Frig on or Off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin_Texas

When storing your motorhome should you leave the Refrigerator turned on. I have always been told that you should leave your home Refrigerator on at all times. Was wondering if a motorhome is different.

We turn ours off and prop the doors partially open.

What Tom said is correct.  If it has been in use for a while and has ice/frost inside make sure the pan under the fins in the refrigerator part is all the way back so it will drain overboard.  For frost in the freezer put a towle or the like in there to catch that water.  When it is dried out just prop the door open a little so that it gets air.  Our Dometic refrigerator came with little plactic latches to prop the door open with and our last one had a door latch that turned over to hold the door open a little.  If you are going to move the trailer with the frige off be sure to close and latch the door and open it again when it's back in storage.

The last RV refrigerator I had was on continuously for 12 years except for the occasional defrost and is still going strong as far as I know. (It is 17+ years old now.) Many tech's have said that the lifespan is similar whether or not you shut it down or keep it running. I have no scientific test results to back that up. 

Here is a link to all you ever needed to know about absorption refrigerators.

http://www.rvdoctor.com/2001/02/rv-absorption-refrigeration-cooling.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom