like many things its a lot more complex and requires effort to understand. 

Sorry but I have to agree with Jim. Just plain ole GREED is what is driving the fuel prices up. The oil industry has been ripping of the nation for some time now.  I had a pretty close connection with folks working in the oil industry when they created the so called shortage in the early 70/s.

Back
Top Bottom