Fumes in Garage Area on ToyHaulers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firefighter

Greetings to all. 

I currently have a 89 24 footer that I tow behind my 05 Dodge Cummins.  I have a bed mounted rack to put my toys on and then haul my trailer to and from our favorite spots.  I am in the process of looking for a bigger trailer specifically a ToyHauler that has separate garage area in the back of the trailer.  The one that I want also has 2 queen beds that can be put down when the toys are out of the trailer.  My wife is not liking this idea because she thinks that the gas and oil fumes will affect the sleeping area or any part of the trailer for that matter.  These trailers have vents in the back and should be like a garage at home, open it up and let it air out and it should be fine.  Does anyone have any Pro's or Con's on this type of trailer or has anyone had any experience with one.  Thanks in advance for any and all replys. ???

We have a Toy Hauler, and I have carried my four wheeler during hunting season, and an outboard for a small boat while camping and never had any problems. While traveling, I open the directional vents on the sides which will pull air in the front and flow it out the back while travelling. Ours has the wall in between the garage and main section with a gasketed door, I preferred that over the "all in one"style design. I will be carrying a golf cart this year and will do the same just in case of any fumes with the batteries, but we never notice any fumes. I always open up and air out with the fan when we arrive just to make double sure.You are opening the rear gate anyway, so it is not a big deal to turn the fan on and open two windows while you are getting set up. We love the extra room in the back for carrying our gear and sometimes set it up as a seperate bedroom with a queen blowup if we have others camping with us.

Good question.  I have wondered how those using the toy haulers to carry toys like ATVs deal with the fumes.  I for one wouldn't even consider being in a closed area where gas fumes might be present.

It is an interesting question.  The gasketed door mentioned by Jan Paul is the same principle used by diesel pusher manufacturers where the engine is under the bedroom.  When looking at pushers we always lift the bed to see if there's a gasket to seal off the bed from where fumes (and heat) might emanate.  We've occasionally heard people complain that they have fumes in their bedrooms and they generally have lesser quality motorhomes.  The "higher end" manufacturers all use gaskets to prevent leakage.  If you have good seals at the door between the two compartments, I shouldn't think there would be a problem.

ArdraF

While I haven't looked closely at toy haulers the few I have looked inside of did not appear to have any gaskets like the ones mentioned.  Not a problem here though since I cannot see us ever having one. ;D

Thanks for the replys so far.  I am going to an RV show this weekend so I will look at the door seals very closely.

We have a Raptor and carry up to 6 different machines and never have any issues with fumes.  My raptor has 3 side vents plus a power fan vent on top.  We also have a hard wall between the garage and the living area so it works well.  Many Toy Haulers have the toys loaded into the living area.  I would not want that!  Good luck. DRM

most of the vehicles (toys) you throw in the back are vented tanks so there wont be an issue of spillage even at altitude changes when traveling. the only concern for fumes is spillage. regardless of the seperate garage or open floorplan, there are enough vents and circulation methods and devices to rid fumes. the only thing I really had a problem with was older style gas can with no vent and it leaked a little, I was able to get rid of the fumes in no time with kitty litter. I tell most folks with a toy hauler to have a bag of kitty litter on hand for small spillls. the only reason I had a gas can was for diesel anyways, most toy haulers have a external fueling station so the only time you have a chance to spill any fuel will be outside.

during races I have had people stay in the enclosed garage portion on my toy hauler and they had no problems with fumes.

In my toyhauler we did not have the vents,  We did have windows and a vapor wall.  Never smelled any fumes.  I was hauling motorcycles that were sealed and vented quite well.  I suspect if you were hauling a lawn mower or gas cans you might have odor.  One of the most efficent rigs I have ever owned.
Phil 

Back
Top Bottom