Frustrated Tesla drivers left out in the cold...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
like plugging in the car and following the directions on screen.
Sometimes. And sometimes on some EVs, the instructions do not work.

For an example, many chargers say "plug in first". There are vehicles where on some chargers where that guarantees it will NOT work. Sometimes need to activate online and then plug in. This was a very common issue with my 2020 Energica Esse Esse 9 motorcycle when using the EA chargers at Wally*Marts. To get a successful charge, the first step was to ignore the instructions on the charger.

However, with the countless FW updates in the vehicles and chargers, this is less of a problem these days. But sometimes even these updates cause problems with some vehicles and what used to work no longer does. This happened with an update at ChargePoint CCS about a year ago. But Chargepoint had a new OTA update to their chargers to fix it after countless complaints to them suddenly not working on many brands/models of EVs.

However, I never heard of any of these issues with Tesla using a Tesla Supercharger. Just plug in and charging starts every time.

The problem with CCS charging is the charger has to be compatible with every type of EV made, which is not so easily done. Compatibility problems are not that rare. Has it happened to you. . . yet?

Since Tesla Superchargers only need to work with Tesla, this problem is solved. But when they open up to other makes, I wonder how well that will work with the other brands. I expect there will be issues for a while.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Not throwing a dart at Don but I get the same impression. I can follow most all the explanations but TBH my eyes roll back in my head after about 2 paragraphs and I get TLDR disease - probably because I don't have nor plan to have an EV any time soon.

However - this is the kind of stuff that alarms me. If I go to a gas station the price is in big neon numbers on a sign out front. It's very hard to go to the gas station across the street and pay double for gas without being aware.

Of course the EV counter to my comment is to learn about the pitfalls, be aware and make good choices - But that's the whole thing. I don't want to have to be sherlock holmes in order to drive a car from point A to point B and not pay double for energy.

At some point - like computers - there will be enough standardization that little ol' ladies like me might even own a computer to eMail the grandkids....
I think you pretty much summed it up. For most, for now, even if you can’t do math the pita calculus will override the saving the planet calculus. I.e., if you’re forced into gaslighting an issue it’s likely because the issue won’t withstand objective scrutiny. The average Joe living in an apartment somewhere with a limited budget isn’t going to gamble what he has, all other things being equal, on a car that should come with a bus pass for those days when it’s cold outside.

EV charging stations of the future will display/advertise their prices in a similar way?
I will assume so. It takes time to sort out these issues.

Remember when gas stations did NOT have to mention the octane ratings? Now it is law everywhere in the USA.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I think you pretty much summed it up. For most, for now, even if you can’t do math the pita calculus will override the saving the planet calculus. I.e., if you’re forced into gaslighting an issue it’s likely because the issue won’t withstand objective scrutiny. The average Joe living in an apartment somewhere with a limited budget isn’t going to gamble what he has, all other things being equal, on a car that should come with a bus pass for those days when it’s cold outside.

Why do people think these cars are designed and marketed to the average Joe? They're not, and the first indicator is price, and it all has to do with an emerging market in its infancy. Development costs are huge and automakers are going to lose money at first, and they need to sell cars with high price tags to spread out those costs more effectively.

Average Joe is looking for a 10-20 year old used pickup or SUV on Craigslist for $10k or less, so why do we expect the EV market to pander to that demographic?

Why do people think these cars are designed and marketed to the average Joe? They're not, and the first indicator is price, and it all has to do with an emerging market in its infancy. Development costs are huge and automakers are going to lose money at first, and they need to sell cars with high price tags to spread out those costs more effectively.

Average Joe is looking for a 10-20 year old used pickup or SUV on Craigslist for $10k or less, so why do we expect the EV market to pander to that demographic?
Average means half are above and half below. The average person in this country ie., the middle class, isn’t looking for a 10-20 year old used pickup truck on Craigslist nor are they looking to spend 1/3rd more for a pita that rides like a chuck wagon because they’re interested in helping poor manufacturers make a profit.
And I’m no Warren Buffet but I’m pretty sure economics 101 would differ on the theory that marketing to the average consumer is a bad plan.

Last edited:
Gaslighting 101 teaches, "avoid using a Tesla Newsletter " Electrek" to make the case for an owning a Tesla".
Maybe. But real world says that EV adoption rate is higher the further you go north. EV’s work fine in minus 25 where we live in BC.

And we are still active with EV groups in our former Alberta home area. No one is having issues, except for having to boost gas vehicles that don’t start when it gets cold.

Even here in BC everytime we get a cold snap it’s the EV’s helping people out, boosting gassers with booster packs, getting people to appointments on time etc.

I would much rather drive an EV in a cold winter than a gasser. Much more convenient and reliable.

Last edited:
Average means half are above and half below. The average person in this country ie., the middle class, isn’t looking for a 10-20 year old used pickup truck on Craigslist nor are they looking to spend 1/3rd more for a pita that rides like a chuck wagon because they’re interested in helping poor manufacturers make a profit.
And I’m no Warren Buffet but I’m pretty sure economics 101 would differ on the theory that marketing to the average consumer is a bad plan.

I am a stat nerd so I can't let this pass. "Median" means 1/2 the sample (people) make more than that. "average" means all the samples (people) divided by all the money.

Income in the US is skewed - meaning relatively fewer people make much larger incomes. The text below indicates that few people make $250k+ salaries and lots of people make $50k salaries.

These data are not updated a lot - probably due a new chart based on recent census but below is one based on 2016 data to illustrate. Note the giant spike after $200k+ that means like 9,000,000 households are "dragging" the average to the right.

1708185489786.png

1708185637596.png

Last edited:
Maybe. But real world says that EV adoption rate is higher the further you go north. EV’s work fine in minus 25 where we live in BC.

And we are still active with EV groups in our former Alberta home area. No one is having issues, except for having to boost gas vehicles that don’t start when it gets cold.

Even here in BC everything we get a cold snap it’s the EV’s helping people out, boosting gassers with booster packs, getting people to appointments on time etc.

I would much rather drive an EV in a cold winter than a gasser. Much more convenient and reliable.
Well that’s a sample of one anyway.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom