Do RV'ers keep their "tent camping gear?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We like to cook outside, so kept the Coleman propane camp stoves.
Have a Coleman drip coffee maker designed to use on a camp stove. Kept that to use in the trailer to help keep us less dependent on hook ups
Kept the Big Agnes down double sleeping bag with self inflating sleeping pads because we "might need it sometime."
Kept the sleeping bags in case we have guests in the trailer.
Sold the six person dome tent we had, but recently bought a 5 person pop up tent for a solo weekend trip for me on my motorcycle. I used the Big Agnes.
Don't plan to use the new tent too much, but got a great deal on it at Costco, and I "might need it sometime."

Tom and Margi said:
NO !!!  Been there, done that, since we were about 7 years old.  In the High Sierras.  All summer long.  Outhouses.  Loved it.  Wouldn't trade it for anything.  (Didn't like the outhouses.)

Now we're 78 and 84.  We've given up the motorhome, hung up the keys, and are settled into an over-55 active park.  We've been through tents, 24' trailer, 19' trailer (so we could camp in the mountains) and 36' diesel motorhome.  To each time there is a season.  When the season ends,  TOSS the equipment and start on a new and different adventure.

This is about where we are, as far as keeping things lol. However, at 49, we are struggling with the "Hey, we might not be 25 anymore feeling!" :)

Thank you everyone!!!

It wasn't long after She said "I do" that she reminded me that she would NOT sleep on the ground.  That was 55 years ago.
I got rid of my camping stuff.
Marvin

We have kept our back packing gear and use it lots of times using our travel trailer as our base camp.
We also do a lot of remote camping out of our kayaks and our canoe.
I am 81 and she is 79, and we don't mind sleeping in our sleeping bags off in a beautiful wilderness place far away from civilization

Jack L

The whole problem is used camping gear does not have a high resale value. It doesn't take up much space so you are better off keeping everything in case you need it.

We've kept key pieces of our backpacking gear - packs, bags, tent, water purifier, MSR single burner stove, nesting cookware, etc.  We haven't used it for several years now - but don't see any point in getting rid of it.  As long as we own the house - it's not costing me a dime to keep it.  Who knows, there may come a time that it may come in handy again!

^X2^
When we were camphosting, a young couple with two smaller children had driven over 80 miles to camp where we were. They had inadvertently left the poles for their tent at home. We lent them the larger of our two tents (3 rooms with porch) and that pretty much saved their weekend. They and the children had a blast that weekend. It's nice to keep stuff handy.

OH YES, I kept the camping equipment. Had two tents and all the gear. While both were nice tents I tossed the easier one to put up in the storage under the bed in the new trailer which I purchased when I was starring down the barrel of an 11 night camping trip sleeping on the ground in a tent and hiking to the bathroom and lugging water I was 41 at the time. Well, that is when I purchased my first travel trailer a Hornet Sport 27BH that was 14 years ago. Sold her last year and got a new travel trailer. I still keep the tent, screen room, battery operated lantern and a double mantle lantern along with two sleeping bags under the bed and in the back bunk room for the kids or younger relatives. Grandchildren are just a tad too young to sleep in the tent alone and the two oldest sleep in the trailer in the air conditioning. Sentimental I guess. I move them around and think take them out... then I just leave them there. I still use my camp stove as I don't cook in the camper unless it is heating soup or the weather is so nasty I can't cook outside. We use most of our camping stuff even the water jugs. However, we are not full timers.

When we switched from tent camping to RV'ing in the 60's, I kept all of my light weight camping gear I used for hiking, including a small two-man nylon tent. I have replaced some of it over the years, but I still use it when I go overnight hiking with our two daughters in the Adirondacks.

Redheadangel37 said:
Hello All!!

My DH and I are about 4.5 years out from our 1st RV purchase, and after a fairly eventful tent camping trip this weekend, we have discovered a question we can't seem to find an answer to.

DO RV'ers keep their camping gear???? I can't imagine they would...but we just can't figure out if so why?

What do you all do?? BTW our trip was eventful because we realized we are no longer in our 20'3, 0r 30's and man we are so sore!!!! :eek: :-\ :)(

We still do some camping when the weather is great in spring and fall. 

Like the majority here I kept my tent. It's in the RV storage bin. Takes up so little space, I just can't make myself throw it out or give it away.

I first started camping as a child back in the early 50's. My dad had this large Army tent with these  Alaskan rated sleeping bags that used wool blankets. Bears would sometimes come into the tent looking for food.

Since the 50's I've backpacked on long hikes and used lighter tents both nylon and canvas. I can remember when the first dome tents came onto the market back in the 70's. These became very popular. I've probably have gone through dozens of them as most don't last a long time like a good canvas tent.

I've owned different canvas tents. The one I currently have is a Springbar that I've used with my Jeep. I've also owned a Kodiac Flexbow, Turbo Tent (cotton/synthetic canvas).

More modern canvas tents use a double weave canvas that's stronger and lighter than a single woven canvas.

I don't think even though I don't go camping as often any longer will not be getting rid of my camping gear.

I've dispersed camped in RV's in the past however RV's normally require electricity to operate. Furnace requires a high amp fan and an absorption  refrigerator requires 12 volts. A catalytic heater can be installed to replace the furnace, but 12 volts is still going to be needed to run the refer. I think a RV when camping is more comfortable than a tent with heater, refer, lighting, toilet, sink, bathroom, better insulation, etc. but often isn't able to go into many areas unless you have a RV that's designed or modified to go off-road.

All my expensive backpacking equipment disappeared about the same time the Air Force transferred my son to California.  I hadn't used it in several years and he is putting it to good use.  I found that sleeping on a queen size bed is much more comfortable than a 3/4 inch thermarest.  And my outdoor kitchen is easier to use than my Whisper Lite stove and I can't say enough about my 40 lb. zero gravity chairs. 

Ok, I've gotten soft and I like it.  He can keep the backpacking stuff.

Still have more of it than we need, BUT ~~~~~ Every once in a while drag it out for a local 'KingsCyn,' 2-3 dayer.  Really makes you appreciate the coach.

Attachments

• IMG_4280.JPG
    IMG_4280.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 11
I bought an RV because sleeping on the ground became uncomfortable in a tent.  However, I kept my camping gear and still try to car camp or backpack camp once a year.  Though the RV is a lot more comfortable to sleep in!

We were pulling out of a small state park yesterday between rain showers.  Heavy rains all night with lots more coming.  There were several tent campers that did not look too happy.

I was watching some youtube over the weekend, specifically looking for info on cumberland island, thinking about doing a bit of backpacking and tent camping there....
came across a family with 3 young kids who are full timing in an Airstream, or were at the time of the video at least....  get the sense that they do quite a lot of 1-3 night backpacking trips using their airstream as a basecamp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom