Don't Be THIS GUY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I doubt if he is breaking any laws. Insanity isn't a crime...
Maybe not, but it's hard to imagine why that would be allowed on a roadway. That's an accident waiting to happen, not only is the load unstable, look at the front, he's driving on ice.

They can probably cite him for being overloaded and improperly securing a load. The rear of that camper is almost touching the ground. I'm sure his steering is also compromised.
Typically none of those regs will apply to private vehicles - they are specifically for commercial trucks. But there are often vague regulations such as "unsafe operation" that might be applied if the LEO is sufficiently upset. But preventing the vehicle from continuing on as-is can be a lot of hassle for the officer as well as the driver, so may be reluctant to do it.

Typically none of those regs will apply to private vehicles - they are specifically for commercial trucks. But there are often vague regulations such as "unsafe operation" that might be applied if the LEO is sufficiently upset. But preventing the vehicle from continuing on as-is can be a lot of hassle for the officer as well as the driver, so may be reluctant to do it.
As opposed to it coming off and killing everyone in the vehicle behind? He got it on there, he can get it off and onto a vehicle which can safely move it without risking the lives of themselves and others. His transporting adventure would last just about as long as it would take a Texas State Trooper to get him off the road where he belongs and he's going to tell you "not my problem, yours". If I saw him I'd call them.

As opposed to it coming off and killing everyone in the vehicle behind? He got it on there, he can get it off and onto a vehicle which can safely move it without risking the lives of themselves and others. His transporting adventure would last just about as long as it would take a Texas State Trooper to get him off the road where he belongs and he's going to tell you "not my problem, yours". If I saw him I'd call them.

When I was working we had no problem calling tow trucks and had at least 3 of them on our list that could safely haul that conflagration to impound and slap a "Condemned" sticker on it.

And one of the fun things is in MI pick up trucks get "Truck" Commercial type plates.. So do Cars used for commercial use (Higher fee) Trucks depending on GVW may get GVW plates or just standard "Truck"/Commercial plates.

I have to disagree that the reg's don't apply to private vehicles. Overloaded is overloaded no matter the circumstances. An overloaded vehicle of any type creates a danger.
A friend and I used to cut down trees for firewood. I had a 1975 GMC heavy half ton and he had a small Toyota pickup. We were both loaded over the top of the bedside and the load covered. His truck was visibly carrying a load over the limit of his truck. A State cop pulled us over and inspected the loads. He gave both of us a written warning, but allowed me to drive home since I had an HD truck. My buddy had to park his truck on the berm until we could go back and transfer part of his load to my truck.
The Leo was correct and could have easily cited us. We didn't argue about it and he did us a favor by only issuing a warning.
Any vehicle creating a hazard is breaking the law.

This is known as "Can Opener Bridge" in Durham, NC. A known low bridge but not by these folks. Mostly moving trucks but a few RVs. Mind you, none of these are repeats. I count 92 with a car accident and some hay bales thrown in.

Last edited:
That trooper is also responsible for dealing with abandoned vehicles on the roadside, which are also a hazard. Particularly if he caused it to be there. Typically he would call a towing service to remove it.

I'm not suggesting that vehicle isn't hazardous and by all means report it if you encounter it. Just don't be surprised if only minimal action is taken. The results will vary widely with the zealousness of responding officer.

That trooper is also responsible for dealing with abandoned vehicles on the roadside, which are also a hazard. Particularly if he caused it to be there. Typically he would call a towing service to remove it.

I'm not suggesting that vehicle isn't hazardous and by all means report it if you encounter it. Just don't be surprised if only minimal action is taken. The results will vary widely with the zealousness of responding officer.
I’m confident our State Troopers know what they’re doing.

I’m confident our State Troopers know what they’re doing.

Generally I agree with you... I know in Michigan that's the case. Our Troopers are very well trained and ongoing Refresher classes as well.

City and county... Well..... Some of them don't do so good. Once had a city officer tell me my license was expiered. On a Saturday.. The only problem is that my birthday was not till Sunday (Expires normally on your birthday... UNLESS said day is a Sunday or Holiday or other day when Secretary of State (Michigan's DMV) is closed in which case it extends through the next business day) She did not know that.. I was hoping she'd write the ticket. (And I'm not even a law enforcement officer.. Just got paid to tell 'em where to go.. Still get paid.. Don't have to dispatch them any more).

Generally I agree with you... I know in Michigan that's the case. Our Troopers are very well trained and ongoing Refresher classes as well.

City and county... Well..... Some of them don't do so good. Once had a city officer tell me my license was expiered. On a Saturday.. The only problem is that my birthday was not till Sunday (Expires normally on your birthday... UNLESS said day is a Sunday or Holiday or other day when Secretary of State (Michigan's DMV) is closed in which case it extends through the next business day) She did not know that.. I was hoping she'd write the ticket. (And I'm not even a law enforcement officer.. Just got paid to tell 'em where to go.. Still get paid.. Don't have to dispatch them any more).
You get what you pay for, our city police are required to have a Bachelors Degree and pass a rigorous psych eval., they don't hire cowboys. We have one of the best mid size dept's in the nation too. A good young friend of mine was hired as a dispatch operator for the city only after undergoing a rigorous process and then had to work under a trainer for a year.

You get what you pay for, our city police are required to have a Bachelors Degree and pass a rigorous psych eval., they don't hire cowboys. We have one of the best mid size dept's in the nation too. A good young friend of mine was hired as a dispatch operator for the city only after undergoing a rigorous process and then had to work under a trainer for a year.

Fully agree.. I know one city where the Police are trained by the State Police here in Michigan ((Several in fact are only know the name of one)) I've met their officers on the road.. Very good. Very professional... Same as MSP. (Naturaly, same standards)

And I've met officers who were surprised when they read a law. A basic traffic law. (Different city)

I've met PROSECUTORS who did not know the laws they enforce.

This is known as "Can Opener Bridge" in Durham, NC. A known low bridge but not by these folks. Mostly moving trucks but a few RVs. Mind you, none of these are repeats. I count 92 with a car accident and some hay bales thrown in.

There's a tunnel in Chattanooga (Eastbank) where the approaches have flashing lights with height warnings and even a pipe hanging over the roadway at the clearance height of the tunnel and at least once a year an eighteen wheeler will drive through all the warnings and get stuck in the tunnel, blocking traffic for an entire day.

In a Northern suburb of Cincinnati which I will not name there is a railroad bridge at exactly 8 feet over the road. You would not believe how many trucks and RVs ignore the multiple very large signs and try it any way. You know how that ends. wish I had a pic to show.

and it is a short bed truck. See the little rectangle sticker just above the 4 in 4x4? Tha is the one that says over or forward of axle.
And he has 2-feet sticking out past the rear end of the bed.

That model camper has a dry weight of about 3300 lbs. The F150 has a payload of no more than 1800 lb and probably less than 1500 lb. The tires are screaming.

Charles
As is the rear axle and suspension.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom