DirecTV for RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nolongerrv

We are buying our first RV and I am researching options for satellite TV.  We have DirecTV at home with the Genie receivers.  It seems I read somewhere that it's possible to take a couple of your Genie receivers when you travel in your RV.  I am trying to understand how this works.  We do not have the wireless Genie so our Genie minis are programmed for each TV they are connected to.  If we upgrade to the wireless setup at home would we then just take the main Genie unit and one mini in order to have DirecTV on the two TVs in the RV? 

Also, could someone explain the pros and cons to the satellite options...i.e. Winegard vs. Tailgater?  From what I gather, the Winegard can be used with either Dish or DirecTV but I think the Tailgater is only used with Dish?  It seems like getting a portable satellite would be better as it could be moved where needed to get better reception but I would be concerned about theft.  If it is mounted on the roof is it difficult to get it aimed properly for reception if in a campground with tree cover?

Any information will be greatly appreciated as I am not very technical with regards to this topic!

A number of people have posted that they are using wireless Genie units in their RVs.
The Winegard roof top Traveler is the only automatic dish I am aware of that will provide HD DirecTv. The domes and portables won't.
If you camp a lot in parts of the country where there are a lot of trees a rooftop unit can be a problem from time to time.
We had a Winegard rooftop manual dish at first and then switched to a Winegard Traveler. I carried a tripod and dish for a few years but used it so rarely that I put it in storage.

Welcome to the Forum!

We have a Winegard Trav'ler SK-3005 on our rooftop and this unit will pick up HD if that is important to you, which it is to us with all HD TV's. We are currently in the process of upgrading to the Trav'ler SWM because of the advantages of the SWM and Genie bridge.

While we have had several occasions where tree cover was an issue, we either moved, or did not use that camp site. We travel mostly west of the Mississippi and plan our stops with satellite as a serious consideration. Not everybody wants or needs that level of service, so you have to decide.

While I would not disregard the value of a portable, you cannot get Directv HD with them, and while I don't know personally of anyone who has had theirs "borrowed", it's not a stretch to realize they might be a target, where a rooftop is not.

Everyone has an opinion on the topic, including me, so think about how you have to have your service, who you want it with, and the options will become clearer.

The Winegard roof top Traveler is the only automatic dish I am aware of that will provide HD DirecTv.

We have the automatic rooftop RF Mogul dish and get DirecTV in HD.  After Motosat went down some of the people from there started RF Mogul.  It does everything we need.  You do not want a dome for HDTV because it requires a larger antenna.  We started out with a portable antenna and have evolved over the years to the latest automatic version and are quite happy with it after our first trip.

As to trees, there have been a few places where trees are an issue but we always seem to find a site that can "see" the satellites.

ArdraF

Others will provide info on the receivers.  I can tell you a bit about RV parks and trees.  When we considered a park, I would look at the layout of the park and then study Google maps (satellite view).  Doing that will tell you if there are sites that would work for you.  Find what you want?  Call the park and ask for the preferred site.  Also tell them why you prefer that site.  If the site is not available, they will likely suggest an alternative.  That is our experience, and we never had an issue.

If you have an android phone get the APP Satellite AR.  Its logo has a blue background with, what looks like, a  white colored car seat belt going diagonally across the logo.

You can use it to check whether you can get a satellite signal in a specific site.  I sometimes run out to a questionable site and quickly do this before registering.

Here is what it does.  As you scan around the sky it shows you where the DTV satellites are in the sky which is not that big of a deal.  BUT it also turns on your phones camera so, at the same time, you can see if there is an obstruction, such as a tree, in the way blocking the satellite signal.

It works with DTV, Dish TV and the Canadian SAT TV...even the space shuttle.

JerryF

PS,  Get a roof mounted dish because they AUTOMATICALLY find the satellites, rain or shine, while you're hooking up your coach.  More than 20 years ago, when that was all there was, I had to go outside and set the disk on the ground and fiddle with it to find the satellites.  It was especially fun when it was raining or 104 degrees or especially on a cold and windy day!!!

We have a Winegard Trav'ler SK-3005 that was converted to SWM.  Our MH has a DirecTV HR44 Genie DVR and a C41 wired client in the bedroom.  I chose to go with a wired client for reliability; there are no dropouts with wired systems.  The client has full access to all recordings on the Genie.  We've been full-timing and there have only been a handful of times when we couldn't get satellite reception with the rooftop system.  If there are potential issues, I use my SatFinder Pro on my Android phone to locate the satellite positions so I can move the MH one way or the other before getting fully set up.

Ditto to Sandy &
Also consider DNS to receive network stations while away from your home spot beam.
You can add an AM21N receiver to your DirecTV for local stations using your OTA antenna as well.

bobsharon said:
Ditto to Sandy &
Also consider DNS to receive network stations while away from your home spot beam.
You can add an AM21N receiver to your DirecTV for local stations using your OTA antenna as well.

My personal experience with the AM21N was poor.  The tuner won't work unless you have a DirecTV signal because the local channel information is transmitted over the DTV link.  So, if you are in a spot where you can't get DirecTV you won't be able to get local channels with the AM21 either.  I'm not even sure if it is compatible with newer units such as the Genie.  I threw mine in the trash a few years ago.

Sandy & Joel,

You are correct about operation of the AM21. In those instances where I can't receive satellite, I use the native TV tuner to scan for local channels but miss out on having the guide info available that the AM21 provides.
The  AM21 works quite well with the Genie both at home and on the road, also provides all OTA channels to clients. I wish I had been outside when you tossed yours, I have a friend that would like one :-\.

Bob

We have DirecTV DNS service and have no interest in viewing local channels.  Local news and weather can easily be obtained from the internet, if desired. Having DNS means that the DVR can stay programmed to one set of channels with no need to change them as we travel. I can't recall the last time I raised the OTA TV antenna.

Joel

We used our crankup antenna this summer to get local weather.  We could switch between local stations to see about approaching tornados, floods, etc.  Mostly we use DirecTV with the DNS channels but it's nice to have the old-fashioned antenna for backup of local TV stations.  Oh, I just remembered the other thing we saw because we were using local TV channels.  We learned there was an active sniper along I-25 in Colorado where we were heading.  We would have missed that news had we been using only DirecTV.  I suppose ignorance is bliss but knowledge of the sniper meant we could be more alert during an otherwise easy drive.

ArdraF

we've found that we don't really need HD in the RV.  It's just not that big an issue to us.  (Yet). Might get one at the Q this year.

We have an automatic dome on the roof and for those times (frequent) that trees are in the way I set up a 'lowdown and upside down satellite dish'.  (Google it)  It cost about $12 to build the stand and I had most of the parts for the dish on hand.  It's almost impervious to wind and had survived gusts that broke all the tripods near us.  ;D

I did break down and buy a good satellite meter, used, for $75.  With that and a smartphone app named SatFinderLite I can have it up and running in less time than the automatic dish usually takes.  Aiming a multi sat HD dish is more technical but once you get it down not much harder to do.  Several of our RV buds use manual HD dishes all the time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom