Engine horse power upgrade odometer problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wristpin

I had an engine horsepower upgrade from 275 to 300 on my cummins ISB 5.9L and now my odometer reads zero, The cummins tech that did it says theres nothing he can do, Anyone have this problem before?? Any suggestions on how we might fix my problem??

Does he work for an Authorized Cummins shop? I would be calling his supervisor first and then the factory if he does.

They are supposed to read the millage before modification and program it back in after. They screwed up. Big time. It is on them to fix it.

Assuming they did an oil change, ask them to re-set it to the last recorded millage (oil change likely will do it).

Thanks guys,
I emailed freightliner and their response was:

Complaint: We have had complaints from the field with RV product line, equiped with           
Kysor/Medallion gauges, experiencing the odometer going to zero when the engine ECM is         
re-flashed.

Solution: At the time of a repair (or after a repair if proper documentation), any dealer with 
authorized Cummins Insite software can set the odometer to the correct mileage.

1. Hook up to Cummins Insite through laptop.                                                   
2. Go to Features & Parameters II tab.                                                         
3. Select Trip Offset, enter correct hours and mileage (must have written this down from ECM   
before re-flash).                                                                             
4. Click OK and follow normal process to save settings.                                       

In some cases the ECM will NOT allow any upgrades to the Trip Offest function internal to the ECM. Unfortunately, Cummins cannot advise what software will allow the Trip Offset to be altered. Hope this helps.

The tech tried to do exactly what freightliner said but it didn't work.
So be advised if your MH has Kysor/Medallion gauges and a cummins engine this could happen to you :(

This is a shot in the dark, but it's worth a try.  Put a call into "Mike" the instructor of the Camp Freightliner school in Gaffney SC.  Mike is amazingly knowledgeable regarding all things RV related on the Freightliner Chassis.  I took his class when I had my 06' Meridian 32T a few years back, and I recall he had extensive knowledge regarding the gauge clusters on all of the Frieghtliners. 

Resetting the odometer is a violation of federal law, so he committed a major sin. But it is also illegal to just plug in some new numbers. I think there is a legal procedure to follow and it may be that only the factory can do it.

I'm guessing it is a Freightliner chassis, so call Freightliner Custom Chassis Customer Service and see if they know what can be done.
1-800-FTL-HELP (1-800-385-4357)

And make a formal complaint to the management at the shop that did it - there may be considerable expense involved.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Resetting the odometer is a violation of federal law

Committing fraud is against the law. There are various reasons that an odometer would need to be reset, and this is just one.  The DMV has a procedure to follow if it needs to be reset, including filling out an affidavit stating the reasons.  Then the vehicle title would be changed to reflect that the mileage shown on the odometer is not factual.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom