Dry camping coffee brewing ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Funny about camp coffee: Our church RA's went on a camping trip and the first morning the councillors realized no one brought a coffee pot. Well after many searches and scratching of heads, they decided to boil the coffee in a iron skillet. The only problem was the color came out green, they were so desperate that they drank it anyway.

I'm with the other French Pressers. I'm a coffee snob and with or without shore power we hand crank the bean (get ground if you don't want the work) boil some water and in the french press - makes the best coffee and is just some heating of water. Once you use a press you likely won't go back to drip machines.

I forgot the link for the espresso pots, they come in 1-9 cup sizes:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001J1L59E/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001J1L59E&linkCode=as2&tag=recreationalvehicles-20

When I moved off the sailboat, we had propane stove but erratic electricity ashore on a far flung island, I switched to a stainless steel insulated French Coffee press, just boil the water on the propane stove, then pour into the press. I had so many happy mornings on my balcony overlooking the harbor sipping coffee. The double walls kept it hot a good long time.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VTZ77S/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003VTZ77S&linkCode=as2&tag=recreationalvehicles-20

Attachments

• bon jour french coffee press.jpg
    bon jour french coffee press.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 2
I don't drink soda pop, Tom. Besides, a hot drink in the morning is rather welcome, and coffee provides that with no calories (well, for me since I drink it black). Tea is available, but I rarely drink hot tea (don't much enjoy it), and iced tea in the morning doesn't appeal.

Yup, that is identical (IN form) to the Melita Single Cup #2 cone filter holder I mentioned up-thread.  I had one.

I still do coffee cup at a time but these days I use a Proctor Silex one-cup brewer, it too uses #2 cone (or Senseo Pods)  and I'm now using fresh ground coffee.

I have two coffee grinders, One is a old Braun with a bad switch so it runs whenever it's plugged in,, I bought a Mr. Coffee to replace it and will now review them both

They are both knife mills (Spinning blade chops the beans to powder)

On the Braun you put the beans in the grinding cup which is attached to the power unit and put the lid (Plastic) on and press the button till it's properly ground, You time it yourself.  Shake it a bit to get a more uniform grind..

Then turn it upside down, wack it a couple times with your hand to knock the ground coffee into the lid, lift the power unit off the lid and pour the ground coffee into the filter.

With the MR COFFEE, the grinding chamber can be removed, which makes it easier to clean..

With the grinding chamber in place you select the number of cups and the grind using front panel buttons, You then put the beans in and apply lid, press and hold the button and shake it a bit as it grinds, a Timer shuts it off when it thinks the beans are properly ground.

The grind is the worst grind of any coffee grinder I have ever used, I need to run it at least two cycles to get a decent grind.  And the think works when it feels like it, I often have to unplug and re-plug it to get it to work at all.

l highly recommend the Braun. (Which thankfully I've not yet thrown out).

And as for the Soda recommendation: NO, it's easier to heat them up on a campsite.  and I dont need all the stuff they put in a soda bottle,  Way too much acid, sugar or artifical sweetner, and other chemicals.. Coffee, though also full of chemicals, is all natural.. ... In another forum someone posted most of a joke; I like my coffee like my women.....

I usually order coffee "Straight".

(And by the way that is how I like my Women.. .Straight)

We have never had a issue with the water not being hot enough, we live at a mile high and camp at close to two miles up.

Miss M

One of my espresso makers is a pot like what you have pictured, the other has no upper chamber, just a curved tube that delivers the brew to a cup. Neither are fast but the espresso taste as good as any shop I've been in.

This is the French Press I use, its cheap price and excellent coffee,
http://www.amazon.com/Primula-Tempo-Coffee-Press-Cup/dp/B006C9TPKO

If you have never used one it is simple, on mine ( makes 2 16oz cups at a time) I use 4 level tbs of coffee which you put in the glass beaker . Heat the water till my tea pot whistles, pour the water into the beaker. Stir occaisionally for 4 minutes. Install the strainer into the beaker and pour your fresh brewed coffee out. Simple. Mike McCarthy

Nothing quite gets the juices flowing like coffee. So many ways to make it both to brew and to drink. Being an avid coffee drinker out on the road forces you to become a coffee brewer. A while back I looked into a bunch of different types of coffee makers and making techniques. You can see it here:

http://www.thewanderman.com/2012/12/coffee-how-to-make-best-cup-while.html

I'm always on the lookout for more methods. As of now, I can make coffee on shore power, solar power, propane and with any boiling water.

Should cover all the bases!

Rich "The Wanderman"

I build a fire, put a grill on it. Put a pot on it with water in it and some coffee grounds, (Folgers, max house, generic) when it boils, take it off the fire, drop a spoon or two of cold water in it to drop the grounds to the bottom. Pour it in a cup and yum yum coffee is HOT but good to the last drop with an occasional ground to chew.

In the '70s Mad Magazine had a cartoon showing the 'last drop'.
He was a dark, hairy little guy with a fiendish grin. 

Update....

Well we just got back from our 1st. Dry Camping Christmas at Doheny beach, and for the most part it all went well.

I spent the mornings drinking instant coffee, and everyone knows that there is no great instant coffee.

I did make a pot of coffee late in the evenings and put it in a Thermos but it was not really hot by the morning.

It looks like I will be looking into a French Press before my next Dry Camp episode.

But,  that generator quiet time of 8pm to 10am hurts, ...My batteries got really drained every night with the whole family watching TV listening to music and using the lights.

Makes me wonder if there is a RV feasible wind generator system out there, That ocean breeze is just free energy every night.

There are smaller wind generators that unlike solar will work at night. I've never heard one but from what I understand they do generate noise. We use solar panels to stay charged up if you are in a sunny location, the other side is conservation. We have all LED lighting, low power TVs and our travel computer is a netbook that uses very little. We never ran our generator for charging last year.

You need a better thermous, I used to have a Stanley Stainless where IF I filled it at 8am, the coffee was down to low end of drinkable by 7:59 (24 hours later)  Alas, I lost it and the replacement was not that good.

I would still go with either the Melieta single cup or the old fashion percolater  Wal-mart had stainless perks in the camping section last time I looked.

I have to laugh at the length and depth of this discussion (at myself too, because I'm also an RVing coffee-holic). It's just funny to see how many posts and opinions there are about the importance of our coffee. If my transmission, ECM, engine, air conditioners etc. were failing, there's no doubt that I'd get some excellent advice on how to fix them, but mention our morning coffee and WHOA - Katie bar the doors!  :) .

Kev

Some really good ideas in here.  I like french press coffee the most, but always felt it cooled off too much while it brewed and I don't like the flavor change from re-heating coffee.  I was thinking, "y'know, they oughtta make an insulated french press."  Then it occurred to me maybe such a beast exists, so I checked.  Sure 'nuff, it's easily found online.

Back
Top Bottom