Floyd Bennett Field/NYC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jagnweiner

I'm busily planning a trip east this summer. We will be coming from IL and the primary destination will be Maine.  On the way back, we will be stopping for a couple days in Newport.  However, the kids also would like to see NYC.  My original plan was to stay somewhere up the Hudson Valley (the West Point military campground if any sites are available) and take a train in.  Just this morning I saw that the NPS has a campground at Floyd Bennett Airfield on the southern tip of Brooklyn.  It appears to be pretty much dry camping on the tarmac.

Has anyone ever stayed there?  More importantly, what are your thoughts on driving there in a 37' Class A with toad?

Any other recommendations?

It mostly depends on where you are coming from.  NYC does not allow commercial
vehicles on Parkways, I don't know if the Rv would be considered commercial. NY parkways also ban towing, don't know if that would include the toad. The easiest access is via the Belt Parkway. If your allowed on it you must stay in the center lane, the overpasses are arched and quite low on the sides.  I did travel the Belt Pkwy with a large bus and had no problem with height. The local road to FBF is Flatbush Ave., it goes the entire length of Brooklyn, could take a couple of hours.  NYC has a 311 information service, the full phone number is 212-639-9675, you can inquire about using parkways.  If you do decide to drive to NYC, be aware all tolls would be doubled due to the toad, northward of $32 at every toll. (The RV may be $16 per axle plus the toad)  Having said all that, I would recommend staying in Hudson Valley and using public transit.  Manhattan has excellent subways, and I would think most "attractions" would be in Manhattan. 

Another option is to stay at the Marina RV Park across the River in New Jersey.  Years ago I stayed there for a few months while working in NYC and it was very convienent to catch the PATH train under the river to Manhatten.

The Marina RV park stores boats in the winter and then uses the spaces for RV after the boats are put in the water.

There is a tall tower for security in the middle of the park and fences all around the park.

It was also a bit expensive at about $100 a night long ago.

You can also see the Statue of Liberty from there.

Thanks, Bill. I had looked at that as well. I think if I do actually stay close to the city, that is what we'll do. Starting to lean back toward staying somewhere north of the city, though.

Check out Croton Point Park, north of NYC. It's a Westchester County campground right on the Hudson River, absolutely gorgeous. The train station is right there for easy access into the city.

You couldn't pay me to drive a motorhome to Long Island, but if your heart set on it, you could take the ferry from Groton, Connecticut after leaving Newport. And speaking of Newport, our favorite campground is Fisherman's Memorial in Narragansett. You could probably get a site during the week, but weekends are most likely full already.

HappyWanderer said:
Check out Croton Point Park, north of NYC. It's a Westchester County campground right on the Hudson River, absolutely gorgeous. The train station is right there for easy access into the city.

You couldn't pay me to drive a motorhome to Long Island, but if your heart set on it, you could take the ferry from Groton, Connecticut after leaving Newport. And speaking of Newport, our favorite campground is Fisherman's Memorial in Narragansett. You could probably get a site during the week, but weekends are most likely full already.

Thanks for that advice.  I will check those out.  Our plan for Newport right now is to stay at the Naval Station campground on the island.  It's not much to look at, but it's cheap and right on the water.

BTW, I DEFINITELY don't have my heart set on driving a MH on Long Island.

Gary RV Roamer said:
No RVs on the NY Parkways, whether motorhome or towable. Passenger vehicles only, and no "trailer" of any kind, including a toad.

Good to know.  BTW, Gary, are you going to be in Maine next summer?  If so, it would be nice to meet the legend in person.

Wow, memories !

I can't help you, but I did some time at Floyd Bennett Field way back in the 50's when I was in the Navy air.
We had the old Corsairs

Jack L

Yes, getting on or off LI is always an adventure. I live on LI and it would be a real PIA getting from my home to Floyd. Most bridges over the Belt and Southern State are only 8.5 in height. Thus the ban on RV and commercials. The only two acceptable E/W routes are LIE (495) and Sunrise Hgwy. (27) which does not go passed the Nassau cty. Queens boarder leaving you to go up to the 495 anyway. The Gothels bridge from Jersey to Staten Island is also a mess. Honestly I would leave the rig in Jersey and use the toad or the rails.
Regards
Capt.

Wow!

Floyd Bennett Field, my first ATC supervisor worked traffic there. Tom Thorton Chief. Idelwild AKA JFK next door. Tommy would tell stories when he worked mids. He called it  Homocide. The cars would drive in and deposit bodies in the marsh. Ancient mob burial grounds.

Roxbury across Jamaica Bay, as a kid I would watch the jets takeoff and land at FBF. Brought back memories.

You do not want to camp there!

Look at Liberty Park in Newark NJ. West Point is another option.

Another option is $$$$ take the New London Orient Point Ferry to LI. Stay at Wildwood State Park. Only St Park that does not allow animals. Drive to the Ronkonkoma train station and 1 1/2 hours you are in downtown Manhattan. Penn Station. 1 hour drive to Ronkonkoma.

As you see there is a lot of work to get there.  When you drive off LI you have one toll. Througs Neck Bridge EZ PASS $13.00 GWB toll only eastbound westbound n/c

Think of it like driving into Chicago.

Here is an optional way off Long Island.

This is the ferry on the far east end of LI to eastern Connecut.  They can take any size up to a tractor trailer.  They charge by the foot.

Attachments

• 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 16
Nice!  I think by this point, though, we've abandoned the idea of driving the coach through Long Island, Brooklyn, etc.  Our current plan is to try Croton Point SP, a little ways up the Hudson, and take the train in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom