Flat towing tall Jeep w Blue Ox

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChinMusic

I’m new to the RV world. Just had a Blue Ox system installed on my Jeep Rubicon, 2.5 lift and 35s.

My Jeep attachment point is 13” taller than the receiver on the RV. The tallest adapter I can find is a 10” rise getting me within 3” of flat. As I read it Blue Ox says flat is best but 4” is max.

I have an Rvi3 braking system but am still concerned with that Jeep being 3” taller than the adapter. Any chance the Jeep could jump up in hard braking or would the Rvi3 take care of that?

Would you get the 10” rise adapter and call it a day or do I need to have a steel shop fabricate a 13”?

What I’m looking at: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ox-BX88...mzn1.fos.17d9e15d-4e43-4581-b373-0e5c1a776d5d

Last edited:
You'd be within Blue Ox specs at the 3"

However, if you did have something fabricated, you probably want an angle brace to insure that the upright cannot bend forward from regularly being pushed forward while slowing/stopping. That extra 3" on the vertical would add a lot of pressure to the upright.

I'm wondering if combining these two products together might do the trick.

My concern would be adding in forces the engineers didn’t take into account. I’m not qualified.

I called a fabricator and the basically told me “you engineer it and we will make it”. I’m not an engineer.

BULLETPROOF HITCHES 2" ADJUSTABLE TRAILER HITCHES (CLASS 4)

They have all kinds of adapters also.

BULLETPROOF 2" RECEIVER ATTACHMENT

Bullet proof makes a great system. All kinds of adapters and such, They ARE strong. You could just as easily install the drop hitch on the jeep when at your destination if needed for moving or towing. Or use on other vehicles such as a pickup at home. Extremely versatile. My travel buddy uses a Bulletproof drop with a weight distribution adapter to pull his trailer with no issues, and has a flip over ball adapter for other stuff such as hauling a short dump trailer he has borrowed from someone at work.

They are Expensive however.

Charles

Last edited:
Not knowing your RV... (please add the year, make model to your signature as that will get better answers for future questions.)

Were you at ride height when you measured the difference?

My concern would be adding in forces the engineers didn’t take into account. I’m not qualified.

I called a fabricator and the basically told me “you engineer it and we will make it”. I’m not an engineer.
You would be moving only the Curt adapter to a taller (13") and higher rated capacity Equal-i-zer rise. It's not uncommon to use different manufacturer's receiver, ball mount, and ball etc.

Here's an 11" rise adapter.

Screenshot_20231116_121942_Chrome.jpg

I’m new to the RV world. Just had a Blue Ox system installed on my Jeep Rubicon, 2.5 lift and 35s.

My Jeep attachment point is 13” taller than the receiver on the RV. The tallest adapter I can find is a 10” rise getting me within 3” of flat. As I read it Blue Ox says flat is best but 4” is max.

I have an Rvi3 braking system but am still concerned with that Jeep being 3” taller than the adapter. Any chance the Jeep could jump up in hard braking or would the Rvi3 take care of that?

Would you get the 10” rise adapter and call it a day or do I need to have a steel shop fabricate a 13”?

What I’m looking at: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ox-BX88132-Drop-Receiver/dp/B002UC8LGG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=WC39YOAI3CMM&keywords=blue+ox+bx88132&qid=1700155155&sprefix=blue+ox+bx88132,aps,311&sr=8-1&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.17d9e15d-4e43-4581-b373-0e5c1a776d5d

Not knowing your RV... (please add the year, make model to your signature as that will get better answers for future questions.)

Were you at ride height when you measured the difference?
My Blue Ox installer did the measurement. I think I changed my sig

Gen-Y hitches makes drop hitches in a number of drop/rise ranges up to 22 inches, they offer at least one 12.5 inch model. Here is a link to one of their 16,000 pound rated models (they also sell a 10,000 pound model, but it is only $10 cheaper)

Last edited by a moderator:

What I’m looking at: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ox-BX88132-Drop-Receiver/dp/B002UC8LGG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=WC39YOAI3CMM&keywords=blue+ox+bx88132&qid=1700155155&sprefix=blue+ox+bx88132,aps,311&sr=8-1&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.17d9e15d-4e43-4581-b373-0e5c1a776d5d

I have to look but I might have a 13" riser/drop lying around here somewhere.
NOTE that kind of a rise however SERIOUSLY reduces the tow rating of the hitch.. There are other ways to go it that do not so greatly affect the rating of the hitch.. I mean like a 10,000 pound receiver with a 13" riser I'd rate it at around 1,000 so you have a problem there.

My Blue Ox installer did the measurement. I think I changed my sig
Yes, I understand someone installed it for you. I've learned to trust few mechanics.

You might want to start your MH and get it to ride height and then do the measurement yourself. It'd be great if you found out the MH came up a few inches, wouldn't it?

IF the installer did not start the MH and get to ride height you could save yourself some headaches if you found it comes up a couple of more inches... Just sayin' At the least, you know you'll buy the correct riser.

And @ChinMusic your signature is good - nice to have you aboard the forum!

I have to look but I might have a 13" riser/drop lying around here somewhere.
NOTE that kind of a rise however SERIOUSLY reduces the tow rating of the hitch.. There are other ways to go it that do not so greatly affect the rating of the hitch.. I mean like a 10,000 pound receiver with a 13" riser I'd rate it at around 1,000 so you have a problem there.
What would you do in my situation?

Another manufacturer...

"Long drop hitches (12″ or more) will put additional leverage on the vehicle receiver. Therefore, in some cases, receiver hitch manufacturers will reduce ratings by as much as 50%."

Looks like we have a forum bug, I have tried to fix it 3 times, and each time the forum adds about number of junk characters to the end of the link that I post, maybe try cut and paste if you want to see it.

Looks like we have a forum bug, I have tried to fix it 3 times, and each time the forum adds about number of junk characters to the end of the link that I post, maybe try cut and paste if you want to see it.
My edit of your link in your message worked just fine.

Re-posting the link here:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom