flat towing 2012 VW GTI manual transmission

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

landtrv

Just replaced my wife's PT Cruiser with a 2012 VW GTI with a 6 speed manual transmission. Question can I flat tow this car and has anybody done the set up to the car to flat tow

Remco has not, as yet, determined the towability of the 6 speed. What does the owner's manual say?

Manual does not say much.  VW give s me a run around.  Dealer ssays fine.  Anybody out there flat towing a GTI Manual tranmission

If it's of any use, we have towed our 6 speed manual Honda without issue for a year. Slip it in neutral, unlock the steering wheel, accessories all off - no issues.

While I am sure there would be an exception or two, it's hard to imagine a reason why a manual transmission could not be flat towed. (And the odometer does not register on the computerized systems - somebody always asks that -  ;) )

I just bought my first RV, and I'm looking at what and how to tow. I really like performance-oriented cars, so I was thinking about getting a manual VW GTI or Golf. However, most* are 6 speed, and Remco says only VW 5 speed manuals are towable. No reason listed. I just emailed them to get more info, and when I do I'll post it here.

I am curious if anyone out there is towing a 2010-2015 Golf or GTI, manual or automatic, and how they are towing it. I've seen this question come up a lot in forums, but I've never seen anyone respond to say they are towing one. So I'm bringing it up again....

Thanks,
Carey

*There is a 5 speed Golf TSI, completely bare bones, but I understand if you want any upgrades to it, you can only get those with 6 speeds. I'd prefer a GTI anyway, but that is a possibility if anyone else is interested in towing a late model VW hatchback.

Back
Top Bottom