Dodge Rams 1500 Diesel, an article by Consumes Reports

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doug_FL

Seems RVers will be able to by a 1/2 ton diesel truck. Here is the article: http://tinyurl.com/lzpmezs

W/3.55 rear gears it can pull a whopping 7700 lb. That is not going to help any RVer, wanting to tow a 5er.
Plus, this truck priced out at $50K! So, I don't see any advantage to it at all. Not at least for RVers. It is
too bad the emissions requirements came along and made buying a diesel pickup, very difficult.

A diesel truck and a 5er, was the way to go in my view, at least in the past. The Nissan Titan will have a 5.0L
diesel in it, down the road. Made by Cummins, who is partnering with Nissan. Maybe that will be a good combo
for RVers. I also read the Dodge brand name is going away. They will just be called Ram trucks.

The diesel option for Ram 1500 is only $1500 more over the hemi option price.  Less HP then hemi but more torque.  Torque is what holds hills.  $50k is the Laramie decked out. 

But, for those who want a 1/2-ton truck, it gets a whopping 25 mpg! (NOT towing, of douse.)  I heard it was an Isuzu diesel?  I had a friend who had one, many years ago.  He said it was an awesome engine.

vmyoung61 said:
But, for those who want a 1/2-ton truck, it gets a whopping 25 mpg! (NOT towing, of douse.)  I heard it was an Isuzu diesel?  I had a friend who had one, many years ago.  He said it was an awesome engine.

I've got 2002 Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel that does that now why would I want to downgrade?  ;)

colbrew said:
I hear they are putting a diesel in some of the jeep Cherokees now.

Been a year or two.  Same diesel is going into the 1500's.

The diesels Jeeps and Diesel 1500 are hard to get.  MY local dealer has only recieved one Diesel Jeep and no Diesel 1500s.

The "RAM" designation and the split of Ram trucks for the Dodge division was announced in late 2009. Here is an article in the October, 2009, Car & Driver:
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/chrysler-announces-dodge-ram-brand-shuffles-some-executives-car-news

The actual removal of the Dodge name from each truck model's trim and the advertising media took some time.

Mopar1973Man said:
I've got 2002 Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel that does that now why would I want to downgrade?  ;)

As I said - for those who want a 1/2 ton . . .  I would never downgrade my 2500 either.  Correction - They get 28 mpg.

Gary RV Roamer said:
The "RAM" designation and the split of Ram trucks for the Dodge division was announced in late 2009. Here is an article in the October, 2009, Car & Driver:
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/chrysler-announces-dodge-ram-brand-shuffles-some-executives-car-news

The actual removal of the Dodge name from each truck model's trim and the advertising media took some time.
Yep. "Announced" in late 2009. Completed and put into affect for the 2011 model year. Know how I know? My 2010 had DODGE badging on it. This ceased in 2011.
This was a plan that went back to the early to mid 200s though. Daimler was going to make RAM a stand alone brand. I don't know exactly what years, but my 2005 had no dodge branding and my 2006 has no dodge branding. Cerberus scrapped that idea when they bought Chrysler, putting the truck division back under the Dodge brand. I guess the Italians decided to go with the European model.
A sad and silly notion IMO. Europeans just don't get American truck culture.
As to the 1/2 ton trucks. I really liked both of mine. But the 2010 really was nothing more than an
El Camino.  Don't get me wrong. I loved that truck. Best riding car I have ever owned. ;D but no matter how I tried I just couldn't tow my 30 footer with it.
I am pleasantly surprised at how well the 1 ton rides though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoehn02
Back
Top Bottom