Do you have a favorite AZ, UT, CO, CA, NM Campgrounds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVoorhis318

We prefer RV parks where there are no park model units just units ready to roll when the mood strikes. Our needs would be clean, safe, full hookups w/ 50A service and nice desert landscaping. We tend to entertain ourselves outside of the park no need for lots of activities, we are very social just don't do the crowded events, a personal issue of mine. Where do you go??

Thanks

Rob

Are you looking for longer term parks Rob? Asking because some nice places we have been to are limited stay....

AStravelers said:
State Parks in the states you listed should meet your needs.

A lot of the State Parks don't have full hookups, or have a limited number of FHU, sometimes 30 amp only. Some are electric only, and some sites are no hookups. It varies a lot.

There's a really nice RV park near Creede, CO (I don't recall the name), but it's in the mountains, not in the desert.

Rob VanVoorhis said:
We prefer RV parks where there are no park model units just units ready to roll when the mood strikes. Our needs would be clean, safe, full hookups w/ 50A service and nice desert landscaping. We tend to entertain ourselves outside of the park no need for lots of activities, we are very social just don't do the crowded events, a personal issue of mine. Where do you go??

Thanks

Rob

AZ: Catalina State Park, north of Tucson. Very close to Oro Valley shopping etc, but secluded. NOT full hookups, but 50 amp W/E with convenient dump station. Beautiful setting with nice hiking trails.
UT: Virgin River RV Park. very nice FHU park and a good base to visit Zion NP.
UT: Portal RV Park, Moab. OK it's Moab.
UT: Thousand lakes RV Park, Torrey. base for Capital Reef NP
CO: Ridgway SP, Ridgway. Has FHU section, but only 30amp. But then 30 amps is fine in this area. Near Ouray and Montrose. easy drive over to Telluride. Alternate FHU park is Centennial between Ridgway and Montrose.

ken

We've stayed at a bunch of them in AZ and have enjoyed them all.

We use mostly three smartphone apps to find parks and reviews.  RV parks (www.rvparking.com), Rvparky, and Park Advisor.

There are a bunch of websites that do the same things if you don't have a smartphone.

Rob VanVoorhis said:
Yes, long term.
Thanks for confirming. State parks usually have minimum stay and I was going to recommend a few of those.

Utah - we stayed for a few nights in Blanding at the Blue Mountain RV Park in August last year.  It is next to a quiet road, with gravel full hook up sites, table & bbq and nice views out to Bears Ears NM. It seemed fairly new, although it has been open for 18 years!  There is a small gift shop on site, a laundry and shower facilities that we didn't use,  and nothing else. It was close to Bears Ears which was why we stayed. It wasn't expensive  I would be happy to stay there again.

http://www.bluemountainrvpark.com

Utah - we also stayed at the Flaming Gorge Pine Forest RV resort. This was a nice place with gravel sites and grassy open areas up in the forest. The site we had was on a fairly steep slope so took a while to get level.  There are lots of trees too.  There is another RV Park on this resort but we didn't see it.  We stayed for 2 nights in August last year. We are heading back to this area again as there was so much to do. Go to the forest visitor centre, we chatted to a volunteer there called Paul Cunningham who gave us lots of info on places to see and some off highway roads to drive.  He recommended driving clockwise down Sheep Creek road and I can confirm it was stunning. Interesting geology and we saw a moose and calf.  We drove to Dinosaur National Monument from here but would stay at monument if going again as it was an hour and a quarter's drive to get there. Another beautiful and interesting place.

http://www.flaminggorgeresort.com/RV-and-Trailer-Park

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/dixie/recarea/?recid=24942

We spent the winter in the Tucson area and liked the Mission View RV park south of Tucson. We do a lot of hiking and bird watching and found it to be central to the places we like to go: Madera Canyon, Ramsey Canyon, Sonoita, Sabino Canyon, Saquaro National Park. It is on an Indian Reservation and they don't charge sales tax but only accept cash or checks. Very nice, honest, and helpful people there and they do have showers and laundry facility. We prefer to shower in our MH though but do use their laundry. They do have park models and half of the park is permanent units but that wasn't a problem.  We already reserved a spot for this coming winter too.  Another nice quiet park is Desert Trails on the West side of South Tucson. Very quiet and decent facilities. We felt the sites were a little too close together though. A third one is Western Way, just north of Desert Trails. They are usually booked up in the winter. They are on the southern end of Saquaro National Park West. I would definitiely stay away from Crazy Horse on the east end of South Tucson. That place is a real dump. We spent a month there one week.  The places around Tucson are usually full after the 1st of the year and in Feb there is Gem and Mineral Show that pretty much results in no vacancies anywhere. Hope this helps.

Rob, I think you will find most RV Parks in "snowbird" country will have park models. We have stayed at many SW areas and some really nice parks with full hookups, 50Amp, pool etc, and all of them have had a section or two of park models. Parks will very in size, amenities and price, but pretty sure all of them will have park models. Don't due state parks much as they often require very early reservations. Enjoy your travels.

Forgot to mention a nice park we stayed at in Santa Fe, NM. It was called Santa Fe Skies and had nice facilities. We stayed in Deming, NM one night but I wouldn't recommend any of the RV places there. There is a great restaurant there called Rancher's Cafe, I think. Had the best rib eye steak ever there.  It is good to explore. Enjoy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sieldenchannel
Back
Top Bottom