Digital TV converter time coming up...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last episode... I promise. Project completed.

Analog mode on "Cable" switch position (includes analog TV). Digital mode on "ANT" position.  (TV on CH 3)

The cabinet, where the converter is mounted has a dark tinted glass door. Amazingly the remote beam will penetrate that obstacle; the door can be shut.

Cost, excluding my precious time: A-B switch $5.02. Splitter $4.47. Cable $1.50. F connectors $ 4.00. Converter -  Government subsidized  Zenith DTT900.

This is for the front TV, now I need to duplicate it for the rear TV. Some other day...

carson FL  74.8F

Attachments

• DTV converter byppass 1.jpg
    DTV converter byppass 1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Converter DT image.jpg
    Converter DT image.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 32
Carson, nice job.  One potential problem is the right cable going into the splitter.  That short radius will eventually cause the cable to pull out of the connector.  I would make the cables come straight out far enough to secure with a strap to keep them from vibrating out or loose.

Those would work too as all 3 cables are pointing down.  Straps to secure the cables would still be good insurance.

Thanks Guys, great comments.

Think I will put a new 'gold' F-connector on the old antenna input cable. Then I'll turn the splitter around 180?, which will give it more slack and should eliminate any sharp bend. Then a Ty-wrap to secure the 3 of them should make them last longer than me.  ::)

Appreciate you'all looking out for me. (I am a quality freak, but sometimes my mind wanders).  ;)

Once again, thanks to all involved in getting this extremely vital project of the ground. (How do we patent this circuit)  ;D

carson FL

Carson, glad to see you've got the project successfully completed.

I didn't want to put more "crap-in-the-gap" earlier by introducing my implementation, but.....
here is how I cabled my two converters and two TVs.  The two converters were different make/model, with different capabilities, (as were the two TVs) so I had to choose the best spot and usage of each.  Seems to work pretty well, so far.

When the new Prez sends me my check I'll get busy on my Flat Panel TV conversion.

Attachments

• RV Entertainment Cabinet.jpg
    RV Entertainment Cabinet.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 46
Lou, great plan. I wish I knew how to sketch out a diagram like yours on my computer.(How do you do it)?

Looks like both our systems solved the problem. I chose not to use the A/V cables in my circumstances. I only have front panel inputs and that would have been a pain. I guess there won't be to much difference in pix quality, all is dependent on signal strength. Besides I am not glued to a TV screen too much.  :)

Maybe if I can get a patent for my system and you on yours, we can split the difference.  ;D

Bill, I don't care about the delay, I am ready; there are many stations already on the air. The delay is strictly for political reasons. Good grief...

carson FL

bross said:
.........headlines in today's paper "Digital TV changeover to be delayed"

Not a problem.  I'm sure that, like here in Raleigh, NC, most cities with TV stations associated with the major networks already have digital in place.  For them it's simply a matter of shutting down the analog equipment.  There is little need to wait for the official cut-over date if you already have the equipment. 

Carson, I use an old program that I purchased many years ago called Micrografx Windows Draw.  Any graphics program should have at least the capability to do simple drawings like these.

I used it initially in the design of restaurant kitchens and commercial cafeteria spaces that required scale drawings for fitting equipment to existing spaces or vice versa.  Nothing you see me do here is to any scale.  Simple lines and boxes are easily accomplished.

Thanks Lou, On one of my old, long gone computers, I had a 3-D home construction program. My computer was so slow that I could have drawn it faster by hand. ;D

What would be a modern day program, hopefully free, that would be suitable for that purpose?

Maybe some one could provide the info. I now have state of the art system. XP.

carson FL ....I guess this is called thread drift.

carson FL

Carson, it was your thread so maybe it's not "drift" but "drag" ??? ???

Seriously, I'll look for a simple "free" graphics program, but doubt they exist.  Maybe someone else will come to the rescue.

Open Office has a draw module and there are numerous templates available for it, besides the ones that come with it.  It's free, and will read and write all Office document formats as well as most others.

If you have XP you should have Paintbrush (mspaint.exe), which will do the trick.

Look for it at C:\WINDOWS\system32\mspaint.exe

Steve

That's probably the easiest to learn as well, Ned.

I just did a simple google on such programs and my PC about exploded with hits, so they are out there if anyone wants one.

Luca1369 said:
If you have XP you should have Paintbrush (mspaint.exe), which will do the trick.
Look for it at C:\WINDOWS\system32\mspaint.exe Steve
Steve, maybe it's just me, but I've always found paintbrush as hard to use as the original 'etch-a-sketch".  I've never done anything but destroy a photo with it.  It was designed for people who can set the clock on a VCR, control a hoola hoop and whistle.  I never mastered any of those. ;D ;D

Ned, I use 'Open Office'  guess I'll have to look for the "Draw"module. Will do. 
  All I use so far is ~Excel and ~ Word, and they are working great.

Thanks for the tip.

carson

Lou, I agree. Paintbrush is giving me headaches. I'll try 'open office. first

LOL Lou. Add to that my complete lack of artistic ability and you can imagine how my MS-Paint drawings end up.

But we are happier people, Tom, because we understand and accept our limitations. ;D ;D

Back
Top Bottom