Francis Scott Key bridge, Baltimore, MD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yet another example of media conjecture based on some pseudo-expert babble. Nobody can know until the divers and crane experts get on the scene and investigate what they will have to do. And state and coast guard officials evaluate how ship traffic can be safely routed through or around the area both now and in the longer term while reconstruction takes place. It seems doubtful it could be any less than a month, but at this point any estimate has to be open-ended.
There’s no route around the area, it’s a ship channel. All that has to be cleared for ship traffic to resume is what is in the 50’ deep channel, which will be the first order of business.

There’s no route around the area, it’s a ship channel. All that has to be cleared for ship traffic to resume is what is in the 50’ deep channel, which will be the first order of business.
One word: Chunnel. No more bridge stanchions to collide with and unfettered ship access and traffic. Make that sucker 8 lanes wide so no traffic jams. And it's another government boondoggle to plow a bazillion dollars into. It's perfect! :ROFLMAO:

You are no doubt right, but my point was simply that the specific rules are individual to each harbor. That "sea buoy", for example, is placed where it is because the harbor authorities have determined that's where they will require a pilot to take over.

In this case it is academic because we already know from official sources that the pilot was onboard. But the pilots knowledge of local waterways and rules doesn't help much when the ship is physically out of control and unsteerable.
The sea buoy is there because it marks the beginning of the channel entrance to the harbor ( usually at a cut through the bar) not because the harbor master or port authority think that would be a good place for a buoy and it’s the inbound point where the State ( not the local harbor authorities) and the Coast Guard require a licensed pilot to be on board all ships which are underway, regardless of registry.

Maybe a couple of years.
I am thinking months if not sooner to get the channel so ships can pass. Fully open after that. Rebuilding the bridge.. Well let's just say by the time the bridge is replaced Biden won't be president any more no matter what happens this fall (This simply means years. likely 5-10 of them)
There is a bridge Much smaller. being built between Detroit and Windsor. it's been years in construction and they have another year or two to go.. This one is bigger and likely will take longer to build.

I thought people could come here for info, not snotty. I was just asking... Sheeesh
Nevertheless, instead of listing all the alternate routes into Baltimore, wouldn’t it be easier to google “map of Baltimore” and pick one, there are many?

One word: Chunnel. No more bridge stanchions to collide with and unfettered ship access and traffic. Make that sucker 8 lanes wide so no traffic jams. And it's another government boondoggle to plow a bazillion dollars into. It's perfect! :ROFLMAO:
The problem with that is hazmat loads can’t use tunnels, that bridge was used by hazmat transports to get into Baltimore. My secret for getting through Mobile on I10 in the summer is to take the hazmat route over the bridge to avoid the Charlie Foxtrot at the tunnel under the Mobile Ship Channel.

Nevertheless, instead of listing all the alternate routes into Baltimore, wouldn’t it be easier to google “map of Baltimore” and pick one, there are many?
A simple yes or no about whether there are alternate routes for the hazmat rigs that can't use the tunnels to get to and from the port would have been even easier. I didn't ask what the route would be.

I'm aware of that. My question is is the Key bridge the only way to and from the port for those rigs? Or are their alternate routes they can take? I 'm just trying to sort through the BS all over the media.
Trucks can get in and out of the port areas by surface streets, but since no ship can get into and out of the port, there will be no loads at the ports for a while. Once whatever is there now is gone. everybody will be waiting for the harbor to be opened up.
And getting around Baltimore is a a long way on 695, or over to Annapolis and up 301.

I am thinking months if not sooner to get the channel so ships can pass. Fully open after that. Rebuilding the bridge.. Well let's just say by the time the bridge is replaced Biden won't be president any more no matter what happens this fall (This simply means years. likely 5-10 of them)
There is a bridge Much smaller. being built between Detroit and Windsor. it's been years in construction and they have another year or two to go.. This one is bigger and likely will take longer to build.
I misunderstood, thought you were referring to the bridge reconstruction.

Trucks can get in and out of the port areas by surface streets, but since no ship can get into and out of the port, there will be no loads at the ports for a while. Once whatever is there now is gone. everybody will be waiting for the harbor to be opened up.
And getting around Baltimore is a a long way on 695, or over to Annapolis and up 301.
Thank you. I have heard a few blowhards in the media saying that there would be no way for hazmat trucks to access the port because the bridge was the only way for them to go. That didn't sound plausible to me, (how would they have accessed the port before the bridge was built) and I was just trying to sort through the BS.

I am not very familiar with Baltimore. I know the port is closed until they can clear the channel, but is the Key bridge the only way for vehicles to and from the port? I keep hearing that trucks can't go any other way in/out of the port because many of them can't use the tunnels. Just trying to sort out the BS.
Yes there are other routes; The main seaport is between the North 895 bridge and the South 695(Key) bridge.
The main concern is clearing the shipping channel and dredging it deeper before beginning new bridge construction. The present situation prevents unloading ships at Baltimore. The ships are now redirected to Norfolk and other major ports of entry. This increases shipping costs, both by ship and truck. This will significantly increase truck traffic in those cities.
The bridge traffic most affected is automobile traffic.
ref: Baltimore · Maryland

Last edited:
Yes there are other routes; The main seaport is between the North 895 bridge and the South 695(Key) bridge.
The main concern is clearing the shipping channel and dredging it deeper before beginning new bridge construction. The present situation prevents unloading ships at Baltimore. The ships are now redirected to Norfolk and other major ports of entry. This increases shipping costs, both by ship and truck. This will significantly increase truck traffic in those cities.
The bridge traffic most affected is automobile traffic.
ref: Baltimore · Maryland
New bridge construction is a ways off, the channel should be cleared in a few weeks dredging would have no impact on bridge construction. If they started a new bridge tomorrow it would be years before either side reaches the ship channel. If they build a suspension bridge the towers would be well outside the ship channel anyway.

Took a while to find this.
High Pressure Gas Pipeline Halts Salvage of MV Dali

Yesterday, the Maryland Port Authority held a meeting at the unified incident command center located at the Maryland Cruise Terminal in Baltimore. The Army Corps of Engineers and the US Coast Guard outlined their priorities: firstly, to open the shipping channel; secondly, to secure and remove the MV Dali; and thirdly, to initiate salvage operations “from the inside out”.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sue2La
Back
Top Bottom