Frustrated Tesla drivers left out in the cold...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uchu

It's a real issue. Batteries don't like extreme temperatures, as these Tesla owners in the Chicago area just found out...

This story came up in another thread. Right now, if you don't have a way to charge at home, and/or you wait until a major weather event to fill up your car, you might be left out in the cold.

Not that it can't be done, plenty of people who live in extremely cold climates don't have problems operating or charging their EV's. This is kind of like when there's a mile long line at a gas station before a hurricane and the gas truck can't get there to fill up, sort of thing.

A couple of people had to get towed during a major storm. And this is what we're deciding to talk about in the news today.

Dang,,,Its cold, however the MGB started and ran just fine. Heater worked well all the way to breakfast. Of course it has only one old lead battery and the only electronics played music. My girl did mark her parking spot with a few drops of oil.
Cheers Y,all

Dang,,,Its cold, however the MGB started and ran just fine. Heater worked well all the way to breakfast. Of course it has only one old lead battery and the only electronics played music. My girl did mark her parking spot with a few drops of oil.
Cheers Y,all

I call BS - LOL... I own 2 MGBs. Heater and working well don't fit in the same sentence...

Meanwhile up in Canada we are charging our teslas in minus 41 with no problem. 😂 Of course some of us read the manual and know to actually pre-condition the battery.

Not pre-conditioning the battery will take a 20 minute charge and turn it into an all day event. 😂. We do see it happen here too but generally speaking the word is out on this up here. Basically, read the manual.

We charged at a supercharger at minus 27 the other day. In and out in 20 minutes.

The reporter actually mentions it at the end of the report.

IMG_8020.jpeg

I cannot believe how many Teslas I see driving around Orlando. Of course it does get cold here, last night it got down to 49 degrees.:eek:
I woke up to 2° this morning. But the sun is shining so the roads should be clear for my appt tomorrow.

Batteries don't like extreme temperatures, as these Tesla owners in the Chicago area just found out...
That article could be leaving out important details.

I have to wonder if the Tesla owners are doing it correctly. You shouldn't just drive to a Supercharger and then try to use it. They should use the navigation system to get there. What then happens is the car a few minutes before arriving at the charge station will warm up the battery for best Supercharging.

Same for when hot. Telsas have battery coolant to make this possible. And this coolant will last the life of the car. Does not normally need to be changed.

IOW, Telsas prepare the battery for best supercharging temperature before arriving at a Supercharge station. But only when the navigation system is used to get there, since that is the only way it can know to get the battery ready for a Supercharge in advance.

Perhaps having a Supercharger too close can be a problem in extreme cold. It can take a little time for the battery to warm up, needs at least couple of miles of time to do such.

-Don- Reno, NV

Not pre-conditioning the battery will take a 20 minute charge and turn it into an all day event.
I was typing out my message as you posted that.

I wonder what percentage of Tesla owners know to do that. I doubt many read their own owner's manuals about such stuff.

As you know, we often read half-truths when it comes to EVs.

I was hoping you would show up as I assume you have often cold weather supercharged. I never had the need. I only know how it works, but I have no experience with cold weather supercharging.

-Don- Reno, NV

As long as I can, I'll stick with with my 3500 dually, long bed, crew cab, diesel, towing beast pick-up truck! Diesel fuel formulas are manufactured for winter months to prevent jelling. Never had a problem, even in -20 (F) weather.

I was typing out my message as you posted that.

I wonder what percentage of Tesla owners know to do that. I doubt many read their own owner's manuals about such stuff.

As you know, we often read half-truths when it comes to EVs.

I was hoping you would show up as I assume you have often cold weather supercharged. I never had the need. I only know how it works, but I have no experience with cold weather supercharging.

-Don- Reno, NV
Yah. It’s not a big deal. And the cold doesn’t really affect supercharging if you remember to navigate to the charge point. We pinned the charger at 254 kw at minus 15 in Merritt. The local groups up here are kinda laughing at the media’s take on this.

But I think you are right. People know where the supercharger is and just drive there and hook up instead of using the nav pre-condition function. They will make a 20 minute charge into an all day event. 😂

As long as I can, I'll stick with with my 3500 dually, long bed, crew cab, diesel, towing beast pick-up truck! Diesel fuel formulas are manufactured for winter months to prevent jelling. Never had a problem, even in -20 (F) weather.

Same as us with our tesla. Never had a problem at minus 27. 😊

Did anyone report on all the dead ICV batteries, gelled diesel, and cold weather breakdowns? Probably not because it's such a common occurrence.

The media's gonna media. It's all fake news until it supports someone's point of view.

Many of the replies with regard to temperatures here leaves them confusing. Some members are from Canada and use “C” and others use “F”. In this discussion it would really help if you specify which one you are specifically referring to. Thanks.

It's a real issue.
It's a real issue on electric motorcycles when way too hot or way too cold. They have no way to adjust the battery temps, unlike cars. I made the mistake once of riding when it was 104° F/ 40°C here in the Reno area. I rode for around 100 miles and was on the way home stuck in Carson City needing a charge. Bike battery was too hot to charge. I had to wait hours for nighttime for the weather to cool off so it would start charging. Only a few miles from home, but not enough charge to get back to Reno. I almost called a tow truck, but I just waited it out. At least I can connect to the charge station, and it will automatically start the charge when it cools enough. But then when charging it can get too hot again, so it takes forever. So I had dinner and did a lot of walking around in Carson City to wait it out.

I now know not to ride electric motorcycles far when that hot. It's a bummer because electric motorcycles have no engine heat and are best to ride on hot days. They are still great in the heat as long as I am not going far enough to need to recharge.

But if car EV owners would read their manuals about how to charge in temperature extremes, there normally will be no problem. I assume there is a way to prepare the battery for temp extremes in advance in all EV cars. Step one is to read about charging in the manual. Right on the screen in most (all?) EVs so AFAIK, all EV owners always have their manual with them.

Norway has perhaps the most EVs per population. No doubt they can charge up in the cold.

-Don- Reno, NV

Back
Top Bottom