First time 5th wheel buyer Jayco or Grand Design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Punkpeach

:)Looking for advice on 5th wheel manufacterrs. I think I have it narrowed down to 2. Jayco Eagle priemer or Pinniacle or the Solitude by Grand Design. Any thoughts?  Something else I might consider?  Looking at spending no more than $60,000.00. I know that Pinnacles are above this but have found a few in this price range on sale or clearance they are new but last years model. Any other models to consider?  Leaning towards not buying anything manufactured by Keystone. Have 2 friends in 2 different states that have had nightmares with their new Keystone Alpines. Both water issues and structure issues. Any help would be appreciated. Oh just wanted you to know I am not a full timer and I live in Michigan. So unit will be winterized for about 5 months a year. Thank you in advance.

Forest River offers Cedar Creek and Cardinal which are nice.  Also look at Arctic Fox by Northwood for a nicely built trailer

I will look at the other brands you suggested. I cannot find any artic fox dealers in Michigan.

Just for gifgles look at the Northwood Mfg web site or ThunderRV in LaGrande,Or, which is the closest dealer to the factory, and offers decent pricing.  Because Northwood is a family owned company you get a lot for your money. 
BTW, we have had our Cedar Creek for 10 years and have never had a warranty issue.  Ordered a few last spring from the factory and had them in my hands less than a week later.  CedarCreek has probably some of the best customer service in the business.

I've had my Solitude for over two years now, couldn't be happier.  This my 3rd 5th wheel, and by far the best. Check out the Grand Design owners forum and also on Facebook there is an owners group. I don't think you could do better than any Grand Design unit.

I don't thing you can go wrong with either one of those. You may be able to use one against the other as a bargaining tool and save a bit of money.

I'm looking at new TTs, not 5ers... but these 2 makers and Winnebago are at the top of my short list along with about 3 others that are trailing a bit. It's hard to discount all the good stuff other Grand Design owners are saying about the excellent quality of their trailers.

Good luck with your decision... and safe travels!

Big fan of Northwood.. 

If this is your first, a rig that is a couple years old will have all the bugs out of it and will allow you time to decide what you want in a rig..and less of a financial risk..

A bunch of years back, my neighbour bought a new class a...after their first trip, a for sale sign went on the windshield before the engine was turned off...don't think they spoke to each other for weeks :)

By the time we went looking fora 5th, we had a long list of what we didn't want :)

Good luck..

I've heard nothing but rave reviews of the grand designs. Good luck with your decision

Grassy. Looking new. Not my first rig. Just my first 5th wheel. Have owned 2 travel trailers in the past. I currently have 2013 33ft rockwood windjammer.  Pull it with a 2500 2013 suburban. Moving to A 3500 diesel pickup. Just trying to pick the trailer before ordering the truck. So I get a proper setup.

Punkpeach,

Makes sense.  The AF is our first 5th...trying to decide if it will make a good ling timer..

Grassy

Just my 2cent worth, Over the years I have owned two Jayco trailers and kept each for about 12 years before trading. I have never had a problem with my Jayco trailers. I have towed both trailers all over the states and the second trailer we towed to Alaska from Maryland. Great trip no issues. I can not speak for Grand Design. I hear they are good but question why they do not put a bumper on the Reflection fifth wheel trailers.. I do not have a good feeling having my large investment not protected by a bumper. Best of luck with your decision. I also like the never adjust brakes on the Jaycos. I am not sure they are offered on the trailers.  Never adjust brakes sound good to me. 

We have had a 2015 Grand Design Solitude for almost a year and absolutely love it. If you have a problem and call the service center you will actually speak to a real person who knows what they are talking about. If you do need to leave a message, they call back promptly and offer suggestions to resolve your problem. Some dealers will only offer warranty work on the campers they have actually sold, not so with Grand Design. We bought ours at the Hershey PA RV show and had a few minor repairs needed. We were directed to several qualified repair centers in Virginia, any concerns or questions were handled promptly by the manager/owner at Grand Design. Go to their owners forum for more reviews. You won't be disappointed by the quality of this company.

I have a 37' Grand Design Reflection fifth wheel with 4 sliders.  I'm thoroughly pleased with the fit and finish in the 10 months of ownership. 

The company is one of the most customer oriented companies I've ever experienced.  If you have problems and mention them on their owner website, it's not uncommon for the owners to answer you and give you their personal email address and personal cell phone number.  When is the last time you've seen Warren Buffet give out his phone number (Forest River?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom