Do you have a Nickname?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dusty Traveler

When I was a Hiker, we were given nicknames on the trip, by fellow Group hikers. A few times at RV parks, mostly during a dish night. (if you don't know what dish night is. At Camping RV Parks one night of the week is a night where all campers come together, and each family brings one dish to share with the others.

That's a Dish Night. As a Camper and Hiker, I collected a few nicknames from others.

Like Pockets, (as I was the last one walking, so if a bear was spotted, I could run fast. "JOKING" No really, The backpackers in front of me were dropping things and I would find some and pick them up. So I became "Pockets" Talking with new friends I would act kind of dumb, and stupid. But only to learn who the shooters were. The ones who would take a vocal shot, remarking and provoking others. I never enjoyed anyone who took the fun from other's enjoyment of time and space. I was always for a witty comeback, and many were surprised, so I got the nickname "Snake Bite" Helps, me still today at times to have a smart and sharp wit.
In the RV Parks it come about by what the other park members do mostly. Reading "READER" cleaning "Mr. Clean", working vehicle or RV. the "Mechanic" Dog walker "Puppy Pusher" and so on.

What is your RV nickname?

So what was your given nickname? "Please be nice"

Last edited:
So what was your given nickname? "Please be nice"
When I used to ride a Honda Trail 90 to work, coworker gave me the name of "Daring Don Dipstick." That was back in the late 1960's. Needless to say, some would jokingly change the last word a little. :)

I also used to give nicknames to my cars and motorcycles, but these days, only my houses.

I am now at the "Treehouse" in Auburn. Lots of trees here.

My house in Reno is the "GreenHouse" because "green" is in the street name.

The house I sold a couple of years ago, was the "Whitehouse" because it has "White" in the street name.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Nicknames can be fun and helpful as they bring smiles to many, but not everyone likes them so be humble and patient, with them. I think a lot of this came about during my days in the military while at a base bar, I was informed as to why the military likes Budweiser. It's a reverse acronym R- Remember, E-Every, S-Soldier, I-In, E-Every, W- War, D-died, U-Under, B-Bravery.
One thing we all looked forward to in the service was "MAIL Call" Looking for our "Care Packages" from Home and if we did not get one we would hound our buddies who did. "A Care Package" is a loving box put together by family members of things they miss about you. Mom - pack your Cookies and cakes, Dad may add a Leatherman Mility Tool, and Brother a Card telling you about his dating world back home in the states. Sister, may add a Book you enjoyed along with other knots.

Some thirty years after my military service. I was asked by my old Still Going Strong unit. Who had new fellow Handlers deployed. We were asked to correspond and send care packages, which I did for my "YOUNG PUPP" Who retired and works as a Police officer in Texas. On meeting him with his wife and children, in Orlando, I asked him what some standout selections were that he enjoyed most, one of many things I sent him was a plastic bag with soap & water so that he could wash his T-shirt after having worn it for three days. The other was Crazy String, as he would. After a Bomb was alerted by his canine partner, he would shoot a line of crazy string and watch it fall and look where the line or string broke to find the IED. I told him Welcome Back Home and thanked him for your service. When we depart after dinner. a month or so I learned he returned for another tour.

Last edited:
In the Navy I was called Mac. Enlisted ratings (jobs) in the Navy use acronyms for the actual name of the rating with the number for your rank attached to it. If you're an Electrician's Mate the acronym is EM; if you're a 2nd Class Petty Officer EM, your acronym would be EM2. I was a Master-At-Arms, so my acronym was MA; and when I was promoted to Chief Petty Officer it became MAC (Master-At-Arms, Chief). So everyone just called me Mac, even the lower ranking people, which was perfectly acceptable.

Even today the current and former/retired Navy people I stay in contact with call me Mac when sending me an email or replying to a post.

There have been a number of times I have pulled up to the gate of an airbase or Army base and the gate guard has said, "Good morning, Chief." I asked how they knew and they pointed to the Chief's insignia tattooed on my forearm and replied, "Everyone knows what a Chief Petty Officer is. You guys are like God in the Navy."

Last edited:
I've been called "Dutch" since I was a small child because there was a cousin about my age in the family with the same given name, "Donald". My last name is of Dutch origin, so my maternal grandmother and grandfather started calling me "Dutch", and it stuck. Sometimes I hear someone call "Don" and I don't realize they mean me at first. In the service, my last name almost automatically invoked my nickname.

Hi NY_Dutch and all,

My family are German and from Pennsylvania. So we are Pennsylvania Dutch.

Getting back to the topic, my fifth grade teacher gave me my nickname "AL" I guess to be more masculine.

Nothing has ever stuck. :confused: I also don't have a name that's conducive to shortening or any popular nicks. Had my parents kept my original name, Anthony, I could have been a Tony. That's easy to say and spell.

Jolly Green Giant has come up a few times

Dr. at birth was named Butcher, and my Dad and Grandfather were butchers, so "Butch" is what every one calls me... I used my given name "Ernest" at work, so "Ernie"... And "Red", well you can guess. :unsure: .... Is it a wonder that I'm a bit confused?
Butch

As you can see from my name here Pancake Bill has stuck with me for a bit, at least online. When I went to my first Bluegrass festival in a similar but different truck camper, I invited all the online folks I knew would be there to come to my site for a 'Pancake Jam', the rule was paly for your pancakes, got a really nice group including a couple performing. That carried over to a forum rally or two when I would host a pancake breakfast, and then to Ham radio events. So the name stuck.

However in the Air Force, when at a base in NC, somehow all 3 of us in the room were named Bill. The housing officer had a strange sense of humor. So, DeLoach became DeRoach, Whetstone became Flintstone shortened to Flint, which is a really cool nickname if you have to have one, and Welch just stayed Bill, he was un-nicknameable. When I met my to be wiife in the last year of the Air Force, she was introduced to me and called me by Flint, as did her family. At the wedding the Bishop wouldn't use Flint so he called me William, and half the folks there looked like. Who?

Back to the housing guy. Had a guy named Darling, the sarge roomed him with a guy named Guay, and Love. Guay claimed he pronounced it Guy, but that wouldn't stick. Of course today, Sarge would get a court martial.

There are several my wife uses, however this is a public forum with no age restrictions and very attentive admins ... (LOL)

Never had a nickname but the property with our house on it does. FARPOINT. Two reasons: it is at the end of a very long dirt road and being a Star Trek fan, it is also the name of the first episode of Star Trek The Next Generation. Encounter at Farpoint could also be what happens when you show up unexpected.

Back
Top Bottom