Don't Be THIS GUY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlesinGA

From Truck Camper Adventure website.

IMG_2400.jpeg

All I can say is WOW! Actually a pretty decent looking late model F150 and he is using ratchet straps to secure the camper.

Charles

That model camper has a dry weight of about 3300 lbs. The F150 has a payload of no more than 1800 lb and probably less than 1500 lb. The tires are screaming.

Charles
Well Ford is always bragging about how Tough their Trucks are and how much they can carry.
(One of the reasons I'd like to see Ford and other companies who advertise payloads way beyond the truck's design held accountable when the inevitable happens)

Most states have general catchall laws on operating a vehicle with an unsafe load. Just the other day (Friday or Saturday) I saw a GA Dept of Public Safety officer (the truck enforcement folks, but they do all kinds of enforcement if State Patrol is not available) and they had a pickup pulling a trailer with boards stacked on it, stopped on the interstate. While I do not know for sure, the first thing that went thru my mind was "they stopped him for an unsafe load" as the boards were not secured in any way.

Charles

When we picked up my daughter's truck camper, it had a Stabile Lift system on it. That system uses brackets under the truck to secure the fit to the truck. We didn't have the brackets. We strapped the camper to the truck using heavy duty ratchet straps on the camper tie down points. Came very slowly back home on all the little used back roads (180+ miles). Almost got rear-ended by an idiot Mexican tour bus (still don't know why it was on that road). Watched a tornado (not a dust devil but an actual tornado) cross the road in front of us. Made it home safely. The camper shifted sideways a few inches in the bed of the truck when the wind from the tornado caught us broadside. Otherwise, it didn't move. And we swore to never do that again. Bought & installed the brackets for the Stable Lift and the camper stays on the truck all the time unless I have to do some work on it that requires the camper to be off the truck (like when I replaced all of the grey water drain pipe because it had a crack on top of the drain pipe). Sometimes you do what you have to do because there are no other feasible options.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom