Fuelling Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunflowers

Any tips/pointers for re-fuelling? I have been reading about people not knowing which lane RV's should go in. Also, the great paying on a Credit Card without a US Zip Code problem.

Are we best just paying in cash?

Thanks!

Hi Sunflowers,
Diesel or gas?  I have a diesel truck and when the 5er is on the back, I use truck lanes stations that have them.

It sounds like you live outside the US but will be traveling inside the US.  Is that correct?  While I do keep some cash on hand, I would hate carrying enough to fuel with.  Plus, the whole pre-pay and then go get your change back.  Erg.  Not sure how CCs work when you are inside the US.  I am sure others here can give better info.

Oh, consider updating your profile.  It helps us give better info if we know a bit about where you are coming from.

vinceherman said:
Hi Sunflowers,
Diesel or gas?  I have a diesel truck and when the 5er is on the back, I use truck lanes stations that have them.

It sounds like you live outside the US but will be traveling inside the US.  Is that correct?  While I do keep some cash on hand, I would hate carrying enough to fuel with.  Plus, the whole pre-pay and then go get your change back.  Erg.  Not sure how CCs work when you are inside the US.  I am sure others here can give better info.

Oh, consider updating your profile.  It helps us give better info if we know a bit about where you are coming from.

Thank you for replying to me!! I have no idea if it is diesel or gas which isn't very good is it! We are renting a C25 RV from El Monte and you are correct, we are coming from the UK.
I have read that you need to enter a US Zip code when paying by CC at the petrol station and that it becomes impossible to pay without one! I've figured out that we will need roughly $400 for the entire trip, like you say I don't fancy carrying so much at once!

Off to update my profile now.... ;)

You might be able to go inside the store and see if you can get the clerk to run your credit card from there for the fuel you need.  Have a great visit!

Hi, you will have to prepay either cash or card inside store before fuelling as the machine needs post code. If you have paid over what you need you just go back in for a refund. I'd suggest getting a Halifax clarity card if you need a credit card as their charges are lower than others. I suggest you check out the terms on the website, but we have used the card a lot and it's cheaper.

Pretty sure a C25 is Gas.

That can be a problem but doesn't have to be.

You will need to plan your exit before you enter a gas station just like the rest of us do here.
IF you are unsure about hitting anything, have a passenger get out and check, so you don't hit anything.

As far as credit cards I agree that it's more than likely that you will have to go inside a GAS station as we don't call them Petrol stations here.  ;D
Either pay with cash - American Cash that is - or maybe use a credit card if there readers give an authorization code.

It's good to see you doing research before you get here. 

I think it will depend on where you travel using credit cards and zip codes.  As I travel East, I find you need a zip code.  Using many different stations in the Midwest, I find zip codes are not needed.

RedandSilver said:
Pretty sure a C25 is Gas.

That can be a problem but doesn't have to be.

You will need to plan your exit before you enter a gas station just like the rest of us do here.
IF you are unsure about hitting anything, have a passenger get out and check, so you don't hit anything.

As far as credit cards I agree that it's more than likely that you will have to go inside a GAS station as we don't call them Petrol stations here.  ;D
Either pay with cash - American Cash that is - or maybe use a credit card if there readers give an authorization code.

Thank you! Can you explain what you mean by planning our exit before we enter the Gas station please? Do you not just drive in, re-fuel and then drive back out again?

It's good to see you doing research before you get here.

What he means is to pick a route through the station suited for the larger vehicle. Should not really be a problem for a small class c, but worth considering before entering the  station. The end pumps often make entering and departing easier.

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
What he means is to pick a route through the station suited for the larger vehicle. Should not really be a problem for a small class c, but worth considering before entering the  station. The end pumps often make entering and departing easier.

Ernie

Ernie got it right about what I meant.

I'll add this.

Not knowing how much RV driving you have done AND assuming this will be the first time driving the unit YOU will be renting, there are a few things that MAY be different here in the USA.

In big cities, Gas Stations can become very crowded.  With the type of RV your renting there is a fair amount of overhang behind the rear wheels.  It's easy to hit something with the overhang.  Even experienced drivers do sometimes and usually it comes down to not having
planned the exit well enough.  Some pumps are designed so you can drive through them and those tend to be the easiest ones to use.
Others you drive in and then have to make a turn to exit - that's where a problem can come into play.  Depending on the station layout you might pull in and then someone pulls in behind you - so you can't back up. 

What I have been doing in preparation for a trip I'm taking - is use Google Earth and find stations along my route, then I use the street view
to see if they are able to accept my size vehicle with a trailer.  Most of the time I'm looking for Truck Lanes because I use Diesel fuel.

I think you be just fine - just drive very slowly when gas pumps, other cars, people, and the dreaded pump guarding is around. 
When in doubt stop and get out and look.  If you do that you should have no problems.

Hope you enjoy the USA.  And I assume you know this but don't forget we drive on the right side of the road.  ;D

What we find really bad is the exit where there are drainage ditches for excess water. Trailer scraped through a few. Now we approach them side on which seems a bit better. It is amazing how shallow a dip needs to be to catch you out. 

We are from the UK and certainly in the west we mostly were asked for the zip but we then stopped trying the card at pump and just went inside, so maybe some don't ask, but you get fed up trying ?

Don't be concerned about blocking two pumps while you fill up. Take all the room you need and don't let anyone rush you.

Most people are good about being patient. In all the years we've been camping, only two people have complained that I was taking too long or blocking a pump. I told them next time don't get in line behind a motorhome.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom